Overcoming hypersexuality

Has anyone here successfully overcome hypersexuality (not clinical sexual addiction)? I've a friend who seems to fit the profile. He is a few years post-divorce, middle-aged, lovely man, but no hobbies and very few friends. So his pastime is dating/ sleeping around. Always short-term flings (weeks to months). Even if he tries to find women for viable long-term relationships they're generally incompatible or even unavailable emotionally. I've suggested he meet others through events or meetups on his own, but he seems to not have enough will power and inevitably reverts to the cycle of pointless dating.

• Like 2
major_merrick

Sometimes it is just a life phase. It was for me, anyway. I was depressed, lonely, and stressed out with no escape. I turned to alcohol, drugs, and sex. Sex gave way to enjoying painful sex and finding as many people as possible.

Mostly, I just had to get through to a better spot in life. If your friend has been divorced, that's probably the root cause. One of my close friends had a couple of rough breakups and one divorce, and he kind of went nuts for a while until a girl loved him so much he just couldn't say no to her and settled down again.

I'm not sure if a cycle of pointless dating is necessarily hypersexuality. But people vary. Mine took the form of a different girl EVERY NIGHT. I actually started keeping statistics just for giggles, and logged over 400 different girls in one year. Yes, life can change and things can get better, or at least more "normal" once certain stresses go away.

I almost started a similar thread last night.

I was wondering how to recognize sexual addiction. If a guy in his 40s was a sex addict, what are the chances of growing out of it? Getting tired of it?