Opiate induced psychotic break.

whirl3daway

Has anyone ever experienced anything with this?

My ex-fiancé, who is f'ed up in the head beyond all imagination, has landed in the psych ward for the SECOND TIME this year due to having a full-scale psychotic break. Delusions, paranoia, hallucinations, the works.

The first time was in January. He had been doing blues - 30mg oxycodone pills - for over a year and decided to stop doing them cold turkey. During cold turkey week, he decided to do shrooms, Adderall, and some assorted other drugs. He got obsessed with a mystery about GTA:V, and fell down the proverbial rabbit hole.

It ended up with him telling me that he had to commit suicide to solve it. His family was in total denial of anything happening, despite his lunatic ravings, and since we work together, I saw all of it going down and had to get him committed to a facility.

He was put on an anti-psychotic, a mood stabilizer, and an anti-depressant. This left him zombie-like, and he refused to continue going to therapy once he was out of outpatient. This led to him stopping his GOOD drugs, and he also fell back into the habit of doing blues again.

BTW, these things cost $25-30 a PILL. They are so expensive. I'd never even heard of them before he copped to this habit.

Since he started doing blues again and not taking his pills and THEN decided to DO THE SAME FREAKIN' THING by quitting cold turkey... well, guess what? He triggered another psychotic break. I did not do anything this time except nag his family into getting him committed again, which they finally did... AFTER he got banned from being at work, and they found him shoe-less, money-less and trying to break into his old high school because he wanted to apologize to someone for stealing their college entrance application.

His delusions were really centered around sexual stuff this time... he was hypersexual and wanted to do all kinds of insane sexual things, like trying to have sex with his male roomie while being straight (?), etc...

I've never experienced anything like this before. It was like something out of a movie... it was terrifying. People at work are scared, but they can't do anything about firing him because it's a mental health issue.

Anyway... I was just posting this as an FYI that this kind of thing can happen, and also to see if anyone else has ever experienced this...

Edited by whirl3daway
Clarence_Boddicker

Read or listen to what Dr Drew from Loveline has to say about brain damage/rewiring that many drugs can do to people with addictive personalities. Basically people like that have brains that are easily affected by drugs & taking drugs permanently tweaks their brains. Some people can take drugs & not get effected like that & others can get that switch flicked with only a few uses. That is what some addicts have an almost impossible struggle to get clean.

• Like 1