Xanax Recovery

I posted in a couple of forums but didn't receive feedback.

I have been caring for a family member for a year now who is a former

Xanax addict. I recently found out that their Psychiatrist has prescribed them a new benzo (Clonazepam) temporarily...

Does anyone know if it is a typical practice to prescribe a former Xanax addict, a different benzo post rehab? And, should I be worried about this?

Back history. Patient is in their 60's and has battled depression and anxiety for decades. Became addicted to Xanax several years back, it got out of control, patient was sent to live near me and under my care full time. Patient underweant detox and rehab for 2 months, and has been in an outpatient program post rehab (about 6 months now).

Now I just discovered that apparently, they had taken benzos post recovery and the treating physician prescribed it. I asked why I wasn't told this information beforehand, and the reason given was that it's just on an 'as needed' basis and didn't want to worry me.

It's being prescribed again, because the patient is visiting with relatives out of town and I think with the change of environment, temporary lack of outpatient care and having to leave again (i.e., coming back here), patient is having a difficult time coping.

I am going to contant the Psychiatrist come Monday to investigate a bit further but what I am wondering is, is it normal practice to prescribe a new benzo, to someone who is a recovering benzo addict?

Aside from this, there has been a remarkable change in this person overall and has been doing very well for the past several months since. My current fear is that they are going to regress, but, I don't know how that is even possible since they cannot obtain benzos without a routine prescription?

Yeah its quite common to prescribe a longer acting, less powerful benzo when tapering.a patient off of xanaxa/benzos. Google the Ashton manual for more information on the subject if you haven't seen it already.

• Author
Yeah its quite common to prescribe a longer acting, less powerful benzo when tapering.a patient off of xanaxa/benzos. Google the Ashton manual for more information on the subject if you haven't seen it already.

Thanks for the reply.

Actually, patient has been off of Xanax completely for about 6 months. In any case, I spoke with their doctor today and they explained everything to me (which, was what I kind of already concluded they'd say based on a bit of research I did).

They are only giving a 10-day supply while patient is out visiting relatives. Once back, that will no longer be the case and it's back to regular outpatient care. So, I feel much better now knowing what's what and having spoken with her Doctor. Phew!