My girlfriend was abused in her past

Hi Everyone,

My girlfriend was abused very badly for a long time 8 years ago. She never really dealt with it and due to taking hormones from a surgery recently, she has (in the past week or 2) started to overlay her feeling of fear onto me. She is aware of this and asked me to give her space. I am doing my best but as I am a very talkative and emotional person, she is not (she likes to keep things to herself).

I have never been violent but rather loving and supportive. I would like to know what I can do. I know there isn't much and asked for space and I am giving her that which hurts very much as I miss her and want to see her. We saw each other yesterday for the first time since she broke down and was looking a lot better and I hope she continues to improve but I am scared of loosing her (or that she will not improve. She was keeping her distance but she was happy to see me.

I have been told by some people that after a few weeks she should calm down and hopefully be back to normal when the hormones wear off but she has re-opened a can of worms from her past and as she is the quiet type I cant gauge where she is at. She doesn't want to talk to me (but asked to communicate every couple of days) and says she has feelings (although now she feels numb) and said she would like to continue the relationship when she is better.

If anyone can give me some advice on what to do I would appreciate it.

The original link is here which explains more in detail http://www.loveshack.org/forums/breaking-up-reconciliation-coping/coping/345856-how-cope-during-break-whatever

again any advice on this would be appreciated.