Steps to take after sexual assault

losangelena

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone has some insight into this.

My 21-year-old cousin was sexually assaulted and raped by her ex-boyfriend over the weekend. She went to the ER and talked to the police, but I'm wondering, now what?

What's the process after someone goes through something like this? Do police follow up? Does she need to press charges? If she does, what's the likelihood that he'll face and penalties/consequences?

I'm so hopping mad at this "man." He is almost 40 years old. What's he doing harming his 21-year-old ex? I'm sorry, there is no excuse in the world big enough for that. He is the lowest form of low.

I want to find out this stuff to know what my cousin's options are, and to be informed so that someone can let her know what she can do. I doubt she will seek out this info on her own, especially being so young/vulnerable and the fact that it's her ex.

Any insight/help is most appreciated. Thanks!

The state would press charges if they feel her case is prosecutable, so that's not on her. I assume the talk with the police resulted in the filing of a report, etc., and that the contact officer left her a card? Did they have any input on it before they left? If you have any questions, contact the officer on the card, who'll at least forward you to the investigating officer if the case is in the pipeline. If it's being investigated, they'll gather their info and present it to the prosecutor, who'll determine whether to file charges or not.

Law enforcement works for you (the citizen), so don't ever feel bad about treating them like a vendor. They're there to help and provide answers.

Well she really needs support. Please be there for her. Spend the night at her place or invite her over. Take her hand.

So sorry this happened to her.