Do the same rules apply when dating a victim?

TalesoftheWireMonkey

TalesoftheWireMonkey

I've grown close to someone who's coming out of an emotional, psychological and physically abusive marriage.

Do all my insecurities about being friend-zoned, strung-along, being her wet-blanket apply?

How about all this playing it cool, playing aloof etc?

And all the other dating advice across this site?

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking but she needs to know that you would never harm her in any way. It may take time to prove yourself but you can do it. The truth is, she doesn't need to get emotionally involved with anyone right now. What she needs to do is reflect on her past relationship until she makes some sense out of it.

I think the best thing you could do in this situation is let her know that you're very attracted to her but that you understand that she needs time to get to know you and to sort out her feelings from her previous marriage. Let her know that you're willing to be a listening ear in the meantime; until she decides what she wants. Abusive guys would behave in the opposite way -- they would rush the relationship and make it conditional -- if you refrain from doing those things, you would be way ahead of the game. Also for her to have a male perspective on her abusive ex's behavior would be very healing for her.