can i file a restraining order against my ex if i intiated the physical altercation?

WiselyNaive

WiselyNaive

i know im wrong because i sought him out & hit him first but there is an entire back story and im still shaking & jarred so i cant type it out right now...all I can say is im scared of him and he picked me up & threw me down twice and im bruised up....and i dont want him arrested i just want something legal that doesnt allow us to contact each other because im scared of him & im scared of what this can turn into if he gets upset again

so can i file a restraining order if i initiated it or will i be arrested as soon as i tell the police does anyone know?

It's possible, but you would have to have evidence of past aggression on his part.

Seek advice form a legal quarter. Some lawyers give a 'first half-hour free' session. Or ask a women's charity/shelter.

I would think you could apply for a restraining order but surely a judge will look at both party's cases and stories and decide what is appropriate. Regardless, I think they'd need your story to be able to make a decision. Given that you sought him out to hit him, it doesn't sound like you are that scared of him. If you are, it's a very strange way of showing it! Are you sure you are not scared of what you two are capable of doing to each other when you get together?

You said you are afraid of what could happen if he gets upset again? You sought him out and it all went to hell -- if you stay away from him and stop seeking him out I have a feeling he will stay in his corner and you will stay in yours. Unless you believe you have no ability to adhere to NC therefore the order will enforce it for you? It's not like he's stalking you to want to hurt you.

I don't condone violence but you're just as guilty as he is. And if you were that scared of him, assuming he has always been this way, then it doesn't seem that you were that scared when you went looking to create a violent situation.

amaysngrace

If you're so afraid of him then why did you seek him out and then hit him?

I'm no judge but if I were I'd throw your case out and fine you pretty heavily for wasting the court's time.

Cops have better things to do than clean up the mess you create.