LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Abuse

Do many hispanic men have that controlling instinct?


Abuse Support for and discussion of psychological, physical, and sexual abuse.

Like Tree3Likes
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th December 2012, 9:47 PM   #16
Established Member
 
MrCastle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 10,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by M30USA View Post
At my place of employment, which is the 2nd largest in the country for its field, we were given in our training manual a description of certain tendencies and/or traits to be aware of in specific races/nationalities. My employer has some pretty heavy duty executives and HR staff. Are you saying they are stuck in the dark ages for doing this?
Absolutely. Very politically incorrect and again, we're on the brink of 2013 here. This isn't 1975, this is 2013. Surely enough time has passed for people to stop judging others using archaic, dated, inaccurate, and most of all, offensive stereotypes? One would hope. Apparently not, judging by the first page of this thread. Maybe one day.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetkiwi View Post
Castle is every woman's type. Even if they don't know it yet.
MrCastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2012, 10:11 PM   #17
Established Member
 
sweetjasmine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCastle View Post
This thread is absolutely disgusting. You know, it's 2012, soon to be 2013. Are we still living our lives based off stereotypes? Really?

I'm a hispanic man and I've never even thought about laying my hands on a woman. I've been stalked two different times for being "the greatest guy" the woman had ever known because I supposedly treated them so well.

I absolutely love and respect women and can only be with those that are independent and have their own say when it comes to our relationship. No controlling behavior, no threats of violence, I don't even raise my voice in arguments. Not just with women, but with anyone.

People that still live life based on archaic stereotypes need to step out of the house more.

There are bad seeds in every ethnicity. Stop being ignorant.
I'm sorry, Mr. Castle, were you not copied on the memo? You know, the one all of us Hispanics got telling us that we're supposed to act like wild animals that need to be tamed and strictly controlled, lest we snap and abuse poor white people who know what's good for us. Get with the program, hombre, before I slam a cast iron pan on your head. It's those uncontrollable emotions, you know. If only I were rational and docile like all the other races and ethnic groups. Then maybe my white husband would let me out of my cage.
MrCastle likes this.
sweetjasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2012, 10:20 PM   #18
Established Member
 
MrCastle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 10,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetjasmine View Post
I'm sorry, Mr. Castle, were you not copied on the memo? You know, the one all of us Hispanics got telling us that we're supposed to act like wild animals that need to be tamed and strictly controlled, lest we snap and abuse poor white people who know what's good for us. Get with the program, hombre, before I slam a cast iron pan on your head. It's those uncontrollable emotions, you know. If only I were rational and docile like all the other races and ethnic groups. Then maybe my white husband would let me out of my cage.
What you say? Please excuse me as my english is very poor. I'm having one of my seven children help teach it to me. At least I think he's mine. You know latinas, you can never trust them to be faithful. They are completely ruled by their fiery emotions.
MrCastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 12:00 AM   #19
Established Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCastle View Post
Absolutely. Very politically incorrect and again, we're on the brink of 2013 here. This isn't 1975, this is 2013. Surely enough time has passed for people to stop judging others using archaic, dated, inaccurate, and most of all, offensive stereotypes? One would hope. Apparently not, judging by the first page of this thread. Maybe one day.
Actually, my company is involved in patient care. Therefore, by characteristic, it is beneficial to study the generalities of races/nationalities. If you DON'T, you are actually giving sub-par patient care. Ever think about that? Certain nationalities have their own customs regarding communication styles, male/female roles, and death beliefs. To walk up to a family without this knowledge is to walk into a potential landmine. I don't think you understand what you're saying on this one. I'm just going to leave it here.
M30USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 12:17 AM   #20
Established Member
 
MrCastle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 10,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by M30USA View Post
Actually, my company is involved in patient care. Therefore, by characteristic, it is beneficial to study the generalities of races/nationalities. If you DON'T, you are actually giving sub-par patient care. Ever think about that? Certain nationalities have their own customs regarding communication styles, male/female roles, and death beliefs. To walk up to a family without this knowledge is to walk into a potential landmine. I don't think you understand what you're saying on this one. I'm just going to leave it here.
How does that knowledge help in the dating world? Please enlighten me on how assuming ignorant stereotypes of various ethnicities helps you in your dating life. That's what this thread is about. Hispanic men allegedly being controlling because it's in their "blood" or "culture", due to the hispanic women being "emotional" and "fiery"
MrCastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 8:08 PM   #21
Established Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCastle View Post
How does that knowledge help in the dating world? Please enlighten me on how assuming ignorant stereotypes of various ethnicities helps you in your dating life. That's what this thread is about. Hispanic men allegedly being controlling because it's in their "blood" or "culture", due to the hispanic women being "emotional" and "fiery"
Are you a woman or man?

If you were walking home late at night and saw a man coming the opposite way on your sidewalk, wouldn't you walk the other way to avoid him? Of course you would. Is that stereotyping males? Of course it is. But sometimes stereotypes help us to function in the world and can help us be safe.

In my case, I was completely unaware of the stereotype about hispanic families as being smotheringly close and intrusive. I never heard about this because I lived in a highly politically correct area which is probably much like what you believe. As a result, I wasn't aware how this ethnic trait would affect me since I married a hispanic woman. I am very private and independent and I don't like people butting into my business. I wish--how I wish--that someone had informed of these stereotypes so that, even if they were FALSE, I could have at least had time to THINK about them and weigh their merit on my own.
M30USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 9:37 PM   #22
Established Member
 
MrCastle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 10,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by M30USA View Post
Are you a woman or man?

If you were walking home late at night and saw a man coming the opposite way on your sidewalk, wouldn't you walk the other way to avoid him? Of course you would. Is that stereotyping males? Of course it is. But sometimes stereotypes help us to function in the world and can help us be safe.
Once again, nothing to do with dating.

Quote:
In my case, I was completely unaware of the stereotype about hispanic families as being smotheringly close and intrusive. I never heard about this because I lived in a highly politically correct area which is probably much like what you believe. As a result, I wasn't aware how this ethnic trait would affect me since I married a hispanic woman. I am very private and independent and I don't like people butting into my business. I wish--how I wish--that someone had informed of these stereotypes so that, even if they were FALSE, I could have at least had time to THINK about them and weigh their merit on my own.
And herein lies the problem. This is not an ethnic trait. It is a perceived ethnic trait, or, a stereotype. Stereotypes don't help progress race relations and instead keep people misinformed and ignorant, as evidenced by the replies on the first page of this thread.

I too am a very private person and don't like intrusive people. my family is the same way. That goes against this "trait" you speak of though, so what happened, did I not get that gene? Am I a genetic defect for not being intrusive or, as OP spoke on, controlling and temperamental? I'd say no.

People are individuals. Judge them accordingly.
MrCastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 9:58 PM   #23
Established Member
 
MrCastle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 10,691
The other thing that needs to be clarified is that there is a big difference between cultural and racial/ethnic stereotypes. You want to talk cultural, that is different, and a case can be made for that.

For example, if you want to talk about how people that live in poor neighborhoods identify with the same culture, that's one thing. If you go to one of those neighborhoods, you may see blacks, hispanics, whites, whatever, that talk the same, believe similar things, dress the same, listen to the same music, etc. It's not their race that determined that, but their upbringing, their environment. That's their culture. That's all they know.

So for me, growing up in a middle class community, I was raised to believe certain things, behave a certain way, etc. Based on what was around me. I'm a middle class kid like any other middle class kid you're going to meet. Because of the environment I was raised in, not because of my ethnic background.

The problem is when you try to slap that kind of stereotype on races. As if there is actually something in my blood, in my dna, that causes me to have traits that other races would not. That's when it becomes a problem.

When I'm seen as loud, uneducated, controlling, temperamental, etc, because a guy who looks like me acts that way, even though he was raised in a completely different environment than I was, that's a problem.

If I see a black person in a ghetto, wearing baggy clothes, speaking in slang, I'm not going to believe that a black raised in a middle-upper class suburban home acts the same. As if somehow the need to wear baggy clothes and speak slang is an inherited genetic trait in african americans.

That's the problem. Don't look at the skin color of the people, look at their individual background. I don't identify with these perceived stereotypes of hispanics because I grew up differently. It's not something that's passed down no matter what environment you were born in.

If a hispanic grew up in a household where being controlling and excessively macho was accepted, then they will continue that mold. But that's on that individual hispanic. I grew up in a household where things like that were not tolerated. I wasn't raised believing that men are in charge and women better listen to and respect the man, or else. That's just not what I grew up being taught, so I don't identify with it. But you're going to look at him, and look at me, see that we both have similar physical qualities, and automatically assume that we have the same personality type. That's what makes it ignorant.

Last edited by MrCastle; 19th December 2012 at 10:17 PM..
MrCastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 11:55 PM   #24
Established Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCastle View Post
I too am a very private person and don't like intrusive people. my family is the same way. That goes against this "trait" you speak of though, so what happened, did I not get that gene? Am I a genetic defect for not being intrusive or, as OP spoke on, controlling and temperamental? I'd say no.

People are individuals. Judge them accordingly.
That's good.

I never said all stereotypes are true for all people within a race/nationality.

What I did say is that it's good to be aware of stereotypes, that way you can potentially see certain things coming, or be more ready if they happen.

Obviously, if you STOP at that stereotype and lack the discernment to see people as individuals, then that just means you're plain old stupid. That's the only thing you can criticize. To critize stereotyping is to criticize the basic human tendency to recognize patterns and trends in life. You might as well say, "Stop stereotyping people who are overweight by saying they are more likely to develop high blood pressure." It's a fact that they are. So you might as well be aware of it. However, you can still have high blood pressure and be normal weight or underweight. But knowing certain trends is still beneficial--as long as you possess sound judgement and know when to break from trends, as you say.
M30USA is offline   Reply With Quote
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

 

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
White vs. Hispanic Men gap Dating 4 12th May 2011 2:03 AM
Gift + apology to Hispanic date Gold Pile Dating 8 17th October 2005 3:04 AM
How to impress my Hispanic Woman? Gold Pile Dating 44 4th October 2005 1:22 AM

 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 6:53 PM.

Please note: The suggestions and advice offered on this web site are opinions only and are not to be used in the place of professional psychological counseling or medical advice. If you or someone close to you is currently in crisis or in an emergency situation, contact your local law enforcement agency or emergency number.


Copyright © 1997-2013 LoveShack.org. All Rights Reserved.