Adult Stepson

Excedrin PM

Hi,

I could use some feedback/advice. My SS is always trying to emotionally

jab at my husband thru his actions. Here's the scenario: He'll invite us to events that always involve us bringing a gift and then, completely ignore his father. He does this at weddings, holidays, birthdays, etc. My husband has tried to talk to him, but he remains mute. Holidays are stessful, and very uncomfortable. He hasn't seen or talked to his father in nine months on the phone, but still sends him invitations where a gift is expected and silence prevails.

CautiouslyOptimistic

What's the reason for the breakdown in the relationship in the first place?

• Author
Excedrin PM

Excellent question, and I don't know the answer. My hubby has tried to find out, but SS won't say. All I know is that it began before I was around.

CautiouslyOptimistic
Excellent question, and I don't know the answer. My hubby has tried to find out, but SS won't say. All I know is that it began before I was around.

That is sad :(. If grandkids are not involved (yet), maybe you guys should just inform him that you'll be keeping your distance until he's ready to share what's going on to make him behave this way.

• Like 1

Do you know the circumstances of your husband's divorce from his ex? How old was the son when it happened?

Mr. Lucky

• Author
Excedrin PM

My DH was a widower. SS was 26 when she passed from a 15 year long battle. Apparently he would not spend time with her either.

CautiouslyOptimistic
My DH was a widower. SS was 26 when she passed from a 15 year long battle. Apparently he would not spend time with her either.

What are everyone's religious beliefs in this dynamic? I only ask because I have a family member who isn't speaking to his parents (and plans to never do so again) due to religious differences. It's heartbreaking for all involved.

If I were your husband I would politely decline the invitations from now on.

It sounds very strange that he just pulled away grom his dad.

• Like 1

Strange. Based on your other thread, it would seem there's resentment towards you from a number of family members, not just your SS. Do you know why that is?

Mr. Lucky