Tell us about your worst date

I thought this would be fun, and I like scaring all the married folks. :laugh:

Tell us about your worst date. Just one please, I know some of you have had eleventy-million worst dates, but just pick the worst one.

Go!

littleblackheart

I was 19 in prep school back home in France. I'd helped this guy (friend of a friend) with an essay he had to do in English (I was Arts, he was science and his English was really bad). He got top mark and invited me for a drink to thank me. We lived one floor away in the same block of flats so I said ok. Bad move.

When I turned up, there was a candlelit dinner ready on the table (he'd cooked spag bol from scratch) with a rose in a vase. I didn't even know it was meant to be a date. My first reaction was 'oh ****', my second reaction was to want to disappear but I was so confused and shocked (and didn't want to humiliate him) that, against my better judgement, I decided to stay. Most awkward meal I've had in my life. During dinner (which wasn't even nice), he proceeded to tell me I reminded him of his beloved twin sister who'd died a couple of years back, and tried to kiss me on the back of that.

I don't even remember how I left his flat or what I said to him when I left. All I remember was me frantically running the stairs to my flat and bolting the door. I don't remember his name but 24 years on, I'm still very freaked out by this.

Weirdest 'non date' ever.

• Like 2
  • Author

I'm sure I've had a few but the last one I remember was from OLD. I had been on there for a while and not seeing anyone I liked for a long time. Then suddenly one day a guys profile shows up that I liked and he seemed normal. I couldn't believe it. I felt so happy. He was really attractive looking, local, had a nicely written profile, was age-appropriate and polite. We exchanged a couple of messages and then he asked me out that saturday night. I was excited.

So Saturday comes and we agreed to go to dinner downtown. He lives downtown so we agreed to meet at his house and walk to a restaurant down there. Of course it was stupid of me to go to his house first time meeting, I know that now.

So I get to his place and everything is fine. We're talking and everything is great. He looked great and he complimented me. We walked to a restaurant a couple of blocks over and spent I guess a few hours there, because we closed the place down, we were connecting so well. I remember thinking to myself "Wow, I think I might have a new boyfriend now - Whudda thunk?!". He told me he liked me a lot and I reciprocated.

Once the restaurant closed he asked if I wanted to go somewhere else to have a drink so we could continue the night. Neither of us wanted it to end yet. So we got in his car and drove to a bar across town. When we arrived at the bar, I left my purse in his car (not wise, I know) and we went in. We continued to google over each other and such there. It was all nice and sweet and not creepy or too much.

After an hour or so, he asks if I was ready to leave and I said yes, but let me use the bathroom first. I go to the bathroom and of course there is a line for the ladies room. I stand in the line and I can see him from where I was standing so I'm sure he could see me. As I'm waiting for the bathroom, there is a lady in front of me that I start chatting with. (I'm very chatty) She is super nice and funny too. She tells me that she's from Puerto Rico and is going back to visit soon. I tell her that I want to hear all about it because I've been wanting to go there for a long time now. She says yeah lets trade numbers and I'll tell you about it.

After both her and I get out of the bathroom, I bring her over to the table with my date and introduce her to my date. I tell him that she's going to Puerto Rico I want to hear about it so we are going to trade numbers. She says I have a pen at my table so come over there so I can write it down. I told my date that I will get her number and be right back. I go over to her table to get it and she briefly introduces me to her friends, then I go back to my date. This place is not big at all, everything is within eye shot.

When I arrive back at the table where my date was, he was gone. No where in sight. I look around thinking he went to the bathroom, but nothing. He is no where in sight. There is music blasting, it's dark and I had a couple of drinks in me so I was confused. I walk back and forth and back and forth looking for this dude but he is truly gone. I couldn't believe it. I asked some guys to look for him in the mens bathroom but they didn't see him. I was in tears and told everyone in the bar and they all felt sorry for me. My new Puerto Rican friend assured me that he just went to the store next door and will be right back, that he didn't leave me. She was so sweet. So I wanted to believe her and waited.

I couldn't even call anyone to come and get me because my purse, cell phone, money and CAR KEYS were in his car. My car was at his house. So I waited some more, still crying. I was crying because I hadn't dated in so long and thought it was hopeless and here he comes along and I think my prayers have been answered, had the greatest date and wow, to end like this? Leave me here stranded without saying a word. What did I do wrong?

Eventually my newfound friends offered me a ride. Probably because I looked so pathetic sitting there crying and waiting. They knew it was our first date and that I liked him. So we go to his house to get my car. We drive up and there his car is parked in his driveway. I couldn't believe it. So me and Puerto Rican friend knock on his door. She says, let me handle this. He opens the door and still has his same clothes on. (it's probably 1am by this time). Friend says, why did you leave her, she's out here crying now? He says, "well you were talking to someone else, so I just left." I was in shock, I just stood there looking. Friend says, "Well, we're not GAY, I don't know what you were thinking". He says with attitude, "I don't know what you want me to do". Then I said, my purse is in your car, I just came here to get my purse. He says, "What, do you think I'm a purse snatcher or something?!". OMG. I was in total shock.

I got my purse, my car, thanked my friend and left. I was so sad that this turned into such a horrible night. The next day I get on the dating site and he has blocked me. I guess I was that horrible to him.

In hindsight, I think he had some serious issues, but I was so traumatized at the time that I got off the dating site and didn't date for a couple of years.

So that's my worst date.

• Like 8
Happy Lemming

I had blind date way back in the late 80's. It was with a woman who was studying to be a psychologist or a psychiatrist or something like that.

When I arrived to pick her up, she invited me in and told me we couldn't leave until I completed a couple of tests. One of which was the "Rorschach Inkblot Test" and another test where I had to look at pictures and draw them (this one was timed) I don't remember the name of it, but it was stressful because you had to get something down on paper before time was called.

After she tabulated the results, this wanna be psychiatrist deemed me unsuitable to date and sent me on my way. She blasted me with a whole host of crap about my personality and all of these flaws. The only thing I remember, is she said I had "Mommy issues" which I have no idea what that was supposed to mean and I didn't describe anything using "texture" words. Again, no idea what that was supposed to mean either.

In hind sight, I should of just turned around and left when she told me about these tests I had to take, but I was somewhat curious about the

"Rorschach Inkblot Test".

So I don't know if it counts as a date because we didn't actually go anywhere, as I didn't pass the "Pre-Date" psych test.

• Like 7
  • Author
I had blind date way back in the late 80's. It was with a woman who was studying to be a psychologist or a psychiatrist or something like that.

When I arrived to pick her up, she invited me in and told me we couldn't leave until I completed a couple of tests. One of which was the "Rorschach Inkblot Test" and another test where I had to look at pictures and draw them (this one was timed) I don't remember the name of it, but it was stressful because you had to get something down on paper before time was called.

After she tabulated the results, this wanna be psychiatrist deemed me unsuitable to date and sent me on my way. She blasted me with a whole host of crap about my personality and all of these flaws. The only thing I remember, is she said I had "Mommy issues" which I have no idea what that was supposed to mean and I didn't describe anything using "texture" words. Again, no idea what that was supposed to mean either.

In hind sight, I should of just turned around and left when she told me about these tests I had to take, but I was somewhat curious about the

"Rorschach Inkblot Test".

So I don't know if it counts as a date because we didn't actually go anywhere, as I didn't pass the "Pre-Date" psych test.

That is amusing.

I've always wondered what it'd be like to date a psychologist/psychiatrist...

Happy Lemming
That is amusing.

I've always wondered what it'd be like to date a psychologist/psychiatrist...

I have no idea... I didn't make it out of the starting gate...

LOL!!

• Like 1

I picked her up in a bar, we went for breakfast and talked all night. Took her home and she never left. 15 years later we got divorced on the grounds of her being the worst person I have ever met or will ever meet in my entire assistance. I should went to the strip bar with my friends instead.

• Like 2

Once went on a few dates with a woman and when I brought back to my place she did nothing but criticize my record collection, how I decorated and my dvd collection so I came back at her and asked if I can go to her place and critique everything. Strangely enough she wanted another date.

• Like 6

Oh man, my worst date was a multi-day disaster.

Backstory ...

Was set up with an usher in my brother's wedding who would be walking me, a bridesmaid, down the aisle.

The point was so we could be acquainted but he pursued me for more. I liked him - my mind was open.

We chatted on AOL (2005!) For a month, leveled up to phone calls, exchanged multiple honest and realistic pictures (both of us were honest), then he booked a plane ticket from upstate New York to come and meet me a good six months before the wedding. I was thrilled, I had just gone through a break up and this guy was 28 ... I was 19 ... I felt so mature and cool.

Now, the weekend ...

When I met him at the airport his first words were "You chose to wear that?" I had on my best hiphugger jeans and a cute pink blouse. I was crushed.

He, meanwhile, wore a suit for his flight and clearly looked down on my lack of refinement. When we went out with my family to a seafood restaurant he complained the menu had pictures so it wasn't as nice as he prefers.

I immediately despised him. He didn't smile, wasn't sweet, had no sense of humor. So different from the guy I talked to for two hours every night. He regretted coming down, that was obvious.

I was stuck hosting him all weekend. We tried to find a "hot club" in Miami that a 19 year old could get into. I hate clubbing, was trying to be something I'm not. This was before smartphones and GPS so we had no luck. We ended up driving around Miami Beach for two hours, barely talking and me playing country music to annoy him. I couldn't help myself, he'd announced "only trailer trash listens to country"

He slept on my parents' couch and insulted my mom's cooking the next night. He yelled at my dog. He told me I should wear jeans that minimize my thighs.

We drove up to Disney with my brother and soon to be SIL. My date got a hotel room for the two of us. I felt trapped because I couldn't afford my own and didn't want to impose on my family.

The douche tried to make me drink a whole case of Coronas ("I bought a case for you and a case for me ... Don't make me waste my money"). I hate alcohol and refused. More importantly, I hated him. He pressured me to sleep with him, reminding me of all the money he paid to come see me, and that he could have chosen to spend the weekend with another girl. I apparently was supposed to feel honored.

I went crying to my brother who promptly kicked the douche out of the wedding. He also threatened to call the police for providing alcohol to a minor (we weren't sure if it would count since I didn't take a sip)

Bro put me up in my own room and the douche took the hotel shuttle to the nearest airport.

Disney was a blast the next day.

Edited by Foxy Knoxy
Typo
  • Like 4
2.50 a gallon

My first thought on the night that I met her, was "There is a face I could kiss good morning to for the rest of my life." Mind you I had been divorced for almost a decade and a half and although I did a lot of dating, I had not had that reaction in years.

My second thought was "Look at them legs". I am totally a leg man. I knew anybody that good looking most likely had a boy friend so I set out to wait him out. Surely he would make a mistake.

That chance finally came about over 2 years later.

Mind you, after the break up of my marriage I had sworn off of love. I had no desire to get into a relationship. I liked living alone, as I could do what I wanted with whom ever I wanted, when ever I wanted. She had great legs and my interest was to give her a try out as one of my FWB's

First date was a total bust. It was on a Sunday night, we took off at 8, as she wanted to try playing pool. An hour later the pool hall decided to close early. We headed for a bar to try their pool table, too many quarters in front of us, so left there. We ended up going window shopping.

At the time I was heavily into the dating scene, but as everything went bad, I slowly reverted into this shy high school boy. I did not even get a good night kiss.

Sad thing was on the way home, I realized how lonely my life was.

After a long talk with myself, I found a way to ask her out again. I know she hesitated, but I told her this time we would leave in time to get up to the river, cook a couple of Smokey links, then enjoy a bottle of wine by the river that next Sunday. She said yes.

When we got to the road to the river we discovered it was closed, too late to take the other route which was a good hour away. She was hungry so we stopped at McDonalds. So I ended up taking her home early. Another busted date, I had two chances and both of them went flat. But this time when leaving I was determined to at least, after waiting all of these years to get a good night kiss.

What a kiss, we have now been together for over 22 years.

Edited by 2.50 a gallon
  • Like 6
FilterCoffee
What a kiss, we have now been together for over 22 years.

You have the best stories 2.50 a gallon! Why that name though?

I went on a date with a guy from Match.com, and, on the first date, I found out that his ex mother-in-law works with my mom. Talk about awkward. He then talked about his divorce settlement during the date. He also took me to this really expensive restaurant, which I thought was too much for a first date. He ordered all kinds of stuff. Drinks, appetizers, a steak. I ordered chicken because I was uncomfortable ordering a 50.00 entree on a first date. So we get to the end of the date, and his credit card gets declined. He found some other card that worked, but it was just so awkward. It always makes for a good story though.

2.50 a gallon

After years of $3 plus gas prices, on the day I signed up for LS, for the first time in years I paid that amount for gas.

• Like 1
2.50 a gallon

enigma

That sort or reminds me of the first time my GF came over to spend the night. I lived in a gated apartment, and the surrounding neighborhood, could be rough I had assured her it was safe enough

Late that night we heard some one yelling "HELP! HELP! They are after me" We were out the door and followed the screams to find the highway patrol was hand cuffing a naked guy. It turns out he was stoned and had been dancing naked in the middle of the freeway a block away.