Feeling like people on dating apps are desperate

Well, get busy for a day and I miss a party. I'm starting a new thread with the same title as a one-day closed thread because I want to chime in with a strongly held opinion.

I'm on dating apps (well OLD anyway) and if someone wants to characterize me as desperate they're welcome to it. I'm on dating apps/OLD because I want to be in a relationship and my social contacts are limited enough that there are few other options to try to find that relationship (exception story follows below).

I'm a senior. I don't drink to socialize. I have no friends my age who are not couples or similarly single MEN and those couples have almost no friends my age who are not couples as well. I could beat this question further to death but the bottom line for me is, rather than seeing OLD as a desperation play, I see it as actively working on a circumstance I want to improve. BTW to counter the often stated claim that opportunities for relationships occur when you are not looking for one, I can count on one finger the number of women who EVER asked ME out and she had the bad timing to do so when I was dating 'the big one who got away'.

The exception to few other options: Speed dating for my age group runs about once every six months where I live. Coincidentally one reason I missed the previous thread was today was the day and that took up some time and attention. I, figuratively speaking, 'swiped right' i.e. marked for future contact on five of the seven women I met. I expect to find out within two days how many of them reciprocated.

So see me as desperate if you wish. IMHO (really NOT humble) life (at least as much of it as I've got left) is too short to sit back and wait for something good to happen.

I didn't read the closed thread. But I wouldn't be surprised if someone posted a similar opinion to mine. I also grant that there are other reasons perhaps related to shyness, lack of confidence, or introverted personality that people might have for turning to dating apps.

• Like 1