Physical Attribute Selectiveness and OLD

Background for context (sorry to bore the 'regulars' who already recognize me): I'm 60-something, male, recently divorced after a 30+ year relationship, surprised but comfortable to be 'back in the game', interested in an LTR rather than a hookup, and believe it or not getting 'advice' from y'all. 'First time around' 40 years ago the way I met women was at work with the singular exception of a very special lady who had been a high school classmate. I'm not a bar person. So 'this time' I was advised here to try OLD and, quite frankly, I am totally satisfied with the ease with which I have been able to meet women (though I have serious complaints posted in another thread about the online mechanics and business practices).

In another recent Physical Attribute Selectiveness thread, several posters have pointed out that with OLD users are hit between the eyes with Physical Attributes. That is the first and most prominent thing the user sees. I'll observe that is not much different from going to a bar where physical appearance is the first thing the person sees. A case can easily be made that appearance is superficial.

But the point of starting another thread is to ask 'what is the alternative'? People say things like meet at the supermarket, library, special interest meetup, or church. The problem I see with that is, unlike OLD, you can't assume that the other people there are looking for relationships. I see more of a tendency in those situations for people to be respectful of each others' space and sensibilities and not 'hit on' anyone. I've actually been doing special interest meetups since my ex-wife filed for divorce years ago (long legal battle delayed the settlement) and never met a woman who was visibly 'looking' (however several 'familiar faces' have turned up on various OLD sites).

So it appears that like many other things in life there is a trade-off. OLD starts you with superficial physical selectiveness. In return, it gives you the expectation (cull out the scammers) that everyone is there looking for 'love' or something similar. Am I missing something? Or do people just have to 'put up with' the superficial stepping off condition?

P.S. Since I'm posting and mystified, what is GIGS?

Edited by nospam99

GIGs. Grass is Greener syndrome.

I would assume everyone around our age is looking for a LTR. Or maybe I'm wrong. Dunno.

Yes, OLD seems superficial to me. I can't be bothered with it. Good on you for persevering! Do you find many older women on there?

• Author
GIGs. Grass is Greener syndrome.

I would assume everyone around our age is looking for a LTR. Or maybe I'm wrong. Dunno.

Yes, OLD seems superficial to me. I can't be bothered with it. Good on you for persevering! Do you find many older women on there?

Thanks for the definition of GIGs. Now that I know it makes perfect sense in context.

Yes, I find many older women there. Off topic so I will send you a PM.