LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > General > General Relationship Discussion

Non-traditional relationships and assoiciated stigma


General Relationship Discussion Everything else under the sun. Not sure where to post? This is the place!

Like Tree482Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th October 2017, 11:19 AM   #31
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 13,840
Journal Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Go View Post
Admitted

It is only scary because I’m afraid to get into the 2 year comatose relationship that I had with my ex (which I did because of social acceptance - hey, I was 30 already).
That's fair. So you're afraid that if you follow the advice, we will encourage you to settle for someone? I feel like I'm speaking for many here when I say that's really not our intention.

In a world where more adults than ever before are single, it's easy to ignore social acceptance. It's sad that you put that pressure on yourself in the past. At the same time you tried it and now have a better idea of what you want. And you now know you don't have to put that pressure on yourself.

Like I and others have said in your other thread, there is a third option that isn't unrequited love and that isn't settling for someone. That third option: meeting a guy for whom you feel excited who also feels it for you. Do you believe that's possible for you?
__________________
To handle yourself, use your head, To handle others, use your heart.

Last edited by Kamille; 25th October 2017 at 11:25 AM..
Kamille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2017, 11:33 AM   #32
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,883
Yeah... sort of that’s the fear. Plus the fear of going on many dates (it’s not a fear of doing it, more so a repulsion from the idea... I find meeting multiple men gross quite frankly ... even if it is just to drink a cup of coffee together)

I’m not so sure I’ll be able to get into the third option you described because to some extent my attraction depends on the man’s unavailability... That’s sad to some extent because I met good guys over the years but the puppy adoration I’ve sensed in them for me killed it faster than anything. My ideal man will refrain from ILYs , gifts, soppy stuff, lovey-dovey expressions, pet names etc. And will be thoughtful and kind in the same time (equally to me and any of his enemies). That’s a very rare mindset to find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamille View Post
That's fair. So you're afraid that if you follow the advice, we will encourage you to settle for someone? I feel like I'm speaking for many here when I say that's really not our intention.

In a world where more adults than ever before are single, it's easy to ignore social acceptance. It's sad that you put that pressure on yourself in the past. At the same time you tried it and now have a better idea of what you want. And you now know you don't have to put that pressure on yourself.

Like I and others have said in your other thread, there is a third option that isn't unrequited love and that isn't settling for someone. That third option: meeting a guy for whom you feel excited who also feels it for you. Do you believe that's possible for you?
No_Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2017, 11:56 AM   #33
Established Member
 
Gaeta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 14,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Go View Post
Yeah... sort of thatís the fear. Plus the fear of going on many dates (itís not a fear of doing it, more so a repulsion from the idea... I find meeting multiple men gross quite frankly ... even if it is just to drink a cup of coffee together)
Many things in life are gross but we still need to do it to obtain the wanted result. It's a matter of motivation. I didn't want to go on 200 dates but I was highly motivated to obtain that special man for that special relationship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Go View Post
Thatís sad to some extent because I met good guys over the years but the puppy adoration Iíve sensed in them for me killed it faster than anything. My ideal man will refrain from ILYs , gifts, soppy stuff, lovey-dovey expressions, pet names etc. And will be thoughtful and kind in the same time (equally to me and any of his enemies). Thatís a very rare mindset to find.
Oh dear! You've just described my ex-husband, no worries those kinds of men are all over!
__________________
'' The Biggest Coward Is A Man Who Awakens A Woman's Love With No Intention Of Loving Her '' - Bob Marley
Gaeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2017, 12:05 PM   #34
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaeta View Post
Many things in life are gross but we still need to do it to obtain the wanted result. It's a matter of motivation. I didn't want to go on 200 dates but I was highly motivated to obtain that special man for that special relationship.



Oh dear! You've just described my ex-husband, no worries those kinds of men are all over!
At least for me the cost outmeasures the benefit... But Iím getting better in prescreening, so there are ways.

Nah, your ex-husband was lacking on the kind & thoughtful part big time as the men that are all around. The men that are good AND not mushy whatsoever are hard to find... Only someone very aware with his inner self and remote from societal expectations fits this bill.
No_Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2017, 12:09 PM   #35
Established Member
 
NuevoYorko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Go View Post
The following statement that I made provoked the rage:
No, that is bs. First, what's going on in the head of an Internet stranger is not likely to provoke rage in anyone.

I don't see your situation as a non traditional relationship. I see it as typical infatuation. There really is not a "social stigma" associated with a big crush, no matter how much you would like to think there is. Most of us have experienced it. Plenty of people have gone ahead and desperately pursued it just like you are and shared their experiences on your thread.

What is mildly annoying is your determination to spin the experiences and opinions of everyone who challenges you into something that elevates your situation, and dismisses all of ours.

I am getting from you the sense of a young person who has been mired in social conventions up until now and suddenly realizes that there are other choices. It's an exciting awakening.

What you don't seem to get (or don't want to) is that many of us here have already been through that awakening, maybe even raised outside of social norms. Speaking for myself, I have lived a "counter cultural" life to quite an extreme, for decades. Others have made a CONSCIOUS choice to commit to a traditional relationship and are not doing so because, as you seem to think, they are unable to see outside of society's bounds.

You clearly are not interested in any of this, but you are getting it because - you posted on an advice board. Specifically, you posted for advice on a budding romantic relationship.

On THIS thread - if you are actually interested in exploring "non traditional relationships," why not step back from your preconceived ideas and hear about the experiences of others. You may even hear from some people who have actually had to endure negative social stigma around their non traditional relationship. You'll never know unless you start listening.
NuevoYorko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2017, 12:14 PM   #36
Established Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,254
What is the point of having a partner if they essentially treat you like just a friend? Your comment about how you wanted someone who treated his enemies as kindly as you seems to suggest you want someone who won't prioritize you in any way. No wonder your last boyfriends were such jerks; it sounds like you don't want anyone who will value you.
lana-banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2017, 12:17 PM   #37
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,883
Youíd think it will not but people get butt hurt if it touches something related to their lives. It is quite hilarious indeed.

Iíve shared Iím middle aged and have travelled around and round so it is weird to me what Iíve shared to be perceived as Ďyoung personís awakeningí. Iíve also shared I stayed in my comatose relationship for so long... by conscious choice.

***
Ok - letís hear your experiences! Iím very curious to learn about any nonlinear experience of an user here or elsewhere. There is a reason (breaking their safe bubble image) that people have that stops them from sharing but if you dare - Iíll be VERY curious to read about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuevoYorko View Post
No, that is bs. First, what's going on in the head of an Internet stranger is not likely to provoke rage in anyone.

I don't see your situation as a non traditional relationship. I see it as typical infatuation. There really is not a "social stigma" associated with a big crush, no matter how much you would like to think there is. Most of us have experienced it. Plenty of people have gone ahead and desperately pursued it just like you are and shared their experiences on your thread.

What is mildly annoying is your determination to spin the experiences and opinions of everyone who challenges you into something that elevates your situation, and dismisses all of ours.

I am getting from you the sense of a young person who has been mired in social conventions up until now and suddenly realizes that there are other choices. It's an exciting awakening.

What you don't seem to get (or don't want to) is that many of us here have already been through that awakening, maybe even raised outside of social norms. Speaking for myself, I have lived a "counter cultural" life to quite an extreme, for decades. Others have made a CONSCIOUS choice to commit to a traditional relationship and are not doing so because, as you seem to think, they are unable to see outside of society's bounds.

You clearly are not interested in any of this, but you are getting it because - you posted on an advice board. Specifically, you posted for advice on a budding romantic relationship.

On THIS thread - if you are actually interested in exploring "non traditional relationships," why not step back from your preconceived ideas and hear about the experiences of others. You may even hear from some people who have actually had to endure negative social stigma around their non traditional relationship. You'll never know unless you start listening.
No_Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2017, 12:18 PM   #38
Established Member
 
Elswyth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 24,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Go View Post
I’m not so sure I’ll be able to get into the third option you described because to some extent my attraction depends on the man’s unavailability... That’s sad to some extent because I met good guys over the years but the puppy adoration I’ve sensed in them for me killed it faster than anything. My ideal man will refrain from ILYs , gifts, soppy stuff, lovey-dovey expressions, pet names etc. And will be thoughtful and kind in the same time (equally to me and any of his enemies). That’s a very rare mindset to find.
I don't personally understand the aversion to romance, but that's your prerogative.

The thing though, is that even an aversion to romance doesn't fully explain the bolded. Lots of traditional couples (usually older couples) where I grew up don't do ILYs, pet names, etc. Heck the SO and I don't even do pet names (though we do the other forms of romance you mentioned)! But that didn't mean that the man was unavailable. He was still available and committed to his partner, he just showed it in other ways.

If you can truly only be attracted to men who are unavailable (as opposed to just men who don't do pet names etc), I think you really need to reexamine that and see if there is a way you can change your attraction patterns, especially if you want a family as you say you will. Freezing your eggs can help but not forever, especially if you maintain this attraction pattern into your 40s.
__________________
~Perfection is about accepting that we cannot control everything and letting go of some of our preconceived notions.~ -Spiritofnow-
Elswyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2017, 12:21 PM   #39
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by lana-banana View Post
What is the point of having a partner if they essentially treat you like just a friend? Your comment about how you wanted someone who treated his enemies as kindly as you seems to suggest you want someone who won't prioritize you in any way. No wonder your last boyfriends were such jerks; it sounds like you don't want anyone who will value you.
You got it right here! I want someone who *does not prioritize me in any way*. I had endless amount of fights with my ex on this topic. I want someone who values me for me, NOT because heís in a relationship with me. And I want someone who have strong enough principles to treat people the same way regardless of his feelings, positive or negative, towards them.

God, Iím just getting flashbacks about the endless arguments I had with my ex about this....
No_Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2017, 12:24 PM   #40
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 13,840
Journal Entries: 1
How do you know when someone values you for you? Is the expectation that you'll meet someone who values everyone equally all the time? Is that how you operate?

I'm struggling to understand what you mean, so genuinely asking.
Kamille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2017, 12:26 PM   #41
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elswyth View Post
I don't personally understand the aversion to romance, but that's your prerogative.

The thing though, is that even an aversion to romance doesn't fully explain the bolded. Lots of traditional couples (usually older couples) where I grew up don't do ILYs, pet names, etc. Heck the SO and I don't even do pet names (though we do the other forms of romance you mentioned)! But that didn't mean that the man was unavailable. He was still available and committed to his partner, he just showed it in other ways.

If you can truly only be attracted to men who are unavailable (as opposed to just men who don't do pet names etc), I think you really need to reexamine that and see if there is a way you can change your attraction patterns, especially if you want a family as you say you will. Freezing your eggs can help but not forever, especially if you maintain this attraction pattern into your 40s.
Yes youíre right - the two are not related.

Romance repulses me because it is a matter of achieving something - even if the Ďsomethingí is conveying the attraction or reassuring the mate. It just makes me feel dumb and dependent - to need reassurance.

Oh Iíll not procreate with frozen eggs in my 40s. If I reach 40 without using them - my choice will be an adoption of a child that is 2-5 years old. I do NOT think itís fair to the child to have 40+ years of age difference with the parent, biological or adoptive.
No_Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2017, 12:28 PM   #42
Established Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Go View Post
You got it right here! I want someone who *does not prioritize me in any way*. I had endless amount of fights with my ex on this topic. I want someone who values me for me, NOT because heís in a relationship with me. And I want someone who have strong enough principles to treat people the same way regardless of his feelings, positive or negative, towards them.

God, Iím just getting flashbacks about the endless arguments I had with my ex about this....
It's not about principles, it's about partnership. When someone is your partner you go to special lengths for them because they're your partner---you are working together to help each other out. You have common goals and shared interests. If you don't share goals and interests and work together to achieve them there is no reason to be a couple.

Principles have nothing to do with this. I believe in treating everyone I know with kindness and compassion, but I will still put my parents, siblings and husband first. That's what families do.
Kamille likes this.
lana-banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2017, 12:29 PM   #43
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamille View Post
How do you know when someone values you for you? Is the expectation that you'll meet someone who values everyone equally all the time? Is that how you operate?

I'm struggling to understand what you mean, so genuinely asking.
Mainly on intuitive level. And on superficial level - by showing interest in things I value.

Valuing everyone equally is not what I meant - I meant treating everyone equally (ie actions do not reflect preferences /value level)
No_Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2017, 12:36 PM   #44
Established Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Go View Post
Romance repulses me because it is a matter of achieving something - even if the Ďsomethingí is conveying the attraction or reassuring the mate. It just makes me feel dumb and dependent - to need reassurance.
You needed and craved that reassurance this summer; if he went more than 3-4 hours without texting, you had a meltdown and assumed he was done with you. But you didn't mind feeling dumb and dependent then?

(I speak as someone who once assumed a guy was ignoring me when he didn't text for a while, and I was shoveling a huge scoop of self-pity ice cream into my mouth when he called asking if I was free for dinner.)
BluEyeL, No_Go and JuneL like this.
lana-banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2017, 12:38 PM   #45
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by lana-banana View Post
It's not about principles, it's about partnership. When someone is your partner you go to special lengths for them because they're your partner---you are working together to help each other out. You have common goals and shared interests. If you don't share goals and interests and work together to achieve them there is no reason to be a couple.

Principles have nothing to do with this. I believe in treating everyone I know with kindness and compassion, but I will still put my parents, siblings and husband first. That's what families do.
Nothing wrong with your way of thinking, my ex and his friends were on the same wavelength. So as my sister etc.

I just happen to have another viewpoint on that. I donít need a partner or family to help me - heck I can help myself. I need them for inspiration and expansion of goals.

For help: say I need to donate my kidney to a relative, partner or stranger. Who will I choose? The one in most urgent need. Thatís sort of the ideal manís mindset that Iím looking for.
No_Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

 

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Not satisfied with traditional relationships- ? SmartDude Dating 10 3rd September 2017 2:09 PM
Traditional Monogamous Relationships? AwptiK General Relationship Discussion 3 23rd December 2011 10:05 AM
Traditional Parents, Non-traditional Relationship MsBlink Getting Married 7 19th December 2005 8:31 AM

 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 3:39 PM.

Please note: The suggestions and advice offered on this web site are opinions only and are not to be used in the place of professional psychological counseling or medical advice. If you or someone close to you is currently in crisis or in an emergency situation, contact your local law enforcement agency or emergency number.


Copyright © 1997-2013 LoveShack.org. All Rights Reserved.