Was this flirting?

Shining One

I don't think it is, but my girlfriend and her sister disagree.

I've been hitting the gym for the last few months. My girlfriend and her sister started a few weeks ago, but they were going to a different gym. Earlier this week, they decided to join me. The three of us were on the ellipticals side by side. Another gym regular, who I'm acquainted with, came in. She waved hello, came over, and gave me a kiss on the cheek. I introduced her to my girlfriend and her sister. She then proceed to get on the treadmill in front of me. She did her stretching exercises (which included some bending over) and then started running.

My girlfriend thinks she was flirting with me. I think she was just being friendly and then working out.

As a general rule: If other women think that a woman is flirting with you, chances are very high that she is. Unless that woman at the gym is from Latin America or a similar background, a kiss on the cheek is not exactly customary.

• Like 1

I don't think so. I do think some women thinks everything is flirting. Walking in the same direction as they are? You just hit on her. She'll run to her friend and be like "OMG, he just hit on me".

I run on treadmills at the gym regularly. Some treadmills feel better than others for running (balanced better, more level, tight track, solid feel). If I just walked or jog (I never jog), it doesn't matter. But running, it matters. I have my favorite treadmills and I always get on those if they're open. If someone is on the one next to it, I still get on my favorites first. Occasionally it's some chick and seemingly some of them take it as me getting on it because of them.

When women think "kinda, sorta looked at him" as flirting (taken from an actual post here a girl posted about flirting with guys at the gym), everything is flirting.

As a general rule: If other women think that a woman is flirting with you, chances are very high that she is. Unless that woman at the gym is from Latin America or a similar background, a kiss on the cheek is not exactly customary.

Total myth.

I never got a kiss on the cheek by another gym regular. Maybe I'm going to the wrong gym. :D

• Like 1
I never got a kiss on the cheek by another gym regular. Maybe I'm going to the wrong gym. :D

Go to Europe, have friends.

• Like 1
hippychick3

If you're American, this is not a customary way to meet an acquaintance at the gym. I can't image going up to ANY GUY at the gym to kiss him on the cheek even if he was a close friend. I especially wouldn't do that if he was with his girlfriend whom I have never met before.

I agree with your gf and her sister.

• Like 2
RecentChange

A cheek kiss is not standard practice amoung aquantiances in the US.

Yes I have friends, and yes I have lived in Europe. It's different there.

I am a touchy, expressive person, I don't cheek kiss, and can hardly recall the last time someone gave me one.

The woman clearly likes you. The only way to know if she's flirting is to watch her greet other men. Does she kiss them too?

That said, this might be the extent of her interest. I know a couple women like that, they put men on some kind of sliding scale, and they'll greet some men politely, kiss some men on the cheek that they feel closer to, maybe have that one guy that they chastely kiss on the lips and they date other men, who they greet with more loving kisses on the lips, and have consistent and more recognizable displays of affection.

Sounds like you might be in the "special" friendzone.

• Like 1
  • Author
Shining One
Unless that woman at the gym is from Latin America or a similar background, a kiss on the cheek is not exactly customary.
If you're American, this is not a customary way to meet an acquaintance at the gym. I can't image going up to ANY GUY at the gym to kiss him on the cheek even if he was a close friend. I especially wouldn't do that if he was with his girlfriend whom I have never met before.
She's Brazilian. I live in South Florida and there's a large Latin American population here. Kissing on the cheek is very common.
  • Like 1
She's Brazilian. I live in South Florida and there's a large Latin American population here. Kissing on the cheek is very common.

Yes indeed, that is common for Brazilians. (My Cuban gf was also a kisser.) Then I really don't have a lot to go by whether it was flirting or not.

• Like 1
BluesPower

Hard to say...

A lot of my friends that are girls do kiss me on the cheek. I am ok with it, it does freak GF out a little but she is ok.

I have not slept with any of those girls so I am OK with it too.

Hard to say...

A lot of my friends that are girls do kiss me on the cheek. I am ok with it, it does freak GF out a little but she is ok.

I have not slept with any of those girls so I am OK with it too.

If only I could sleep with all the women that kiss me on the cheek.... ah, to be young again! :laugh:
Mrs. John Adams

Realistically... the only opinion here that matters is your girlfriends. If she thinks the other girl was flirting.. nothing you can say will change her mind. She feels the other girl crossed a line.. she is telling you where her line is and if you love and respect her you won't allow someone to cross that boundary.

I am personally a bit bothered by the kiss on the cheek... that's a little too familiar in my book...but that's my boundary.

• Like 2
hippychick3

Yes, that is true. I lived in a Latin country for several years, and it was definitely the norm there. She may not have been flirting with you. But if your gf is uncomfortable with that level of familiarity, it's best to respect her feelings.

• Author
Shining One

A lot of people seem to be dwelling on the cheek kiss. As I mentioned earlier, this is very common here and it happens to my girlfriend too. When we go to parties and work events, this is part of the standard greeting and farewell.

My girlfriend contends that it's the combination of this woman's actions that constitutes flirting: The cheek kiss + The stretching exercises / Bending over + Choosing the treadmill right in front of me

Mrs. John Adams
A lot of people seem to be dwelling on the cheek kiss. As I mentioned earlier, this is very common here and it happens to my girlfriend too. When we go to parties and work events, this is part of the standard greeting and farewell.

My girlfriend contends that it's the combination of this woman's actions that constitutes flirting: The cheek kiss + The stretching exercises / Bending over + Choosing the treadmill right in front of me

no...I am not dwelling on the kiss...I am dwelling on your girlfriends feelings. She thought it was flirting..it doesn't matter what you think or what i think.

This is your girlfriend...it bothered her...she did not like it....therefore....she is telling you this is over my line.

It doesn't matter if it is a custom....or not. It is over her line. If you want to keep her as your girlfriend....the next time this chickie tries to kiss your cheek or do her stretches in front of you...stop the kiss....and move to a different treadmill.

• Author
Shining One
This is your girlfriend...it bothered her...she did not like it....therefore....she is telling you this is over my line.
This is quite an assumption on your part. She didn't seem bothered by the exchange. She was pointing it out to me as if I'm missing something obvious. When something bothers her or crosses one of her lines, she doesn't hesitate to let me know. This was not the case here.
Mrs. John Adams
This is quite an assumption on your part. She didn't seem bothered by the exchange. She was pointing it out to me as if I'm missing something obvious. When something bothers her or crosses one of her lines, she doesn't hesitate to let me know. This was not the case here.

I am assuming nothing...I am reading what you are sharing and you just repeated it yet again. She was pointing out to you ...just in case you missed it....that this girl was flirting with you....because she does not hestitate to let you know.... and yet you say...this was not the case here. Did she point it out or you or not?

you asked is this flirting? You have received several opinions....which mean nothing...because she has already told you it was flirting.

Good luck

• Author
Shining One
I am assuming nothing...I am reading what you are sharing and you just repeated it yet again. She was pointing out to you ...just in case you missed it....that this girl was flirting with you....because she does not hestitate to let you know.... and yet you say...this was not the case here. Did she point it out or you or not?
What I'm saying is that there is a difference between these two statements:

"Hey, you know that girl was flirting with you, right?"

and

"Hey, that girl was flirting with you and it bothers me."

This was a case of the former, not the latter.