was she real? very strange situation

Received a warm greeting via text from an unknown phone number today. She called me by name but used a name that isn't mine(?). Looked up the number and it's an area code from across the country. Never gave her my real name.

I figure what the hell, and roll with it. After some very convincing smalltalk about kickboxing and how she just moved from the east coast, she wants a fwb thing and a picture of me and such. Also sends some pics of herself (clothed).

I ask where she got this number, she says I sent it to her on POF. I actually did send some stranger my number weeks ago for some reason.

This whole time she has been very very very convincing. Well thought-out conversation, relating to my interests, not pushy, totally explaining herself and her story. But I am skeptical.

Then she wants to meet up tonight and drive an hour to come to my place. Very upfront about hooking up, no mention of payment. I give her the address of a local business so I can assess the situation before she finds out where I live, and arrange to have a friend tail me in case the situation turns dangerous. Very skeptical still.

Then she casually mentions that she is 17. That was the end of that, of course.

Does it sound at all possible that this was really a 17 year old just wanting to hookup? I've dealt with trolls and cam girls and scammers before but this seemed so real I honestly have no idea. It could have been a sting by law enforcement or a setup for a robbery for all I know.

WaitingForBardot

Healthy skepticism tells you to ask "Is this how the world really works?". In this case, the answer is almost certainly NO!

The Internet, where men are men, women are men, and even that cute, underaged girl next door is a man; a big, fat, smelly, hairy, man!

Just sayin'...

somanymistakes

Unlikely to be real, but who knows what it really was. Online scams get pretty sophisticated these days.

Not to sound mean but if you are an adult , there is no doubt in understanding here , that you are being scammed.

She's probably the police. They are always looking for guys who are trying to hook up with underaged girls. Don't go do this at all. She's too young. Even if it's legal there I wouldn't do it. Sounds fishy. It's either police or prostitute.

And definitely put in writing your last text to her. Sorry, no, you are too young!! Just in case it's police.

• Author

I was very clear that i would not see her if she was under 18. Never said anything incriminating.

One thing that makes me think its not the police is the number being from the east coast and the story explaining that. Just seems totally unnecessary if this was a sting.

If this was a scam it's far more sophisticated than i've seen before.

I was very clear that i would not see her if she was under 18. Never said anything incriminating.

One thing that makes me think its not the police is the number being from the east coast and the story explaining that. Just seems totally unnecessary if this was a sting.

If this was a scam it's far more sophisticated than i've seen before.

Scammers ARE getting more sophisticated, no doubt there.

vanhalenfan

This happened to a friend of a friend of mine and it was the police! He fell for it and went for the "16 year old". He got busted. It was nearly the same scenario that you described. I bet you anything it's a set up. Why they targeted you, I have no idea, but do NOT meet "her". (It sounds like you made the right decision already!)

• Author

Wow, I had no idea stuff like this was relatively common. I guess it's a good thing the authorities are taking this seriously. Glad I bailed out. Would never do something like that anyway though.

Live and learn I guess.