Are men more attracted to younger women?

As men age, are they more attracted to younger women or women their own age? I honestly want to know how men feel about this or what they have experienced. I want women's opinions too. I have always found older men attractive, but, as I age, I'm becoming aware that I will one day catch up to the guys I've viewed as older men. Will they find me attractive at that point? I'm 36, and I don't generally find men in their 20s attractive. I'm usually attracted to men in their 40s or even early 50s.

For example, do men in their 50s find women in their 50s attractive? Or would they rather have a younger woman? Do men want to have sex with women as they age? Because, let's face it, the body changes over time. I'm not looking for politically correct answers or a discussion on sexism; I'm just looking for some honest discussion on the topic. I don't think it's sexist for a man to be more attracted to a younger woman, and I don't want the topic to devolve into that please.

My honest answer is that I'm definitely attracted to younger women, between 20-25. And curiously have mostly dated 30 more women. Even a few over 40 and one closer to 50, 20 years my senior.

I'm physically more attracted to younger ladies and smoother skin, but the older ones have a hold on my mind. The one my age have more mutual interest with me and I know I'll probably end up with one someday.

Doesn't mean that those over 40 are not beautiful. If Nicole Kidman could be teleported into my place I'd make her a proposition right next.

Men are complicated too, and you'll get many different response here, for the better.

Hubby isn't attracted to significantly younger women. He doesn't understand guys who are attracted to women half their age because there is not much similarity in life.

• Like 2
  • Author
My honest answer is that I'm definitely attracted to younger women, between 20-25. And curiously have mostly dated 30 more women. Even a few over 40 and one closer to 50, 20 years my senior.

I'm physically more attracted to younger ladies and smoother skin, but the older ones have a hold on my mind. The one my age have more mutual interest with me and I know I'll probably end up with one someday.

Doesn't mean that those over 40 are not beautiful. If Nicole Kidman could be teleported into my place I'd make her a proposition right next.

Men are complicated too, and you'll get many different response here, for the better.

So you're about 30? If so, it makes sense you would be attracted to women in their 20s. I think one of the reasons I'm attracted to older men is the fact that they are usually more financially secure and established. That is very attractive to me. It's not that I want to date someone rich, but I find anyone who is irresponsible with money unattractive. A few years ago, I went on a date with a guy that was in his 40s and handsome in my view. But he was not financially sound. He bounced from job to job and had no real career. In fact, I found out that his wife had left him for that reason. Super nice guy, but I was so turned off by what I viewed as irresponsible behavior.

I think physical attraction plays a large part in it. I mean, let's just be honest. A 30 year old body isn't the same as a 50 year old body. On men or women to be quite frank. For me, I love an older guy who is put together. I don't have a hard time finding a 50 year old man's body attractive if he has kept himself up and is active. I'm just wondering if it's the same for men. Do men automatically find a 50 year old women unattractive even if she is put together, active, and not overweight?

Edited by BC1980
  • Like 2
As men age, are they more attracted to younger women or women their own age? I honestly want to know how men feel about this or what they have experienced. I want women's opinions too. I have always found older men attractive, but, as I age, I'm becoming aware that I will one day catch up to the guys I've viewed as older men. Will they find me attractive at that point? I'm 36, and I don't generally find men in their 20s attractive. I'm usually attracted to men in their 40s or even early 50s.

For example, do men in their 50s find women in their 50s attractive? Or would they rather have a younger woman? Do men want to have sex with women as they age? Because, let's face it, the body changes over time. I'm not looking for politically correct answers or a discussion on sexism; I'm just looking for some honest discussion on the topic. I don't think it's sexist for a man to be more attracted to a younger woman, and I don't want the topic to devolve into that please.

Most would go as young as they could get if it was up to them. Best hope for the middle aged woman is to be feminine and lively in the extreme. Guys of all ages like that.

• Like 2
  • Author
Hubby isn't attracted to significantly younger women. He doesn't understand guys who are attracted to women half their age because there is not much similarity in life.

Thanks for the input. I feel that way about younger men. I would have little in common with them. I can't imagine dating someone in their 20s. I can't even find a man in his 20s physically attractive most of the time, but, when I was in my 20s, I liked 20 year old men. I wonder if our tastes naturally change as we get older?

• Like 1
  • Author
Most would go as young as they could get if it was up to them. Best hope for the middle aged woman is to be feminine and lively in the extreme. Guys of all ages like that.

Are you a guy?

So you're about 30? If so, it makes sense you would be attracted to women in their 20s. I think one of the reasons I'm attracted to older men is the fact that they are usually more financially secure and established. That is very attractive to me. It's not that I want to date someone rich, but I find anyone who is irresponsible with money unattractive. A few years ago, I went on a date with a guy that was in his 40s and handsome in my view. But he was not financially sound. He bounced from job to job and had no real career. In fact, I found out that his wife had left him for that reason. Super nice guy, but I was so turned off by what I viewed as irresponsible behavior.

I think physical attraction plays a large part in it. I mean, let's just be honest. A 30 year old body isn't the same as a 50 year old body. On men or women to be quite frank. For me, I love an older guy who is put together. I don't have a hard time finding a 50 year old man's body attractive if he has kept himself up and is active. I'm just wondering if it's the same for men. Do men automatically find a 50 year old women unattractive even if she is put together, active, and not overweight?

33 in March. My longest relationship was with a woman 8 years older and she rocked. She was then your age so mid 30s. I think women in general are at their best around that age. Still very attractive, educated, funny, not yet bitter. I'm currently seeing a 40 yo lady, but I'm not head over heels.

From a purely biological standpoint I think it would make sense that men would be attracted to women who are in their reproductive prime - which would be early to mid 20's.

From the same biological standpoint I can see how a woman would be attracted to more mature and "established" man.

Personally, I have always looked a bit young for my age, and I tend to be attracted to younger guys. When I was 37 I found myself involved with a 28 year old. I never really noticed the age difference. 21 or 22? Sure, I guess I would put them in "youngster" catagory. But late 20's? I have many friends and acquaintances in that age range and we have much in common.

But what sort of lifestyle you lead I am sure also plays a role. I am childlessness by choice. I enjoy the night life, concerts, road trips etc. That whole work hard, play harder thing.- I couldn't imagine a guy 10+ years my senior keeping up.

• Like 1

I know a couple of guys at work (45ish, divorced) who are constantly after 25-year-olds. Sometimes they get lucky, most of the time they don't. I must be strange because I love the looks of a 40+, curvy mom with real boobs, a few experience lines on her face, who is constantly pushing the hair out of her face. But back to your original question, I do believe guys tend to like younger (at least the computer nerds I work with).

Attracted maybe. I think most men are attracted to a youthful appearance, regardless of age. Most men want to form a lasting relationship with someone with similar values, regardless of age. Add those together, and...I can hear the wedding bells from here...

Cookiesandough

I think in general, physically, yes they are. It would make sense from a purely biological/sexual perspective, but a lot more is required (for most people) for long-term pair bonding.

I'm in my mid 20s and I'm very, very rarely attracted to over 30 (or specifically look the stereotypical out-of-your-20s iykwim) and I'm not physically attracted to middle aged guys or older. It gives me creepy dad vibes or something . It sucks because ideally I'd want to be the same age or younger than my guy and because older men are more attracted to me I know:( I'm still most physically attracted to guys who look 20-mid 20, good looking, firm body Lol.It has been since sexual maturity. "My type" has never changed as I aged. I'm getting a little worried and hope this changes lest I become a cougar. Part of me wishes I found the right guy in college and settled down with him, but I didn't look hard not enough at that time. Didn't find anyone nice

But like I said, who is physically "hottest" is one thing, who you ultimately choose to share and combine lives with is another

Edited by Cookiesandough

I think people are all over the map on this. I personally can be attracted to men of almost any age as long as theyre grown ups. But at 47 i cant seem to stay away from the young ones. I try to keep my eye out for guys my age or older bc I am lokking for something more long term. But right now Im dating two guys who're 26 and 34. There was a time that I wouldnt consider a real relationship w someone in their mid-30s but for some reason I tend to have nice things w guys that age, so im softening up.

• Like 2

I am going to go out on a limb and say that most men are attracted to younger women. However, I personally am not attracted to younger women. I'm 34. My Fiance is 31, but I definitely would not mind if she was a tad older ;)

Edited by S_A
  • Like 1

Of course, no surprise, theres a strong bell curve at work here.

As women progress our of their tweens they ramp up the steep early slope of the curve and suddenly, quickly, become sexually (and generally) attractive to men. This continues up to the peak at probably early to mid twenties and then glides off very slowly but measurably until the other side of the bell, the cliff, at probably early 30's, then a more gradual decline.

Men unsurprisingly, have a bell curve as well, though its not as sharp, starts later and is 'flatter' throughout his adult maturity until 50 or so.

Have a look at this:

https://stagetwo.wordpress.com/2010/04/04/sexual-attractiveness-as-a-function-of-age/

I haven't read the blog, so hope theres nothing awkward in there :) But the presented graphs look about right from a casual glance.

On to your specific question though. I don't think men chase progressively younger women as they age. I think men _always_ chase women of a particular age group throughout their lives, and as my preamble suggests, theres no surprise really as to what that age group is. Of course social norms come into play as well, so, traditionally, men will look more seriously at women of the same as age themselves or preferably a few years younger. But I don't think there is a strong reason for this outside of social conditioning.

We do see a phenomena of seemingly wildly mismatched age couplings at the periphery of the data, but there is almost universally an external force at work - external to the couples romantic feelings for each other (for example). Money ... to use the cliche reason. Works in both directions, both rich men _and_ women can be found with significantly younger partners.

Of course, I'm talking about broad population stats - almost meaningless on an individual level.

My own experience has been that at almost 50 I'm not attracted to very young females in a more serious way than the visual. Theres no denying that men and women both, in their early twenties are, generally, beautiful - its meant to be that way.

But ... Having had a broad sexual experience I can say that outside of the purely visual, for a man my age, women in their late twenties (28-29) through to my age and above are much more suitable as both sexual partners and emotional/friendship partners. In my middle forties I had an ongoing sexual relationship with a woman in her early 50's which was very good, and she looked (and still looks) fantastic.

I think that the answer to your question probably lies in most mens basic characteristic. We're highly visual.

If we take child bearing out of the equation for a moment, a woman who is 50, but looks say 30, would be a real 'catch' at every level for a man 30+. Mature outlook, life experience, conversation skill, probability of knowing ones self, sexual experience and maturity and a tight healthy physique ... its the dream right?

Its my belief that women are not so different. What woman, at 50, wants to be with a man 50-70 who is struggling health wise, has let himself go for decades, etc, etc? Not many I'd suggest.

It's important to understand something here: men and women view each other very differently. Men fall in love with their eyes. Women fall in love with their ears. So the short answer to your question is yes, men usually prefer younger women. Not only this but for most men, the last age bracket in which they're interested in is the mid thirties. And is stays to about that age or younger if the man is single as he gets older. Of course, if a man has been involved for 20 years with the same women, things are different regardless of the woman's age. As a man in his forties, I regularly get looks and smiles from women half my age. Since men are basically security objects, women will often find older men attractive, but the opposite is very rare. A 23 year old female friend of mine recently tole me "I want a man, not a boy", relating to her attraction to men who are 10-15 years older than her. And this is something we see frequently in society and through out cultures as well. As a final note, just like women look for masculine traits, let me say that men crave femininity.... We're starving for a soft voice and soft features; this is the essence of our attraction to women. If a women in her 40s and 50s remains feminine, then we will appreciate this and find it very attractive.

Edited by Stefano13
  • Like 1

This is obviously anecdotal, but i have talked to quite a few single women near my age (Im 47) and every one of them talks about how theyre being chased around much younger men. It is weird to me that the men on this thread seem to mostly take it for granted that women begin to lose their attractiveness in their mid-20's. I think there are many men from all age groups who're attracted to women that age. But theres also a significant number of men who're more interested in women in their 40's. And when I ask the younger men that I date why like women my age they all say the same thing -- the sex is better. Sadly that cant really be said of men my age and older. It seems to me that men really peak as sex partners in their early 30's. They might be at their physical peak earlier, but by early 30's theyre better partners.

• Like 1

I think we all think that youth is attractive, younger women are probably physically more attractive than older women (likewise with older men and younger men) but when it comes to relationship material I think most men (and women) look for someone who is in a similar stage in life. What is attractive physically doesn't need to match what is emotionally attractive.

Some men are, I am not.

I'm 52 and I try to cut my age range off at 45 and prefer older.

I have younger women hit on me all the time and it makes me feel like a pedophile. I had as 21 YO hit on me and I gave her a hug and a kiss on forehead and sent her on her way as nicely a possible.

Most really young girls don't know that much about sex, not that they don't know anything but the finer details sometimes escape them.

Then there is the drama when they think they are in love, OMG forget about it. Frankly I don't need the ego boost, I know who I am and I know what I like.

I like to talk with women that have a frame of reference that requires a littlie time to develop.

So I stick to women that are my age for the most part...

• Like 2

Physical attraction is very limited.

An older woman with grace,class ,an average body and a good head on her shoulders takes over a woman with trashy taste , both being the same age.

A much younger woman is just like being with a 50 plus man child.

• Like 1
This is obviously anecdotal, but i have talked to quite a few single women near my age (Im 47) and every one of them talks about how theyre being chased around much younger men. It is weird to me that the men on this thread seem to mostly take it for granted that women begin to lose their attractiveness in their mid-20's. I think there are many men from all age groups who're attracted to women that age. But theres also a significant number of men who're more interested in women in their 40's. And when I ask the younger men that I date why like women my age they all say the same thing -- the sex is better. Sadly that cant really be said of men my age and older. It seems to me that men really peak as sex partners in their early 30's. They might be at their physical peak earlier, but by early 30's theyre better partners.

I think the above is pretty true - its been my experience also, as man, both observationally and experientially. In my very early twenties I had a girlfriend who was 33. Seems like nothing to me now, but she was very much the "older woman" at the time. Yes, the sex was better, and not marginally so.

But outside of the sexual realm, I'm not sure how far these experiences go. One doesn't see a lot of LTRs between older ladies and younger guys, or at least, not many that progress to marriage or equivalent.

thefooloftheyear

For some, yes...

But we are living in a time now where women are aging better and younger women look as physically bad as I ever remember...Sloppy...Overweight, unkept...I was at the beach some time ago and couldnt really believe it...I guess we are now seeing the results of all of this inactivity brought on by technology..The typical 40/50 plus woman that really takes care of herself is a true prize...They look amazing..

Not that the younger guys are any better...They have the opposite problem...Either they are soft and cushy or rope thin....Neither type has any muscle mass..I look at some of these guys in amazement that any of them get laid..

So if you are an older guy that's successful and in good shape, you have tons of options..

The problem I have seen for some older women is the competition is very stout for desireable older men...Younger and older women are coming after them, mostly because the younger women really can't deal with a lot of the younger guys and want something more serious and are willing to give in to the age gap...Younger guys that chase older women mostly arent looking for relationships and are approaching it as a sexual MILF fantasy...nothing more, really...If it happens, its exceedingly rare..

My advise for older women is keep up your looks/body as best you can...Desirable guys your age really prefer/want you, moreso than a younger woman.. but they won't settle if you are falling apart physically...Sorry, I know that sounds kinda crude...:(

TFY

Edited by thefooloftheyear
  • Like 2
It's important to understand something here: men and women view each other very differently. Men fall in love with their eyes. Women fall in love with their ears. So the short answer to your question is yes, men usually prefer younger women.

Sorry but this is no longer the case. Men like to think this is the way we think.

• Like 2
lucy_in_disguise

We all want someone who is physically attractive, not crazy, and has their siht together. These aspects of one's character aren't always aligned at the same time, so it's a balancing act in terms of what you offer and what meets your needs.

Some people value physical attraction more or have more rigid ideas about what they find attractive, and they may be the type who search for youth their whole lives. These people will always exist, and you're better off avoiding them as potential partners.

. I think the vast majority though take a more balanced view where age maybe a perk due to its correlation with attractiveness, but where its not a driving factor. I think being in shape, taking care of your skin, having your life together and being a nice, well rounded and interesting person is enough to attract enough interest to have a chance at finding a good match at any age.

• Like 1

Men who fall in love with their eyes ? Means they just look at the wrapping paper and not what is inside ? Those guys have major relationship failures in life. Only screwed up men do that.

Women who fall in love with their ears ? So those who believe every word a guy says but don't use the thing between their ears? They too are have superficial relationships. And end up getting used.

Times have changed. Those who think beyond this old thinking are making better choices and having more satisfying relationships.