Finger length ratios – Ever considered their significance?

This is a “spin off” from another thread where a poster described a woman that he perceives as having a “masculine energy”.

I really identify with this, as a female, who has always had, what could be described masculine tendencies. I was a “tom boy” growing up, always had more male friends that female. My interest are more in line with stereotypical male interest…. I rather re-wire a hot rod then spend the day at the mall. I tend to be assertive and dominate. I am a thrill seeker, and enjoy “adrenaline” pursuits.

When it comes to relationship, I find myself more often than not in the stereotypical “male role” – in that I tend to be the one less emotionally invested, I am not the best at reading other’s emotions, I have a high sex drive, and I can be rational to a fault (at times I feel like the “dumb dude” hurting my partner’s feelings…)

Now, I had always attributed much of this to growing up with a single dad (lack of female influence?), and it being just the “way I am”.

However – there have been studies on finger length ration (this isn’t quack science!) that seem to shed some light on this:

Digit Ratios

http://www.handresearch.com/news/Menu_bestanden/hands-up.jpg

Polite, promiscuous... gay? What does your ring finger say about you? - Telegraph

I have a ring finger that is longer than my index finger (well, on one hand… my left ring finger has been severely injured – being a fearless tom boy had its risks!) Studies have shown that this is caused by exposure to large amounts of testosterone while in the womb. And I find many traits related to this finger ration apply to me.

Have you noticed the same? How do your fingers add up?

• Like 1

My fingers are normal and I still have bigger balls than any man. ;)

Srsly I don't know about the finger thing but I suspect that the only real difference in energy and aggressive/submissive behavior is social conditioning-based, not genuinely gender-based. In modern times as women have become empowered there are examples everywhere of women out-masculine-ing men and crushing them when it comes to competition and those sorts of things.

• Like 3
thefooloftheyear
My fingers are normal and I still have bigger balls than any man. ;)

Srsly I don't know about the finger thing but I suspect that the only real difference in energy and aggressive/submissive behavior is social conditioning-based, not genuinely gender-based. In modern times as women have become empowered there are examples everywhere of women out-masculine-ing men and crushing them when it comes to competition and those sorts of things.

Social conditioning?

I guess male secondary characteristics and testosterone are just myths, then?......:rolleyes:

TFY

• Like 1
  • Author

Oh I have Morton's toe as well ;) but its not caused by fetal exposure to testosterone...

Hormones DO affect our physical, and mental traits, that is undeniable, its not just social conditioning. This is true of humans, and animals as well.

Testosterone is associated with aggression, sex drive, athleticism etc. In humans, and animals.

Now, that is not to say that hormone exposure, whether in the womb, or otherwise is the ONLY variable that shapes personality, aggression etc - of course not.

But it does certainly play a role. Finger length ratio just happens to be a indicator of hormone exposure during development.

"A number of studies have shown a correlation between the 2D:4D digit ratio and various physical and behavioral traits"

(studies even go on to describe physical differences in genitalia due to this hormone exposure)

As for physical / athletic endeavors... testosterone gives an advantage. Thats why both male, and female athletes tend to take it (illicitly) - I can tell you about a pro female mountain biker... who drinks her own urine as its a "great way to naturally boost your testosterone" (I can still her her raspy voice saying this...) But she is the all time leader in downhill racing... it must work for her!

Edited by RecentChange
  • Like 1