why was she awkward around me

(Idk where to put this, so feel free to move this if necessary)So there's this girl, we don't see each other that often but occassionally at club meetings where we talk a bit there, but not much. We also studied together with mutual friends a few times last year. So anyways, once we ran into each other on the street walking in the same direction, and she said hi to me and asked me how my birthday was from 2 days ago, what did I do etc. Then after we're done talking about my birthday, I tried to talk to her about other stuff, like upcoming finals and summer plans. All of a sudden, she started becoming really awkward and gave more short responses. Then we pretty much walked together silently until she abruptly said bye to me at an intersection, and walked off in another direction. What's going on here?

It's hard to say, what did you "want" it to be?

I mean, sounds like a chick who ran into someone she knew and was just trying to be polite by making conversation.

I mean, I was thinking about this yesterday. Mum and I were in the grocery store and we asked for help with finding some stuff. And, I keep it quick and short. Once I was done asking and question was answered, I move on...My mom just lingers there like in an awkward state like she's "supposed" to keep on chatting to the person in the store and I'm ready to move on.

regine_phalange

I'm sometimes like that when I REALLY like someone. I almost get a panic attack and want to escape ASAP. :o But that's just me.

• Like 1
I'm sometimes like that when I REALLY like someone. I almost get a panic attack and want to escape ASAP. :o But that's just me.

I am exactly the same. Normally I can talk to anyone, anytime, am cool, calm. However, if I have really strong feelings for a guy I turn into an awkward little girl, doing strange things like running off.

Keep talking to her. Be nice and engage her in fun conversation and she will get more comfortable around you. You need to escalate talking and touching.

• Like 1
  • Author
I think she was just being friendly and polite and sensed you were wanting more.

What do you mean? how could she sense anything if we were only talking about my birthday?

I am exactly the same. Normally I can talk to anyone, anytime, am cool, calm. However, if I have really strong feelings for a guy I turn into an awkward little girl, doing strange things like running off.

yes. same here. if I like someone I will do strange things...

• Author
I think she was just being friendly and polite and sensed you were wanting more.

I still don't get what you mean. How could she sense anything if we were only talking about my birthday? Does anyone want to elaborate?

I still don't get what you mean. How could she sense anything if we were only talking about my birthday? Does anyone want to elaborate?

Communication is also non-verbal...

Maybe you lean into her, maybe you look her up/down and don't even recognize it.

That's why certain convos I like to do in person with someone...Communication in person is a lot better (although sometimes nerve-racking).

• 1 month later...
  • Author

One more question. Does this mean that she most likely EITHER likes me OR senses that I like her? Could there be any other explanation to her awkwardness?

Could there be any other explanation to her awkwardness?

Yes. She was just making idle chat and it lasted far beyond her comfort zone so she was trying to get away

• Author
Yes. She was just making idle chat and it lasted far beyond her comfort zone so she was trying to get away

you mean some people can be just awkward around some other people for no specific reason? Since that doesn't seem often and she's clearly not awkward like that around everyone