Girls dating shorter guys? Yay or nay?

juststarry6443

Generally I hear so many girls not into dating a shorter guy. It's all about that cliché: tall, dark, & handsome. I don't get why thts the ideal man for women. There's men who totally dig taller woman so why can't it be the other way around? Are there any girls out there who totally have no problem with dating a shorter guy? &girls who do, how come? Is it wht defines masculinity?

This question came to mind cause my best friend thinks my cousins are totally attractive. Saying with both she can talk with them. &I'm like cool! Go ahead and date one of them if you'd like. &she's like I'm taller than both of them! &I'm like why are you so picky with looks. (He is about 2 inches shorter.)

It probably has less to do with the cliche and more to do with evolution; in humans, the male of the species is (generally-speaking) designed to be the larger of the two sexes. If it was about the cliche, there would be no blonde men left in Sweden.

At 5' tall, I'm kinda gonna default into dating men who are taller than I am...iffin I want to date.

By the way, the evolutionary track works both ways: just as Mother Nature groomed women to feel more protected and secure with a taller male mate,

She makes men feel more masculine and omnipotent when towering over his female mate; both of these work to ensure the *success* of the species.

Perhaps you're right, though and we ARE all ruled by cliches...and that's how we got the ol' "Find a spinner, date a winner." ;)

• Like 1

I guess its all about a woman wanting a bigger man than her. If she were to date a shorter or thinner guy than her, shes going to feel huge and unattractive. Im 5'7 and my current bf is almost 6'ft, but i will admit ive dated guys who are 5'6 or my height and honestly, i prefer taller men, just because i like them to be still taller than me when i wear heels and i dont have to constantly worry if i look like a giant next to him. Plus i just think a taller man looks better with me!

I've dated both tall, short, and average height guys...

My issue with shorter guys is if "they" have an issue with their height...

Same goes with fitness, money, intelligence, etc...Some guys feel intimidated by certain women

• Like 1

Most of my exes were shorter than me.

No biggie.

I'm a bit taller than average for a girl (5'8) and have had men tell me I am too tall.

Rude! :p

• Like 1
I guess its all about a woman wanting a bigger man than her. If she were to date a shorter or thinner guy than her, shes going to feel huge and unattractive. Im 5'7 and my current bf is almost 6'ft, but i will admit ive dated guys who are 5'6 or my height and honestly, i prefer taller men, just because i like them to be still taller than me when i wear heels and i dont have to constantly worry if i look like a giant next to him. Plus i just think a taller man looks better with me!

I always find it hilarious when a woman in heels is then an inch or so above her bf/date and that slight extra gets described as 'towering over him' or 'I look like a giant next to him'. When you put on weight and are wider than your bf will you spare his feelings about feeling spindly & bony next to you, and breakup with him and seek out a fatter guy. lol

I think a sexy svelte women on my arm makes me look better. They're the ones for me.

It's a bigger issue in social media profiles than it is in real life girls you meet. If a guy is attractive enough physically and personality-wise, short or not, he can attract lots of women. I dated some same height and shorter. Our most popular guy in our big crowd was really good looking and in a band and very creative so he had a lot going for him. Height wasn't one of them. But he had more girls than he could shake off.

• Like 2
It's a bigger issue in social media profiles than it is in real life girls you meet. If a guy is attractive enough physically and personality-wise, short or not, he can attract lots of women. I dated some same height and shorter. Our most popular guy in our big crowd was really good looking and in a band and very creative so he had a lot going for him. Height wasn't one of them. But he had more girls than he could shake off.

Thank you ^^

It's all about attitude - really. Me too, I've dated tall and short and if you suck and ain't got it goin' on, your height "is" something they'll focus on.

RecentChange

Like others mentioned, women often want someone bigger than themselves - it's just part of the feminine ideal to be smaller.

Also, I find larger men, taller and or with wide shoulders etc. physically attractive - again, probably tied to ideals of masculinity, but as a 5'6" female who is strong (and not terribly dainty) I want a man that is at least as "big" as me.

I have been with all shapes and sizes - but tall, dark and handsome does really does turn me on....

compulsivedancer

I like tall guys. It's definitely a bonus. But if I liked a shorter guy I'd date him. It would just bump him down a point or two on the attractiveness scale for me. And I would probably get rid of all my heels.

The guy I'm with now was unexpectedly 6' (he didn't even mention it in his profile!). I love love love this. I have dated several guys in the 5'10" range and they are still taller than me, but there's just something about a guy in the 6' range (about 6 inches taller).

But all through high school, I was really interested in a guy who was a smidge shorter than me (5'5"ish). It's not a dealbreaker, just not my favorite thing.

I'm taller than DH in heels. My mom was taller than my dad.

There are lots of famous couples where the woman is taller. Remember Tom Cruise is only about 5'6"

It makes them feel smaller and more feminine when they're with a taller guy.

Yep, and it often makes the guy feel more masculine. It's just human psychology.

That said, most of the short guys I know never had any difficulty attracting women (as far as I know), even those taller than themselves. Self-confidence, some assertiveness, looking presentable and a sense of humor (especially if it includes a sharp wit) can go a LONG positive way.

The guys that "struggled" to attract women were very insecure...every single one of them, even the 6'+ tall ones. And in addition they were often viewed as boring and wimpy.

• Like 1
toolforgrowth

These threads remind me of obese women who complain about not getting men.

Men (usually) don't like fat women.

Women (usually) don't like men shorter than them.

Are there exceptions? Always. But do feel these rules generally hold true? Yes.

Work with what you've got.

• Like 2
I'm taller than DH in heels. My mom was taller than my dad.

There are lots of famous couples where the woman is taller. Remember Tom Cruise is only about 5'6"

I'm not a short guy [just under 6'] but my new sb has an inch on me - a tall girl! So in her heels she is way up there. :laugh: My first sb was exactly the same height as me. So in her stilettos she was up there as well.

Doesn't bother me at all. The horizontal measurement is what counts. :D

• Like 1
It makes them feel smaller and more feminine when they're with a taller guy.

This.

To express the opposite side, I feel like a strong protective man when she fits right into my arm space and I can still see over her head.

still_an_Angel

Although I like tall men, its more of the way they make me feel that matters most. Its all about the confidence.

I have been attracted to women who are taller than I am. One was someone who I had worked with before, and she was only two inches taller than I am. I am only 5 foot 9, and that is an average height for a guy. Another woman is someone who I went to school with and I see her from time to time. I think she is about 6 foot 2 or 3. Yes, she is that tall. Of course, seeing tall women does not make them less attractive. I think Kerri Walsh-Jennings is an attractive woman and she is tall.

Some girls don't mind and I know a few with shorter husbands or BFs. For me personally I would never date a guy shorter than myself when I was dating. I'm married now and my H is obviously taller than me. I'm just not attracted to shorter guys. I used to be told I could have missed out on some good guys because I was so hellbent on a 6 footer.

I feel more protected as well with a taller man.

It's just a personal choice really, but I just say however anyone is , there's a match out there for you.

I used to think I wasn't into short guys until I met my current partner. I knew him for a year before we dated and always thought he was very attractive. He has a very masculine and symmetrical face. His height never even factored in for me. He's about 4 inches shorter and it never feels awkward when we kiss or snuggle.

Oh and he was interested in me before I noticed him. He tells me often how he thought I wasn't interested in him and he wondered if it was because of his height. In reality I just felt a little shy around him..

Edited by garfish99
Protected from what?

Good question...

I guess it's more a case of physical appearance, that if I'm with him, especially at night people won't look for trouble with us, as he's not an easy target and stands tall. He looks/is strong, so they can move along. I feel safer with a tall man, even though I know strength is not related to height.

ETA

I also love being able to look up to my H and stretch up to put my arms around his neck. Plus I wanted a man that was still taller than me in heels. I wear 3 inch heels and my H still has a few inches over me.

Edited by sandylee1
eta