How to approach a guy in the library

Theres a really cute guy i see in the uni library a lot of the times im there. I see him occasionally look over at me but when we meet eyes i tend to look away bc i get very nervous around guys im interested in. I want to approach him and talk to him but im not the type to make the first move and i dont want him to think im being creepy or weird. What should i do??

• Like 1
normal person

If you want something you're going to have to step out of your comfort zone and be vulnerable. Luckily, you're a girl so the "creepy" or "weird" labels probably won't get applied to you. A guy will usually be very welcoming to a girl coming up to him.

You could ask to borrow a pen or something. You could sit at his table if the circumstances are inconspicuous. If he seems interested, keep at it. If he's dismissive then you can just cut your loss and save face.

• Like 2

You don't have to blatantly show interest in him (i.e. walking up to him and asking him to talk)...

I think you should try subtle things - like sitting near him. And, when you do, say something like "Excuse me, do you mind if I sit here?"....Then, keep on sitting by him, then one day do like others said, like 'ask him for a pen...pretend you left yours at home'...or ask him what he's reading...

Then, hopefully you two can start chatting and escalate the chatting from friendly banter to asking him more about him...by then, hopefully he'll get the clue that you're into him w/o pressure to you or him...and, hopefully someone will suggest a coffee outside of the library ;)

• Like 1

Start smile. Say hi or wave.

If he's sitting at a table, ask if you can sit there too. It doesn't matter if every other table is also empty.

If you recognize a book he's studying ask about that class -- whether you have had it & offer to help or are inquiring about whether to take it.

• Like 1
Frank2thepoint

You're in the library. You're not allowed to talk. Slip him a note, and smile at him. Hopefully the note says something like "hi" and "let's chat somewhere" and "let's grab some food together".

• Like 2
  • Author

Thanks for the advice everyone! Lately ive seen him but he tends to sit at a distance away but still glances at me when he's walking. I want to be hopeful but could this be because he's not interested or alrdy has a girlfriend? :(

You're in the library. You're not allowed to talk. Slip him a note, and smile at him. Hopefully the note says something like "hi" and "let's chat somewhere" and "let's grab some food together".

Okay, I have to ask for more 'manpinions' on the above. I think it is absolutely adorable BUT would you LS men think it adorable or weird/creepy. I so sincerely would like to know AND I think since it was suggested to the OP, even more reason to chime in LS-men* :)

Thanks for the advice everyone! Lately ive seen him but he tends to sit at a distance away but still glances at me when he's walking. I want to be hopeful but could this be because he's not interested or alrdy has a girlfriend? :(

You won't know until you chat him up....

That's why I recommend the subtle/friendly approach of just asking if you can sit near him, etc. Cuz, if you just flat out ask him out you not only are over doing it, but yeah, you may find out he has someone, etc.

Assuming he's taller than you: walk over into his vicinity, try to reach for a book on a shelf that's just a little too high for you, but one that he could reach. If he's interested (and a gentleman) he'll notice and help you out. Could be a good ice-breaker.

• Like 1
Frank2thepoint
I want to be hopeful but could this be because he's not interested or alrdy has a girlfriend? :(

Stop jumping to conclusions and making assumptions. Represent New York properly, grab the bull by the horns (and your destiny), and act. Do something overt, but not crazy. Slip him a note as I suggested or follow him out of the library, and just talk to him. Say "hi" for a start, instead assuming things.

Okay, I have to ask for more 'manpinions' on the above. I think it is absolutely adorable BUT would you LS men think it adorable or weird/creepy.

I think it would be adorable to receive a note from an interested girl. Nothing creepy about it, because it shows the woman has gumption. But I'm not from around here. I'm a romantic. So take my "manpinion" with a grain of salt. :cool:

• Like 2