Breaking things off with a Sociopath

I'm hoping my dating experience with a guy I now know to be a Sociopath, might help others seek some understanding regarding the nature of some really bad people out there. I'd like to start an open discussion about Sociopaths, learning how to spot one, and maybe help others to spot them.

I broke things off with a pretty terrible guy in the last 2 weeks. I figured out he was a compulsive liar- and in the end, I wasn't feeling there was a real connection, and I was tired of the empty promises. I didn't let it go on too long before I walked, but the endless promises, and the intimate depth of his promises, left me feeling confused about why a person would say the things he said but never followed through with anything. I'm talking HUGE promises, too huge to be true.

I am not hurting over this anymore, mainly embarrassed that I even got sucked in a little bit because I fell for the flattery, promises, and affection, despite feeling in my gut that something was off. I didn't stay long - but I know lots of people stay with a person like this and allow it to ruin them.

I started looking into some aspects of his personality after I left him- and it hit me, I'd gotten involved with a Sociopath. A cold, calculating creature that pretty much seduced me like winning my heart was a game. A new challenge, a new temporary high. That's all it was.

I see lots of people struggling with trying to understand why some people can be so actively cruel and not seem to care. It definitely comforted me to realize I'd dodged a bullet.

They lie, steal, manipulate- all for personal gain. This guy I dated sized me up, and became the person he thought I needed him to be in order to exploit me. He began to devalue me and discard me when he realized I couldn't be manipulated and started challenging him on his lies and empty promises. He was an addict and a compulsive gambler (which he tried to hide)- and he was always so secretive- not to mention just plain shady.

There were so many other red flags I haven't revealed yet because I'm only seeing them in hindsight as I've figured out I briefly dated a real life Dexter, lol.

Feel free to chime in and talk about your own experiences.

Edited by D-Lish
  • Like 6
  • Author
He sounds to me like a narcissist. Are they the same thing? :confused:

No, they are not. He had narcissistic qualities though- and many behaviours cross over in the spectrum of diagnosis. He had grand delusions, and that's a behaviour common in both.

What is the difference between a Narcissist and a sociopath?

• Narcissist is not a sociopath always, but a sociopath is almost always a narcissist.

• Every Narcissist is not suffering from a personality disorder; it is only a character of extreme Narcissism. But a sociopath is a person who is suffering from antisocial personality disorder.

• A Narcissist can easily move into being a sociopath due to the overlapping characteristics of the two personalities.

• A narcissist is not always a social threat, but a sociopath is considered as a social threat most of the time.

Read more: http://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-narcissist-and-vs-sociopath/#ixzz3BqHcOW9Q

Edited by D-Lish
  • Like 7

Sociopaths and those with NPD are similar in that they lack empathy.

A sociopath typically doesn't commit murder, however, unlike a psychopath.

It's a spectrum, so there's no "one size fits all" for NPD or sociopaths. Awareness of the term does seem to have resulted in it being bandied around easily - some women like to label an ex a sociopath when actually he's just a garden variety selfish loser. But hey, any awareness is good awareness.

I suspect my mother has NPD, which lead me into a relationship with a man who was eerily similar. It was a slow journey of awful realisation, let me tell you that. Before I did my research and sought counselling, I just thought my mam and my ex had similar personalities, not personality disorders!

I'm not even at my destination yet, as both the ex and the mother have a similar hold on me (I really, really want to see the good in them).

It does ruin you. I feel as if my emotional wiring has been tangled up, and I'm staying single until I can figure out why I got myself into this mess in the first place. I normalised a lot of my mother's behaviour, which is why I wasn't able to spot the signs in the ex and just RUN.

• Like 5

So just out of curiosity, did you determine yourself that he is a sociopath, did he tell you, or did you find a folder laying around his house with the diagnosis in it?

It's pretty easy to attribute a lot of stuff to someone who sweet talks you out of your panties and then doesn't come through on the promises... but that doesn't necessarily make him a sociopath. I guess if it helps you get over him there's no harm in convincing yourself that he has a serious personality disorder, but that's not quite the same as having some kind of empirical evidence.

Has he actually been diagnosed or... ?

• Like 8

PS: I have doubts about the source of your bullet list of distinctions. Narcissism is definitely a personality disorder in the Cluster B group. The statement that a narcissist "can easily move into being a sociopath" seems pretty damn questionable. Personality disorders don't just ebb and flow into and out of people, or people into and out of them. They are persistent––by definition.

The essential difference is that a narcissist is self-absorbed, self-aggrandizing as a defense, a delusion perhaps, to mask feelings of severe inadequacy. A sociopath is simply missing the emotional capability to connect, care and empathize with others.

Many of the cluster B disorders are often found to be comorbid, so it is quite possible to find a lot of overlap in the individual, but the diagnoses are distinctly different. There are no common items in the lists of criteria:

Narcissism

A pervasive pattern of*grandiosity*(in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:*

(1) has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)*

(2) is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love*

(3) believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)*

(4) requires excessive admiration*

(5) has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations*

(6) is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends*

(7) lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others*

(8) is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her*

(9) shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes

Antisocial

A. There is a pervasive pattern of disregard for and violation of the rights of others occurring since age 15 years, as indicated by three (or more) of the following:*

(1) failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful behaviors as indicated by repeatedly performing acts that are grounds for arrest*

(2) deceitfulness, as indicated by repeated lying, use of aliases, or conning others for personal profit or pleasure*

(3) impulsivity or failure to plan ahead*

(4)*irritability*and aggressiveness, as indicated by repeated physical fights or assaults*

(5) reckless disregard for safety of self or others*

(6) consistent irresponsibility, as indicated by repeated failure to sustain consistent work behavior or honor financial obligations*

(7) lack of remorse, as indicated by being indifferent to or rationalizing having hurt, mistreated, or stolen from another*

B. The individual is at least age 18 years.*

C. There is evidence of*Conduct Disorder*with onset before age 15 years.*

D. The occurrence of antisocial behavior is not exclusively during the course of Schizophrenia*or a*Manic Episode.

• Like 3

Wow what made you guys gravitate to these guys? I can smell the bull sh it even before they walk in the room....I go by, it if sounds too good to be true...it is.

• Like 3

Sociopaths also tend to think they're invincible and smarter than everyone else. They get that sense because they have no ethical bounds and so they will play dirty and be ruthless and do things other people would feel bad about, so in some situations they accomplish more.

Bottom line, get away as fast as you can. A narcissist is annoying; a sociopath can just as easily be dangerous as not, depending on what they need to do to get what they want.

• Like 5
  • Author
So just out of curiosity, did you determine yourself that he is a sociopath, did he tell you, or did you find a folder laying around his house with the diagnosis in it?

It's pretty easy to attribute a lot of stuff to someone who sweet talks you out of your panties and then doesn't come through on the promises... but that doesn't necessarily make him a sociopath. I guess if it helps you get over him there's no harm in convincing yourself that he has a serious personality disorder, but that's not quite the same as having some kind of empirical evidence.

Not at all, he's never been diagnosed. I don't think he has ever visited a Doctor. I don't think he'd accept a diagnosis, let alone seek one out.

Empirical evidence is a direct study regarding observation and experience, lol- that's pretty much what I'm basing this on- MY direct experience and observations. That's what Empirical evidence is.

• Like 1
  • Author
PS: I have doubts about the source of your bullet list of distinctions. Narcissism is definitely a personality disorder in the Cluster B group. The statement that a narcissist "can easily move into being a sociopath" seems pretty damn questionable. Personality disorders don't just ebb and flow into and out of people, or people into and out of them. They are persistent––by definition.

The essential difference is that a narcissist is self-absorbed, self-aggrandizing as a defense, a delusion perhaps, to mask feelings of severe inadequacy. A sociopath is simply missing the emotional capability to connect, care and empathize with others.

Many of the cluster B disorders are often found to be comorbid, so it is quite possible to find a lot of overlap in the individual, but the diagnoses are distinctly different. There are no common items in the lists of criteria:

Narcissism

A pervasive pattern of*grandiosity*(in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:*

(1) has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)*

(2) is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love*

(3) believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)*

(4) requires excessive admiration*

(5) has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations*

(6) is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends*

(7) lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others*

(8) is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her*

(9) shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes

Antisocial

A. There is a pervasive pattern of disregard for and violation of the rights of others occurring since age 15 years, as indicated by three (or more) of the following:*

(1) failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful behaviors as indicated by repeatedly performing acts that are grounds for arrest*

(2) deceitfulness, as indicated by repeated lying, use of aliases, or conning others for personal profit or pleasure*

(3) impulsivity or failure to plan ahead*

(4)*irritability*and aggressiveness, as indicated by repeated physical fights or assaults*

(5) reckless disregard for safety of self or others*

(6) consistent irresponsibility, as indicated by repeated failure to sustain consistent work behavior or honor financial obligations*

(7) lack of remorse, as indicated by being indifferent to or rationalizing having hurt, mistreated, or stolen from another*

B. The individual is at least age 18 years.*

C. There is evidence of*Conduct Disorder*with onset before age 15 years.*

D. The occurrence of antisocial behavior is not exclusively during the course of Schizophrenia*or a*Manic Episode.

A Narcissist responds to the self love of the mirror of themselves. That's all it's about. A Narcissist lives within themselves more than a sociopath that ventures out for adventure to ruin other people. A sociopath is more calculating and methodic. A sociopath is always selfish and narcissistic, they are different animals.

A Narcissist would rather stay home, or close to home, and admire themselves in the mirror and draw people to them- whereas a sociopath will roam to find targets.

Edited by D-Lish

Very few sociopaths or those with NPD are diagnosed as such. They won't seek help. Especially anyone with NPD; they think it's "my way or the highway".

Usually it's their nearest and dearest who end up getting the psychiatric help, which is when it comes to light.

• Like 3
Very few sociopaths or those with NPD are diagnosed as such. They won't seek help. Especially anyone with NPD; they think it's "my way or the highway".

Usually it's their nearest and dearest who end up getting the psychiatric help, which is when it comes to light.

True, but I think people should be making clear distinctions between those they suspect of having such disorders vs. those who know it for a fact by way of professional diagnosis. But then I have to realize, this is loveshack and one really has to zero the expectations. Want to be an expert? All you have to do is start a thread... hypothesis becomes fact with the click of a mouse.

• Like 6

One more comment. It can be dangerous to leave a sociopath if they think you belong to them, but the longer you stay, the more of an investment they have, so you have to leave as soon as possible and make a clean no-contact break.

• Like 1

I think you were warned to pay attention to what a man does and not what he says. You created a fantasy and then the bubble burst.

• Like 5
Not at all, he's never been diagnosed. I don't think he has ever visited a Doctor. I don't think he'd accept a diagnosis, let alone seek one out.

Empirical evidence is a direct study regarding observation and experience, lol- that's pretty much what I'm basing this on- MY direct experience and observations. That's what Empirical evidence is.

Then please share specific examples.

So far what we've got is:

- Gambling addict

How was he cold and calculating? What did he lie about? How did he begin to devalue and discard you? How was he shady? What did he steal? How did he manipulate?

Once you stick one of these DSM 5 labels on a person without the background in psychology to understand the broad spectrum and underlying framework for assessment it can lead to false conclusions.

• Like 1
  • Author
Then please share specific examples.

So far what we've got is:

- Gambling addict

How was he cold and calculating? What did he lie about? How did he begin to devalue and discard you? How was he shady? What did he steal? How did he manipulate?

Once you stick one of these DSM 5 labels on a person without the background in psychology to understand the broad spectrum and underlying framework for assessment it can lead to false conclusions.

It's just a long story to write, and I went through most of it in another thread. I do understand abnormal psychology, I studied it to a degree in College in order to become a Youth Counsellor- nothing overly extensive of course. I'm not claiming to be an expert at all. I can say that I'm intuitive, and intelligent enough. What I can say is that I was the one that spent the time in a relationship with this guy- and my observations come from my experience.

All of the behaviours would be far too many to go over at length and I don't necessarily want to rehash all of them. I believe him to be a sociopath, and I started this thread to talk about dealing with one.

Compulsive liar. He lied about anything and everything, even things he didn't need to lie about- when it would have been easier to tell the truth. Big lies (he was a semi-pro sports player), his dad died and he was living on an inheritance. His job, owning his house... the list goes on and on. The small insignificant ones- well I could write a novel about. We'd be driving and a radio station would come on- and the DJ was his cousin...

Grandiose Delusions. Getting drafted, going on to make a 3 figure salary, a big list there as well.

Compulsive gambler. Just after I met him, he sold his car. I believe he got $7000 for the car- it was gone in a month.

Impulsive, unable to plan ahead regarding consequences. Regarding his car. I believe he sold his car so he could look impressive to me and have cash to gamble with- and back up his story that he was living high on the hog. He had no plan for when that money ran out- and by the end he had claimed to have lost his wallet and debit card and was asking me and the only friend that came around if he could write us a check in exchange for cash. I said no, because I was already gearing up to go. His poor friend, that hadn't known him long- was lending him money.

Calculating. We texted for a long time before meeting. I opened up to him about everything- my insecurities and vulnerabilities, my past experiences. When we met, he instantly became my "perfect" partner. He said all the right things. I KNOW he saw me as a challenge and set out to win me. He told me he loved me pretty much right away, that he wanted to raise his daughter with me, that he'd never leave me no matter what, he was going to put a ring on my finger, what would I say f he proposed. Again, the empty promises would be too much to list. He rarely followed through on the more mundane promises. The aforementioned is why I questioned his intentions and sincerity and started a thread about such a thing being too good to be true. Much of the other stuff I am describing I discovered as I'd had enough and decided to end it.

Secretive/shady. Again, a long list of experiences- as well as just a general feeling. He had no real friends- just one guy he'd just met. No one else ever text, called, dropped by...

Drug Addict. He had a chronic addiction to weed (who knows what else). Nothing as a trait on its own- but something when it's part of the whole picture.

Selfish and self centered. Our relationship began to turn a corner when I asked for him to reciprocate in terms of some of my needs. I'd spent the week at his place, just a fun week overall. I worked 40 hours a week and was commuting to his place. I was going to go back home for a few days and he begged me to come back after work. He promised to make me dinner if I'd come back. He didn't work remember. I came back, and he was high, and a little drunk...No dinner made. I got upset. I sat him down and told him I didn't need much, but I'd done a ton for him and I was disappointed he hadn't followed through. I told him that night that he just needed to learn to be more considerate and follow through or things wouldn't work. That made me pretty inconvenient to him (asking for one thing from him), and it's almost as if I saw the wall go up. By morning we were both distant. I'd pretty much made up my mind that I was going to leave him.

In terms of the lying, he was fine with the core lies he told, they remained stable, but he just wasn't intelligent enough to organize the impulsive lies. They'd contradict things he'd told me before- or I'd ask him a quick question about the lie- meant to put him on the spot (but never calling him out as a liar). For instance, we were out for lunch and he mentioned that he'd looked at the calendar that morning and realized it was the anniversary of his dad's death... I was onto the BS by then and I knew I was going to leave soon. I just casually asked right away "oh really? oh no, I don't even know the date today- what's the date today?" I just wanted to call him out without actually calling him out. Of course he stammered, then looked down at the menu and said "ya I know, sad day- then looked down at the menu and asked me what I was going to order". I challenged him in the end- but never directly called him a liar. He knew he couldn't outwit me.

That same night, we had a lot of drinks and watched a movie and laughed our butts off- he was spouting the sentiment that I was his best friend and we'd be together forever. I was really only eating in the compliments and flattery at this point, and enjoying the perceived connection with him, even though I'd come around to the fact that we had to end. But I just wasn't ready to let go of the times like that one- it had been a long time since I felt that euphoric. It was just so much fun, those moments. This was the night before the wall came down.

I remember with clarity- we were laughing at the movie and snuggling into one another and he just randomly said "you're the smartest girl I've ever dated, and sometimes that intimidates me". It was just a random statement. A lie perhaps like everything else, but it seems to me looking back like it was the most sincere moment we ever actually had together. Why? Because I looked up at him, and he wasn't looking at me, he was staring straight ahead. He always looked me in the eyes when he was giving me his spiel- but not this time. I took it as flattery, maybe a break through where he was realizing that he could actually be himself with me.

Nope- I look back now and realize it was his defining moment with regard to the end of us. He knew I wasn't going to make a good victim because I really was way more on the ball than he was. He wasn't having an intimate moment of vulnerability with me- he was speaking aloud that it was time to shut down and move onto an easier mark. The wall went up pretty quickly after that.

I didn't want to rehash all of that- but I guess it's cathartic. I don't come without my own brokenness. I'm very self aware, and I'm very intuitive. I saw this guy coming from a mile away- yet I disregarded and engaged, and jumped into it anyways (all this is retrospect) I knew, but I didn't want to. I didn't put up with it for long- but I should have ended it way sooner than I did. That's a different story.

I guess I just want to illustrate that I'm not jumping to conclusions in order to pacify my grief. I'm not feeling grief anymore.

Why I chose to engage him despite the red flags is my problem- all of the rest is his problem.

• Like 1

Wow. This guy sounds like a complete piece of shyt. You've been around LS almost as long as I have, surely you've learned a thing or two about reading people/dating.

• Like 3
  • Author
Wow. This guy sounds like a complete piece of shyt. You've been around LS almost as long as I have, surely you've learned a thing or two about reading people/dating.

I read people very, very well. I trust my instincts in every other aspect of my life with regard to business and friendship- but my vulnerability is romantic love. I don't know which end is up sometimes- and I get confused. It's the only area of my life that I've never been able to reconcile with.

I was a counsellor for a while, a case worker. I was able to size someone up within minutes of meeting them. I was always on point. I always recognize who people are at the core within a short period of time. I'm an intuitive Empath.

With romantic relationships, I lose perspective. I know something is off- but I pursue it regardless. I see who they are at the core, yet disregard my instincts and engage regardless.

There is something broken in me, I acknowledge that.

I can manage any sort of personality at work, mostly because I understand people and can appeal to their motivations.

Can't do it romantically too well. I'll recognize the personality, but be unable to manage them and be successful in a relationship in the same way I am confident in every other aspect of my life.

Always trust your instincts. My instincts are quite honed- but I get confused when I feel romantic love for someone - I lose perspective.

Edited by D-Lish
  • Like 2

Thanks for sharing that. Sorry if you had to write all that again or if it caused you any grief.

Your story is not unique to educated and intelligent women. One of my mother's friends was with a sociopath for close to a year. He nearly drove her insane with his manipulative behaviour. What kept her on the hook was similar to your experience in that she was drawn to his charm and vibrant energy. Her crushing urge for romance allowed the abuse to go on for months.

She herself was quite successful and it seemed that he had made it his quest to destroy her.

Have you gone deeper to try to understand what it is about romance that causes you to drop your defenses and ignore your intuition?

I see your post as not only a warning against sociopathic behaviour, but also some insight as to why otherwise gifted/intelligent women would fall prey to what, in hindsight, was so plainly obvious. Sociopaths are not the only people who form the abusive end of relationships, and while I'm not looking to blame the victim, I do want to better understand how their thoughts and feelings inform their situation.

Edited by OwMyEyeball
  • Like 4
  • Author
Thanks for sharing that. Sorry if you had to write all that again or if it caused you any grief.

Your story is not unique to educated and intelligent women. One of my mother's friends was with a sociopath for close to a year. He nearly drove her insane with his manipulative behaviour. What kept her on the hook was similar to your experience in that she was drawn to his charm and vibrant energy. Her crushing urge for romance allowed the abuse to go on for months.

She herself was quite successful and it seemed that he had made it his quest to destroy her.

Have you gone deeper to try to understand what it is about romance that causes you to drop your defenses and ignore your intuition?

I see your post as not only a warning against sociopathic behaviour, but also some insight as to why otherwise gifted/intelligent women would fall prey to what, in hindsight, was so plainly obvious. Sociopaths are not the only people who form the abusive end of relationships, and while I'm not looking to blame the victim, I do want to better understand how their thoughts and feelings inform their situation.

Thanks. I am to blame on many levels- because I ignored the warning signs despite my gut feeling, and as fitchick said, the warnings from other people. I have to take responsibility for that.

I'm not grieving over this guy now. If he came back tomorrow and tried to suck me back in- he wouldn't be able to.

The charm, flattery, and declarations of unconditional love was very attractive to me initially. Why? Because that's my one big insecurity - that a man will get to know the bad parts of me and abandon me. I have abandonment issues- and he became the ultimate steadfast, I'll never leave you no matter what partner. He simply became what I needed him to be in order to play a game with me.

The old d-lish probably would have stayed a lot longer than I did - but I think I've finally transferred some of the self respect and authority I practice in my business persona to my romantic experience.

It's ridiculous, because he'd look me in the eye and lie to me, and I'd know it instinctively. But it's amazing how compliments, flattery, and declarations of undying love can mess with a person.

When you aren't a sociopath, it's very difficult to understand how one thinks. Who would deliberately set out to play a game and harm a person without any guilt? That's hard to reconcile with when you don't think that way. It's confusing.

• Like 1

Well I hope you got as much as you could out of the relationship without suffering any lasting damage (emotional, financial, etc.)

My question was intended for partners who end up with them and what issues they struggle with that allows them to be pulled along in a relationship they know, at least on an intuitive level, is toxic. Re-reading my question I realize it was poorly worded.

Abandonment and rejection fears can go very deep and be disruptive to life in general; not just relationships. My expertise on those fears extend only as far as my own struggles with them. So I have some idea of where you're coming from on that front.

Do you have confidants in your life with whom you discuss all these "bad" parts about yourself? The parts you're afraid will scare off a romantic interest? I've found that helps to separate out what's actually bad (and needs to be addressed) and what's really just a deeply embedded fear with no rational basis.

Very interesting thread.

The charm, flattery, and declarations of unconditional love was very attractive to me initially. Why? Because that's my one big insecurity - that a man will get to know the bad parts of me and abandon me. I have abandonment issues- and he became the ultimate steadfast, I'll never leave you no matter what partner. He simply became what I needed him to be in order to play a game with me.

Played you like a fiddle he did.

Good on you for getting out.

• Like 1
  • Author

It's really frustrating when you've experienced something like I did, or others have, only to be told you're not equipped to evaluate your own situation .

Like I said I'm no expert as a recipient- but I still haven't revealed some more harmful behaviours.

I have NO recollection of the very last night we hang out. It was like a fog night, I had sleeping pills on me. he knew I had them.. and had access, A part of me thinks me thinks he slipped me those in he beer he was brining me to go to bed so he could shut me up and stop .

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
Quote from banned member redacted. On-topic comments retained