Know a Narcissist?

SycamoreCircle

Do you find yourself in the company of what may be termed narcissistic people very often?

Just a little background: I experienced a very ugly break up with my girlfriend about 5 months ago. In trying to understand the split and on the recommendation of several people who heard my story I was introduced to Narcissistic Personality Disorder. I've since read a fair amount on the subject and of course, am now very attentive to its symptoms in my daily life.

I live and work in NYC which puts me in contact with a vast array of people and especially those striving to make a success of themselves(which may tip the scales), but I feel like in the past month I've happened upon two different people who give off strong wafts of narcissism. These aren't necessarily romantic interests. One of them, a man, I overheard conversing with another man at the gym(go figure ;-).

I should add that we all exhibit narcissistic traits from time to time. Most people are able to still be balanced and healthy. I guess I just feel like I'm particularly sensitive to its odor, lately.

Symptoms I've picked up on:

-strong sense of entitlement

-devaluation of others

-one-sided conversations where they only talk about themselves

sdrawkcaB ssA
Do you find yourself in the company of what may be termed narcissistic people very often?

Just a little background: I experienced a very ugly break up with my girlfriend about 5 months ago. In trying to understand the split and on the recommendation of several people who heard my story I was introduced to Narcissistic Personality Disorder. I've since read a fair amount on the subject and of course, am now very attentive to its symptoms in my daily life.

I live and work in NYC which puts me in contact with a vast array of people and especially those striving to make a success of themselves(which may tip the scales), but I feel like in the past month I've happened upon two different people who give off strong wafts of narcissism. These aren't necessarily romantic interests. One of them, a man, I overheard conversing with another man at the gym(go figure ;-).

I should add that we all exhibit narcissistic traits from time to time. Most people are able to still be balanced and healthy. I guess I just feel like I'm particularly sensitive to its odor, lately.

Symptoms I've picked up on:

-strong sense of entitlement

-devaluation of others

-one-sided conversations where they only talk about themselves

Yep, it is everywhere in the Yank cities... You must get out of the US to find better people.

I think it is all to do about College and value to corporate society. Once you have your degree, it is more important to sell yourself at the highest level. Once that is ingrained into your being. The longer you push to maintain status, the more it shows in your ways. Some good habits become ungly ones after time.