The one or ones who got away. Still in your thoughts?

Sometimes I find myself thinking about the girl from highschool and another girl from college who slipped out of my clutches. Bumped into the college girl now with two kids of her own. Made me think a little bit when she pointed to her little ones paused for a couple seconds and said these could have been yours. What does this mean?

2.50 a gallon

Right after my marriage went kablewy. I was working no the floor of a factory. Some of us used to get together every other Saturday night at a local club to have some fun and let off steam. The hottest of all the office help, was a total 10, married and well educated. She was coming up on her 5th wedding anniversary, they had it planned to take the weekend off and go to a bed and breakfast and hopefully conceive their first child, now that they were economically solvent. I was shocked to see her show up at our get together, and she was dressed in a short red dress that covered very little. I was even more shocked when she offered to give me a BJ in the parking lot and asked me to take her home and screw her brains out. It seems hubby cancelled at the last second to go with a buddy to watch some poker tournament in Reno. For her the marriage was over and if I did not want her she would find somebody else.

This was only two months after my break up, so when she wanted to get serious in the following months, I blew her off as is it being a rebound affair. I ran into her a couple of years later, she was still not dating anyone serious, and let me know that she still loved me, but there was no way she would ever take me back.

No offense but I think people like your college girl have serious problems. "These could have been yours", really? Isn't she content about having them with someone else? Isn't she genuinely loving them just for the sake of THEM, since they are individuals like every human being?

In your case I'd probably have replied "Them I don't mind, but I'd never want to be with you" or something along those lines.

And gallons case... well, obviously husband wasn't very much in the marriage, I'm sure the poker tournament isn't the only thing they visited in Reno. No need for her to be in a single marriage; of course, there's still the question "Why did you marry then?", but that's gonna get us in the whole wrong direction here.

• Like 3

Every now and then I think about the last girl I had a crush on. I was basically obsessed with her for two years.

I wonder how things would have turned out if she had been open to dating me.

I haven't seen her in forever.

What does this mean?

Normal human, pondering a lifetime of 'what ifs'.

About the only time I'm reminded of such matters is when I post here on LS about past relationships or my life journey.

One really odd and powerful one which comes to mind is often brought on by music, specifically that theme song from 'Titanic' (the movie in the late 90's), since I was in the FSU when that movie and its soundtrack came out and my driver had it on the radio when I was out and about with ladies, and one in particular who became very important to me. So, sometimes, those memories intrude. Hopefully, if I remain healthy, such memories will remain for a lifetime. At the end, if we're lucky, all we have is memories of what was. Enjoy them :)

• Like 2
Sometimes I find myself thinking about the girl from highschool and another girl from college who slipped out of my clutches. Bumped into the college girl now with two kids of her own. Made me think a little bit when she pointed to her little ones paused for a couple seconds and said these could have been yours. What does this mean?

Did you dump her - or let her go? or maybe she harbors a little hurt ?

In either case I think she was just showing you up a little. Ya know you run into old loves and they say "see I am doing well aren't you a bit jealous - you could have had all this.... and a bag of chips.. but you let it go!".

As far as thinking of old loves or GF's well of course I imagine we all think of them from time to time....nothing to it.... until Facebook came around and then all sorts of troubles started for married folks.:lmao:

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
Fixed quote

Yes, seven years later and I still think about her. Often. In many ways we made a great team, but ultimately we were incompatible.

• Like 1
Smilecharmer

Nope, if it didn't work out, it wasn't real. It was just practice or a lesson I needed to learn. Hindsight when you are a little older will make you see that each person you date or think you love is just a stepping stone to getting you to someone who is compatible, amazing and in it for the long run. My husband and I often talk about our past relationships and really appreciate how each one made us better people.

• Like 1
2.50 a gallon

My Ex-Fiance. At age 27, and a full dating card I had began to wonder if I would ever find that special someone. For me it was love at first sight. She had just turned 22. It took me at least 6 tries and 10 weeks before I got a date, and then it was just to teach her how to fish. On the way to the river, she reminded me that we would never be BF and GF as I was too old, too short, too poor (she liked her men in business suits, and I was a blue jeans and T-shirt guy), and I was too white (she being Hispanic). We fell deeply in love, the love making and passion was beyond the scale of 1-10, at the least an 11. The too white killed us. Other than her older sister her whole family accepted us and were happy for us. I have blue eyes, and her mom, loved the old song "Blue Spanish Eyes" and more than once, said she hoped we would have a little girl with blue eyes. The only exception was her older sister, who hated me from day one. We were doing just great, there was no doubt that in the near future we would marry. Then her older sister moved from their small town to our large city, and began plotting against me. She would constantly lie, make up stories about me, like that she had seen me with another girl, etc. We got engaged, but I refused to set a date, until she resolved her problem with her sister. After a year and a half of waiting she finally gave up on me and suddenly walked out of my life. Me, I let her sadly go. We did run into each other about a year later, I think she wanted to try again, but I had moved on. It was too late, the magic was gone. She still has a special place in my heart, and I hope she has had a good life.

Just be blessed they got away. If they really wanted to be with you they never would have been in a position to even get away. There is a reason it happened just be glad it did. You never know what might have happened with that person if you were with them. Best thing to do is leave it alone and let her spend her days in regret about getting away

• Author

Did you dump her - or let her go? or maybe she harbors a little hurt ?

In either case I think she was just showing you up a little. Ya know you run into old loves and they say "see I am doing well aren't you a bit jealous - you could have had all this.... and a bag of chips.. but you let it go!".

As far as thinking of old loves or GF's well of course I imagine we all think of them from time to time....nothing to it.... until Facebook came around and then all sorts of troubles started for married folks.:lmao:

We just grew apart and didn't see each other in much of the same places we frequented.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
Fixed quote
todreaminblue

thats a really weird thing for a mother to say......

i have some fond memories of past loves and bfs...sweet things they have done...but they are memories....not here and now.......relationships end for a reason...they are meant to end....and you are meant to move on......

i would never say that to a guy.......abotu my children......they have fathers and those fathers were meant to have my children as i said weird for her to say that....strange..

if i met up with an old love.....i would catch up but avoid any sort of sexual connotations.....its useless and worhtless to reenact or reignite dead things........deb

• Like 2

I agree with todreaminblue

Nothing wrong with casting some nostalgic thought to your past history, after all that is your life's journey and yours to dip in and out of.

However, that is all it is. A past memory that has no place in the here & now. By all means entertain yourself with it, but be avoid bringing it into current reality. Now is now for a reason. You cannot re-write history.

Yes, seven years later and I still think about her. Often. In many ways we made a great team, but ultimately we were incompatible.

There is one person whom I felt became the measuring stick, where I'm sure he was one of my soul matches. He understood me, I felt absolutely comfortable with him, our lives were in parallel that it was uncanny, we made a great team etc...yet like you, while in many ways we were good and I would love a simialr connection with someone else (even with my current guy this doesn't exist), it lacked in a lot of other ways that one needs for a relationship to work and it still was a case of "We would have been perfect IF..."

So I don't think he got away per se...I don't want him back and we tried more than once and it would barely get off the ground before falling a part, so for me that just means it was close but no cigar. I think the connection though is something that made a real impression on me and that I have found myself comparing with other bfs and wanting again but not really him.

Nope. I discarded them for a reason. If I'd wanted to keep them, they'd still be here. Lizards don't keep their old skins in their cupboard once they shed them - they're artefacts of past selves, long outgrown, and that's how I think of former lovers.