Survey for online daters

ButterflyGirl

Just doing a research assignment for school.

In YOUR opinion (whether yu are gay or straight), what are the stages of an online romantic relationship, starting from initiation of a date to a legalized form of commitment? Or do you think that it is necessary to legalize romantic relationships?

At what point in the relationship does information gathering (like interview questions about personal issues, family, goals, etc) takes place?

At what point in the relationship does sex begin?

Please respond...

That's kind of hard to pinpoint because each situation can be so completely different. It depends on how far apart you are and what the dynamics are from the onset. I've dated quite a few people I met online and fell in love with one of them....we were together for almost two years. We knew each other about 6 months online before we met in person. I think the time frame was pretty much the same sort of time frame we would've used if we had originally met face to face first....as far as sharing about our families and personal emotions.

The downfall of an online relationship...is that there are alot of things about that person you don't know. Like how they walk or chew or relate to other people. Therefore, you have a tendency to fill in the blanks with your personal preferences....and can be disappointed they aren't as "perfect" as you built them up in your mind to be.

Other than that, I handle it the same way I would if it were someone I met "in person". With web cams and phones...I think you can really determine if they are someone you would be interested in right away. Even if it isn't some dynamic love match....I HAVE made lots of friends online who I met later in person and will always treasure them. (WELL...MOST of them. LOL!!)