How do you let someone go?

SleeplessRomantic

She and I were in a relationship for nearly three years.

By the time our relationship ended, she was such a different person compared to when we first got together. I see this as a negative, but then again, my point of view is biased and skewed.:(

Sometimes I can't sleep at night, and I toss and turn when it's really quiet, thinking about the way she used to be and how she changed within three years.

Being in my early 20s, three years is a long time, especially when you think about these years being a sort of 'mercurial period' as one comes into their own as a young adult.

When she and I fist got together, my close friends told me, "Bro, have fun, but don't become TOO committed; you and her both will change SO much over the next 5 to 10 to 15 years, so there's no reason to give yourself to someone completely".

Well, I basically thought they were jealous by saying that, but looking at their statement from hindsight, I'm beginning to think they were right. I will always have a 'love' connection to her, because she means a lot to me, and always will, but she has changed A LOT over the past three years, and I'm 100% positive that I have, too.

How do you let something go? How do you let someone go?

I'm not a big fan of change, so it's something that bothers me. I need to learn.

skydiveaddict

No worries, my friend. If you want to let her go, simply start acting like a needy, insecure, desperate wuss. I mean call incessantly, text, fb, im etc. Pander to her every wish, cry, be emotional, weak and effeminate. Before you know it, she will have let you go and you won't have to worry about it

You let something pr someone go by not obsessing over it every minute of the day, thinking about where you went or her went wrong, thinking about the good times and why it can't be like that anymore etc etc etc.. Time and new memories are what carry us through things. It is hard to get over someone that we have spent so much of our time with, but one day we wake up and we are ok. And everyone changes, no one is the same exact person they use to be. We have to either choose to grow with someone or we grow apart, it can happen at any age.

• Author
SleeplessRomantic
No worries, my friend. If you want to let her go, simply start acting like a needy, insecure, desperate wuss. I mean call incessantly, text, fb, im etc. Pander to her every wish, cry, be emotional, weak and effeminate. Before you know it, she will have let you go and you won't have to worry about it

She's already gone. For about a few months now. I'm just trying to learn to let these things go and deal with it. Some days are easy, others are not. Any advice from your perspective?

You let something pr someone go by not obsessing over it every minute of the day, thinking about where you went or her went wrong, thinking about the good times and why it can't be like that anymore etc etc etc.. Time and new memories are what carry us through things. It is hard to get over someone that we have spent so much of our time with, but one day we wake up and we are ok. And everyone changes, no one is the same exact person they use to be. We have to either choose to grow with someone or we grow apart, it can happen at any age.

Great post. It just sucks. I have a terrible habit of comparing other girls to her. :( For the moment, there's no comparison, but given time, hopefully I won't subconsciously do that.

Edited by SleeplessRomantic

You learn to let someone go by helping out those less fortunate than you.

I highly recommend looking into helping out at a convalescent home, your local church or a homeless shelter.

It will open your eyes, bless you, and shape you into a better man.

Do it. Don't think about it. Just go out and do it.

I have a terrible habit of comparing other girls to her. :( For the moment, there's no comparison, but given time, hopefully I won't subconsciously do that.

just keep talking to other girls. there is so much you still don't know about yourself, there will be others that will teach you what you really value in people. you will meet women that really impress you and it will help you to think less and less of your ex