Too much teasing

My boyfriend has some kind of issue with intimacy and insecurity. By the things he does for me and the way he reaches out to me and for me all the time lets me see and know without any doubt that he really cares for me. But he mixes in a lot of teasing and even mock meanness sometimes. It's like he's terrified of ever showing too much feeling, or doesn't want me to know the extent of his vulnerability or caring. Much of the time it's hard for me to tell when he's teasing and when he's being serious, especially because he has a very humorous, out-going personality. Some of the things he says are hurtful and I have to call him down on it. I wish he wouldn't do this. I wish he'd just let himself be open and sincere with me all the time, because I am not the type of person to ever make fun of him or betray him emotionally, and after five months I think he should realize this. I'm thinking maybe he relates with his family this way, and that's what he's used to. But I come from a verbally abusive background, so I have trouble with this sort of thing. I can't seem to get through to him that his teasing is going too far too often, and that I really feel hurt. Any suggestions?

VASH THE STAMPEDE

Why don't you tell him your feelings about his teasing?

Mock meanness???does he act mean to you and not mean it??If he does it could be a sign that hes mad at you,I often find myself doing that when i'm mad at my wife.

He might have been hurt before in a relationship that has left him unable to act out his feelings in your relationship