How long should i wait?

So here is the gist of it i am a 29 year old female and have been dating the same guy for over 5 years. the first 2 years were not real serious and finally moved in together on the 3rd year..then my dad dies so i left and moved home to help my mother... in the meantime we broke up for about 2 weeks until he decided he loved me and wanted to date me again if i let him...so i believe in giving people second chances and he was never bad to me we just broke up because we didnt know if things were going to work with us living apart..we lived apart for a year but were very serious and he decided to move close to my mom because he knows how important my family is to me and how much i worry about my mother after my dads death. i moved in with him so we have been living together for a year. We get along great, he is very sweet and we never fight. He said right after my dad died he wanted to marry me so here i am 2 years later still waiting to get engaged?????? i dont know if i should wait or if i need to move on??? i feel bad if i move on because we really dont have any problems but i feel lik ei deserve more? how long is to long?? my grandparents wonder if i will ever get married they think something is wrong with me??!! and other family member tell me my biological clock is ticking!?! is he just not that into me or am i just over analyzing things too much?? please help.

Hey Bunny,

If things are good with your boyfriend, then it wouldn't make much sense to break up with him.

I understand that you want to get married. But you 2 were on and off for a while, and you were far for another while, and now in this last year you've been living together.

So maybe he just needs time to see what living together is actually like and if you guys are getting on good, and he already expressed that you 2 should get married, I would think its worth it to wait and see for a bit.

You should however be clear on what you want out of the relationship - don't nag him about marriage, but discuss the issue and let him know if you're ready for it and see what he says.

Also, I get the sense that you probably want this marriage thing to happen NOW mainly because you're getting pressured from your grandparents and other relatives. That's not a good enough reason to jump into a lifetime commitment before both parties are ready for it.

If you're happy right now with your relationship, I wouldn't see breaking it off as the next logical move. Just see what he wants out of the R and what his timeline is like. If it matches yours great! - if not, then you may have somethings to consider.

Good luck!

p.s. 29 is still young :) - dont let other pressure you and set off this time bomb in your head.

ImageofLove

Hi bunny82,

I posted something similar yesterday. I guess you just have to enjoy the relationship as it is. If the fact that he hasn't proposed starts to bother you enough that it affects other parts of your life and you're generally unhappy and unsatisfied then you probably need to set a timeline for how long you feel is fair for you to wait. I know it's hard to know how long because you want to give them time but at the same time women need to respect themselves and be with someone that truly wants to marry them and doesn't leave them hanging!

Good luck!