Who is being rude here?

My roommate came home at 11pm with her boyfriend and the 3rd wheel, I'll call him Henry. My room door was open, because it is the only pathway to the bathroom. Henry happens to be very friendly with me and I think he likes me, but I'm not attracted to him. Anyway, I'm in my room playing a video game and he keeps watching me play it and asking me questions while blocking the doorway. Fine, so he is friendly and my door is open. I had an annoying day and was really sick of being around people and find this whole situation awkward, because my mother would always watch everything I was doing and criticize me. I stop playing the game and say, "I'm tired." He then says, "Oh well, I could sleep over, but your bed is too small" continuing to say, "I could give you a quarter lol." O_o I believe he was joking, but it was really weird. So, after a pause, I said, something else, mentioning something about having a bad day and not wanting to talk to anyone (the truth mixed with being creeped out) and closed the door. Then a bunch of cabinets slammed in the kitchen and they were gone. How is it humorous to imply someone is either a prostitute or that you are that comfortable you want to stay at her house for a quarter? Was I being rude? How else can I get out of the situation? What do I do next time Henry comes over? Is he just completely clueless? How do other people here blow off unwanted advances?

If he was implying you were a prostitute then you should have checked him then not in a disrespectful way but in nicer way to ask him what exactly is it that he is trying to say. I am very open-minded and speak my mind. If you feel uncomfortable let him know nice guy or not. If he comes over again you can speak to him and if you feel like having a conversation with him then go for it but if he makes advances at you tell him no thank you and you really wish that he would stop doing that to you. Let him no he is a nice guy but you are not interested and quite frankly it's disrespectful. Hope this helps.

• Author

If I see him again, that should work. I was grumpy enough to turn him away since, so I don't think I'll have to confront him anyway. Thank you!

If the guy is flirting with you, you have to tell him straight up that you arent interested in talkin to him from the beginning and close your door. You cant hint him away, guys dont work like that. if you dont say no, they keep going. if you see him again, and he tries again, you tell him you dont feel like talking and close the door.

You KNOW he wasnt trying to call you a prostitute, he was trying to talk to you. So it was you bieng rude because you let him stand there for so long without telling him that you werent interested.

Thats crazy you should have cut him off before it even got too that stage so i agree with eddie that you shouldnt have let him stand there that long without telling him that you was interested.

but the best thing to do is learn from mistakes :)

Tell him, "Henry you're getting on my nerves. Shoo! Shoo!" and then shut the door in his face. That oughtta do it.

Be direct,in a polite way. We guys dont "usually" pick up on hints easily.I think he just had a weird sense of humor, and you didnt catch it correctly,as he wanted you to. Live and learn.. Cheers, Will

Be direct,in a polite way. We guys dont "usually" pick up on hints easily.I think he just had a weird sense of humor, and you didnt catch it correctly,as he wanted you to. Live and learn.. Cheers, Will

Agreed 100%.

If I see him again, that should work. I was grumpy enough to turn him away since, so I don't think I'll have to confront him anyway. Thank you!

You could say, "I'm not up to any company, I have really bad PMS." Trust me, he wont' bother you again.

• Author
You could say, "I'm not up to any company, I have really bad PMS." Trust me, he wont' bother you again.

lol, that is what I think he heard in an odd way O_o

• Author

yeah, I knew that he has a strange sense of humor. I just didn't appreciate it much.

Edited by hART
vague
pureinheart

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

pureinheart
Tell him, "Henry you're getting on my nerves. Shoo! Shoo!" and then shut the door in his face. That oughtta do it.

You are so nice OB...I would have used very "colorful" language!!!!!!!!

BlueRidgeMTs

I dont think you were rude. I just think he was.....a dingbat. Clueless.

I mean, reading your post, it does not seem like you were in the best of moods. He should have been able to pick up on that vibe, because im sure you probably werent going out of your way to pay much attention to him as you were playing your game.

Then you TOLD him you were tired. That REALLY should have been his clue to bug off and leave you alone since it already didn't seem like he was getting too far. Instead, he wanted to see if he could cuddle with you. Sure, he said it jokingly about sharing your bed, but you know how a man's mind works. There is always a tiny part of a man that is waiting to get lucky. And you know what 'tiny part' that is.

Bah..your behavior was no big deal. Dude will get over it.

• Author
I dont think you were rude. I just think he was.....a dingbat. Clueless.

I mean, reading your post, it does not seem like you were in the best of moods. He should have been able to pick up on that vibe, because im sure you probably werent going out of your way to pay much attention to him as you were playing your game.

Then you TOLD him you were tired. That REALLY should have been his clue to bug off and leave you alone since it already didn't seem like he was getting too far. Instead, he wanted to see if he could cuddle with you. Sure, he said it jokingly about sharing your bed, but you know how a man's mind works. There is always a tiny part of a man that is waiting to get lucky. And you know what 'tiny part' that is.

Bah..your behavior was no big deal. Dude will get over it.

agreed, I'm finding most guys are pretty clueless, it is kinda cute and annoying at the same time.

Hopeless_Romantico

I might be in the minority sort of but I don't think you were being rude. He was invading your space and being annoying and you don't need to put up with it. Next time, just be more blunt and more direct and just slam the door and blow him off if he gets on your nerves. You can't make everyone happy and some people got to know how it is because they don't read signs well.

• Author
I might be in the minority sort of but I don't think you were being rude. He was invading your space and being annoying and you don't need to put up with it. Next time, just be more blunt and more direct and just slam the door and blow him off if he gets on your nerves. You can't make everyone happy and some people got to know how it is because they don't read signs well.

right on, thank you!