Does karma exist? Why do you believe?

Does karma - good or bad - actually exist? Why do you believe? Any examples?

We tell people not to do certain things (e.g. cheating, lying) lest karmic justice be doled out to them tenfold. Yet, do we not ourselves invite bad karma into our lives when we hope or wish that karma pay a visit to those who've done us wrong?

You can surely bet karma exists. I'd go so far to say it's a law of the universe. Everything you do, good or bad, comes back to you. If you're a parent and you show serious disrespect to your parents....your own children will show same to you. If you lie and deceive others, later on in life people will lie and deceive you. If you show kindness to someone who owes you money, later down the line someone you owe money to will likewise show kindness and patience towards you. If you forgive a debt totally....wow, will that get you lots of good karma points.

Now, to the extent that you can totally forgive those who offend you in any way is the extent that karma is cancelled. When we ask "Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us" what we are asking our creator to do is to cancel our karma according to the way we have forgiven those who have done things to us. It really works. Life has a way of smacking you in the ass unless you learn to forgive. If you truly forgive others, karma is seriously reduced or even eliminated. If you don't, you pay heavily throughout your life. Take it from on who knows first hand and who has observed.

I have no idea what the mystic origin of karma is. Maybe it's just a self fulfilling thing. G-d can't be everywhere so we have to bring it on ourselves, I suppose.

I don't think fate, the universe, or God is retributive. Good and bad things happen to us all; I suppose if someone does us ill, we pay attention when something bad befalls them. However, you can create your own 'karma' by treating others well. Then, when you are in trouble or need something, there will be people who like and respect you enough to help you out.

Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us

I think we need to go farther; to give others a break and to understand that we do not understand others' motivations well enough to think we can judge them.

Yet, do we not ourselves invite bad karma into our lives when we hope or wish that karma pay a visit to those who've done us wrong?

Doing good out of fear is better than not doing it at all, I suppose. Whether it's fear of karma or fear of hellfire, if it works, good.

Karma? I sure do believe in Karma. You know the Scandanavians believe that we are all connected by what is called, "The Web of Wyrd". They believe that we are all connected in something like a spiderweb. Whatever you do in life, somehow or someway affects everyone in the world. I know that it is kind of far fetched, but take a few moments and actually think about. Think about something that you have done to someone and how it affects everyone you know.