Age Difference LOL

HokeyReligions

My girlfriend at work (not romance - we are friends) is married (common law - been together six years) to a man who is 29. She is 42. Her 21 y/o daughter just got engaged to a man who is 34. She just realized that her son-in-law-to-be is OLDER than her own husband!

She is really weirded out by the whole thing! :) It didn't dawn on her until today when she said she's planning Rob's 30th Birthday Party! :bunny:

I just thought it was interesting & thought I'd share.

My mother's other daughter divorced her husband of 25 years (good riddance to bad rubbish) and married a man who is younger than her oldest daughter!

Now THAT would be weird!

Things like this happen all the time, especially in these days of fragmented and disjointed families. It's too bad people get all hung up on the age thing.

you've got to keep your perspective on these things -- and look at the maturity of a person, rather than the age, otherwise you'd go nuts. However ... in the news there has been talk of a 42 yoa woman who married a 14 yoa boy, I think in Florida. Kinda gross, though I'd like to know who would sign a sick note for the principal -- his wife or his teacher?

• Author
HokeyReligions

I heard that on the news too. I'm sorry, but that is just wrong.

I'm not bothered about the age differences with my friend (or my mother's other daughter), I just thought it was interesting.

The 42 y/o woman and 14 y/o boy is just wrong. Where are the boys' parents!

Leno made some comment about what the kid says when the school signs him up for sex education "No thanks, I'm home schooled" !!

If some 42 y/o woman were after my son (for marriage or whatever) I'd be calling the police and filing charges!

in this day and time for different ages, but within reason, I think 14 is too young to be marrying anybody. I'm 38 and I consider men younger than 35 to be way too young for me, even though I look 25! It's kind of funny, I have guys as young as their teens trying to get a look at me, and I think to myself if only they knew how old I was, old enough to be their mom, they'd lose interest real fast.

I remember going to a store to buy something one time a few years back and the sales boy just flirted like crazy. When it came time for him to load the box in my car he saw my toddler's car seat and he really cooled off in a hurry. It was kind of funny.

That toddler is 8 1/2 now, and he's always on the lookout for somebody for me.

i think it's interesting why people get attracted to people of such a different age.

i know it happens to some young people because they're lacking parental-style guidance, or perhaps a role-model.

i know that some older men in their 50s or so like young women because they make them feel younger (or so i heard).

i guess some people are just of an older mindset than most people of their age.

i personally have dated both guys my age and about 10 yrs older, and i can say that the r/s is very diff't, and very diff't emotional needs get fulfilled, on both sides, from what i can tell.

smells like a psych study! prolly been done ...

just some thoughts,

-yes

• 1 month later...

I find this discussion to be interesting. Recently a 50 year old man

has expressed his feelings for me 32 years old. I tend to believe

that where true compatibility is concerned that age doesn't matter. It is interesting to hear all these comments on the age

thing especially the whole 'what-will-happen-if-when-you-decide'

to marry.

• 3 weeks later...

Obviously, before a certain age the difference in age is extremely relevant. I wouldn't want my 14 y/o daughter to date even a 16 y/o. But you reach a point where age only matters if it bothers the couple in question. My dh is 21 years older than I am. When we first were attracted to each other at work, it never occured to me to ask his age, and I knew he was "older" but I had always preferred "older" guys (which is probably why I didn't start dating until I was 18...guys my own age just didn't appeal to me, and I wasn't old enough to date older guys yet). Once my dh and I got more involved, at some point we learned each others ages. There are almost 21 years between us. (Then I was 24 and he 44). There's no "father figure" element to our relationship, since in many ways I'm more "mature" than he. He had never dated anyone more than 2-3 years younger than himself, so I don't think it was a Svengali type thing. We just clicked. And ten years later we still click. I know I will probably spend a longer part of my life as a widow, but then again, who knows? I could have ended up with a guy my own age and lose him in a car accident, or to cancer etc.

Thanks for your insight. I find myself at times wondering what

people will think instead of enjoying each other's company. We

like each other and that's all that matters.

• 4 months later...

I have recently left my husband the day after our 24th anniversary. we have 3 adult children, 27, 23, 20. All college educated and independent. I have 3 grandsons by the 27 year old. I am 45 and have been told I look 30. I have always enjoyed the company of younger people and my kids always treated me more like a sister than a mom. I wore the same clothes as my girls and listened to the same music. I am now in a live-in relationship with a guy that is 31. My two younger kids will not have anything to do with me for leaving their dad. I seem to be the only one with the problem of the age. It's getting better as time goes on, but I keep thinking maybe I'm kidding myself. He gets very upset with me when I bring this up and thinks I want to leave him. He is such an awsome wonderful guy but is very protective. My ex didn't care really what I did. But I'd better not cross any lines with my 31 year old. Any comments?

• Author
HokeyReligions

If you are happy with this guy then don't let age bother you. Enjoy each other - you are the sum of your experiences, not the sum of your years. There are a lot of people a lot younger than me that have have so many more experiences than I have had.

Hopefully your kids will come around and realize that their parents are people too and will want you to be happy on YOUR terms, not theirs. They may be too young and emotional right now to understand that.