Apparently I'm the only one

Disillusioned

Looks like I'm the only man in Los Angeles who wants to meet the right woman to settle down with & get married. There are no marriage-minded women in Los Angeles, and unfortunately I'm stuck here.

• Author
Disillusioned

The problem is, singles in this city have no way to contact each other without going through some kind of middleman. Even when we try to start our own group, it always gets messed up by a bunch of non-serious singles. It's a catch-22.

The problem is, singles in this city have no way to contact each other without going through some kind of middleman. Even when we try to start our own group, it always gets messed up by a bunch of non-serious singles. It's a catch-22.

I'm curious - what do you mean by middlemen?

I'm surprised that few women are marriage-minded there... I would expect that there would be more LA women complaining that the MEN aren't marriage-minded.

• Author
Disillusioned

By middlemen, I mean the online dating services and professional matchmakers. The bar scene is no good for meeting singles in Los Angeles.

Don't get me wrong, there are zillions of single men in this city who want as much sex and as little commitment as possible. But just try to find a woman in this city who's looking for affection (not necessarily with sex as part of the bargain) without blowing thousands of dollars or finding nothing but fakes.

You would think decent singles would get tired of all the abuse and start their own group without interference from people who just want to rip them off or string them along with head games... that was the whole idea behind starting an offline singles group.

Now, sheesh... looks like I'd be better off buying a Realdoll and taking her out on the town, like that guy in Lars and the Real Girl.

It seems like it's like that in most big cities. The single people that live in the city live there because they want options - whether that's options in their career, dining choices, bars, or potential dates. Unfortunately, when you're finally ready to settle down, it IS really hard to find single men or women living in a big city who are in the same state of mind as you are. That's why I resorted to online dating and looking for guys that live in the suburbs versus the city. It seems like guys that live in the city, whether you meet them at bars or online, only want to hook up. Also, when you're in a big city, it makes it a lot easier to walk away from someone once a minor red flag comes up - because you know that there many others out there to choose from. Dating becomes a disposable mentality.

• Author
Disillusioned

That's very true, about a mentality of disposability re dating in big cities. To put a finer point on it, people from NYC, Chicago, Dallas, etc., have told me LA is the most difficult city as far as meeting potential dates. LA, and Paris, France... but I digress.

I guess my idea for tailoring a group for commitment-minded singles, sort of stands that disposability thing on its head... because a person who enters that group with disposability on their mind, would be considered shallow by the rest of the people in the group. To use a religious quote, even heresies have their own heretics, if that makes any sense to you.