How long will he quit smoking?

b19ckr9bb1t

I have been together with my currently boyfriend for 8 months now. I knew he was a social smoker before we got together, and decided 1 month into the relationship that it's either smoking, or me and so he chose me. He picked up smoking about 3 months before our relationship, so i thought the effects of nicotine might not have made him 'addicted' and so quitting shouldn't be too hard at this stage. He quit smoking for me obviously,although the sideline is that his health is better now. We ran into the topic again recently and well, i asked him does he still do it mainly for me, and he said yes. I was quite dissapointed, because yes i thought in time maybe he'll realise how bad smoking really is but he is 20 and hasn't smoked for long, maybe he doesn't realise the effects of it. Either that or he thinks the benefits seem great and just turns a blind eye to the side effects of it.

Well, the reason i wrote in is because i'd like to know whether 1 day i will just have to let it go and let it be his choice whether to smoke and i will just have to deal with it. I honestly think i might not be able to deal with it as in my humble opinion, i think smoking does no good for you(I'm sorry to offend anyone who smokes), even the nice feeling you get from smoking, is from nicotine which is a drug. I know i'm looking far ahead, but i guess i'm worried that in the distant future if we get married and have kids, he starts picking up smoking again because 1. he's already married to me, why does he see the need to do it for me 2. i'm going to leave him for picking up smoking? that just seems shallow, after all we've been through.

I guess in a way, I'll always be living in fear, either that or ignorance is bliss. I know i chose to be in this relationship, but if it means breaking up with him over this, I'd rather now than later when we are married with kids. I don't know how long he will so called 'quit' for me because surely at some pt, he will decide why is he doing this for me, that's if he doesn't eventually do it for himself. I know there are worse things out there like being abused by your partner or being cheated upon, but i guess it's because I refuse to live with a smoker, or be with one which is making this problematic. I acknowledge that I chose to be with him in the first place, and I am to take the blame for it, but i guess i'd like to decide now rather than later, what needs to be done, or not be done.

Thank you for listening to me, I really appreciate your time and effort in reading this. I would be grateful to hear any advice from you.