Halloween Trick-or-Treating with Husband's Other Kids

BlueDress

This weekend I'm going trick-or-treating with my husband and his two children from his current marriage. This is the first time I've spent any real time with them. One is 5 almost 6 and the other just turned 5. Their mother can't be there because she's sick.

I'm trying to think of what I can do to make this special for them. I'm buying them costumes tomorrow and I'm going to give them toy bags. I really want them to get to know me and form a nice opinion about me. How do I introduce myself to them and who I am?

I'm suddenly feeling a lot of pressure over handling them. They seem like good kids. Happy. They just live in a fantasy world which is different than how I raise my kids with my husband. They seem young for their age especially the youngest who I think has delays from being born prematurely. I'm worried they will be overwhelming to handle on an already over stimulating day. I want to make sure I handle this right.

Edited by BlueDress
HopeForTomorrow

Is this your husband or your ex-husband? Because I thought from earlier posts that he is married to this woman who you said is sick. If that's the case, you should (IMO) be butting completely OUT of the situation and the only person who should be deciding what HER children should have as something special for Halloween is HER. They are HER children, not yours. Never will be yours.

Sorry, but wow. I can't even imagine how she must feel. Or what kind of person would prey on the life of someone who has a terminal illness and while they are STILL ALIVE.

• Like 1

I don't understand. Please explain. Trick-or-treating with your husband and his kids from his "current" marriage? How is this possible? Is he a polygamist? Two wives? And you refer to "your kids"...who is their father? That same husband? I'm confused.

• Like 2
  • Author

We divorced a few years ago. We have two kids together. He is trick-or-treating with me and our kids together. He is bringing his kids from his current marriage. She is unable to come.

Aaahhhhh. ExH. You didn't say that.

That's nice of you to take them. They'll have fun. I don't think you'll need to go overboard with anything, costumes and all....4 kids together in a group, they'll be excited to get to know each other, make new friends and hang out. How exciting! I wouldn't worry too much about how the younger ones are immature and living in a fantasy world. Kids are different. So are we. I'm sure it'll be a fun experience no matter what.

• Author

They all know each other very well already. They see each other every day practically. I just want to make sure we all have fun. That they have a good opinion about me.

You won't really have to do anything, and if you want them to form an opinion about you and know you better trick or treating isnt the time.

These kids are gonna be running door to door for candy theyre not really going to be paying any attention to you most of your time out there will be spent standing at the end of each lot supervising.

• Like 2

I was thinking just be friendly. If they want to engage with you just be interested in them. Listen to their stories. Help them with things such as tying shoes, fastening capes, etc. Give them your attention. That works with mine anyway.

Don't be put off if they don't pay you much attention. With so much going on they are likely to not interact with you much.

GorillaTheater
I just want to make sure we all have fun. That they have a good opinion about me.

I wouldn't mention your attempts to extort time, attention, and resources from their dad. Or your designs on him. Or your thoughts about their mother.

• Like 5

It's really hard to give any constructive advice when your story changes from post to post.

In another thread you state that his wife was going to go and you got all upset about that, put your foot down and called the whole thing off. It's really unclear to me why your EX and his WIFE would even consider spending any amount of time with you, when all you've done is attack them, keep his kids from him and light him up with lawsuits and attempts to extort money from him.

What you and he need is an iron clad custody agreement. Whoevers night is Halloween takes the kids out trick or treating. Done, finished.

It's too bad he's not the one posting here.

And please stop calling him your husband. He's not. You've been divorced for 6-7 years. He has a wife, and it's not you.

• Like 3