4th of July proposal

Well, I was not going to say anything to anyone but while I was moving my stuff from my wife's house back in April, I got a call from my daughter's BF while she was away attending her friend's wedding. He wanted to ask me for my daughter's hand in marriage!

He told me he wanted to ask her on July 4th, and I just got a text from her telling me he did ask her and she said yes!

He has been a good boyfriend. Aside from asking me for her hand, he contacted me on father's day just to wish me well and we bonded a bit based upon guns and recreation. He is a good surrogate father to my grandson as far as I can tell (they live far away from me) and those close to him think he's great.

As any father is prone to do, I worry that I made the right decision, but I think I did. I want her to be happy and let's face it, most guys wouldn't even ask a father for her hand! I did back in 1989, but it was more customary back then. In 2009 (my second wife), there was no father to ask. Perhaps I should have asked her mother because I feel her mother was our downfall. WTF ever. Too late!

Anyway, it was more exciting than fireworks especially since I didn't see any! I hope I wake up tomorrow thinking this is a good thing. I think I will. :):):):)

Ken

• Like 3
Grumpybutfun

Congratulations. It is natural to worry about our children. As a father, it is difficult to see life hand them any hard knocks. With that said, I welcomed a son-in-law into our lives a few months ago after welcoming my little granddaughter. It was ass backwards, but it all worked out in the end. I had major reservations about the SIL but he turned out to be a really great father and husband. We have since became close. If you look through my older threads, I think I had one where I actively disliked him. Now he is like another son to me and my wife. They are a couple of happy parents and spouses.

I think at some point we have to trust that they have the tools to deal with marriages and families and their own lives. I will always be here for my little girl, but it was time for her to make her own little family.

Best,

Grumps

• Like 1