parents who give their child cell phones warning DO NOT take calls from strangers

EverLastluv

I have my 13 yr old daughter phone today at work. I pick up a random call from a older man saying " is this ....." He knows my daughter name! then he continue with " You have been choosing to reveive 9 thousand dollars " by such and such. If you want to retrive this money, give me your address?? " I will send it to you"

ofcource I started to ask questions and was being very direct with him, he got scared and hang up the phone. When I call back, I get a busy tone.

My advise to parents is to let your kids know ............ be aware of phone calls like this, truly !! has anyone had any one encounter something like this ever? This scared me.

• Like 1

There are phones for kids that only allow calls to parents or 911. I think too many kids have smart phones. I didn't get my first phone until almost 17 and it was a go phone with limited minutes.

• Like 4

In all honesty I wouldn't give my daughters a phone until maybe 14, but I'm leaning towards 16. Why do they need a phone? I got my first phone at 17 because my parents refused to buy me one, I had to get a job to buy the damn thing, lol.

I would be questioning my daughter if I was you, not saying she's being doing anything wrong, but where did this creepy guy get her number. Make sure she's not making obvious kid mistakes, like posting her number on social media or giving it out to friends of friends who she doesn't know to well.

• Like 2
  • Author

I agree to limited phone access... I gave my daughter No internet phone, no touch screen. Just "A" phone used for emergancey text/call.

There is too much apps out now that kids can get on, most are strangers hundreds to thousands friends on fb, kiks, IG etc

Edited by EverLastluv

Consider this an opportunity to talk of the responsibility in phone receiving. First even as an adult if its an unknown number, simply don't answer. Secondly Call blocking is available. Third- Get on the do not call list for marketing.

My Grandson is ten and has a phone. He is fully aware of what calls to take and not take. His father makes sure to check it each day for incoming calls. There is no voice mail and he puts it on call forwarding if the person attempts to call again. He is Pro Active in being PRO tective.

good post to get the warning out, thanks for posting!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I suppose you could start with this equation: Kid is old enough for a phone = kid old enough to deal with scammers.