3 month colic son only likes swing

Johnsmith1003

Johnsmith1003

My 3 month old son seems to be suffering from colic. It's frustrating to not even now what the hell that is, from anyone. He'll cry like clockwork, from the hours between 5-8 pm seemingly every day. Nothing soothes him EXCEPT his swing which I set on an intense level then he's content. Why does a swing help him? Is it his stomach being massaged or something? We've exhausted literally every other method.

Are you sure it's colic ? not many babies actually have colic.. normally what used to be diagnosed as colic is now diagnosed as infant reflux.

My son had infant reflux and it's totally treatable... instantly..

Maalox while feeding and a script of an inhibitor

His little valve was not mature enough and it would leak the acid into his esophagus..

He had it for about 3 months and let me tell you before his diagnoses he was miserable.

Talk to your PED...

• Like 2

Totally agree...my daughter was like a new baby when we got her on a reflux medicine that worked we had to try a few. But it's definitely something to talk to your pediatrician about

whichwayisup
My 3 month old son seems to be suffering from colic. It's frustrating to not even now what the hell that is, from anyone. He'll cry like clockwork, from the hours between 5-8 pm seemingly every day. Nothing soothes him EXCEPT his swing which I set on an intense level then he's content. Why does a swing help him? Is it his stomach being massaged or something? We've exhausted literally every other method.

Hey, at least in the swing it makes him calmer and not cry - Don't question it, just go with the flow!

Because baby's not laying flat after a feed, my doctor told me swings and slings help. My daughter had mild colic, even tho they were breast fed. Have you tried different brands of bottles, baby massage helps and wind that baby until you hear a burp, even if it takes 40 mins, it will save you wanting to climb the walls.

Having said that, I agree with others go to your doctor, because colic normally disappears by month 3.

Definitely check with Peds. Same thing with my first and turned out no reflux or colic. Just a stage for him. If the swing is a vice that helps use it. If not to big for a bouncy seat those are helpful too. Good luck. BTW..

Mea :-)

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
fixed code
Bittersweetie

Our son didn't have any colic or reflux issues but for a while would get very worked up around that same time of day. I read that is like "a witching hour" for newborns. He eventually got past it.

However, he would only sleep in his swing. We used it so much we had to replace the motor. For a while we really stressed on whether we were using it too much, would he ever get out of it, etc. Finally someone said to me, he's not going to be sleeping in the swing when when he's 5! So we let it go. We transitioned him from the swing to a rock and play, then one day he was like, I want to sleep flat. Now he sleeps in his crib (or a pack and play) just fine.

Like PPs mentioned, you may want to talk to your doctor because medication can help with reflux if that is the issue.

Congrats on your baby!

My first son had colic pretty bad for the first six months. We tried everything to help him: musical swing, car rides, stroller rides, exercising his legs to help relieve the pressure, gas X drops for infants, massages, warm blanket from the dryer placed against his stomach/abdomen, swaddling him, rocking him, and multiple other soothing techniques. We later found out, after experiencing the same thing again after the next birth, that it was the water that we had, which had a very high mineral content, which was causing the colic pains. It was being transmitted through breast milk from the water I was drinking, and also through the tap water being mixed with dry formula that my husband fed to the babies. After we switched to distilled water, both with what I drank and what my husband mixed with the formula, the colic was gone. Sometimes diet of the mother can also make colic worse, so your wife needs to be careful what she eats and drinks if she is breast feeding.

Our son didn't have any colic or reflux issues but for a while would get very worked up around that same time of day. I read that is like "a witching hour" for newborns. He eventually got past it.

This was the case for one of ours! Between about 7-8 the ONLY thing he wanted was for me to hold him and jog up and down the stairs! .....be thankful yours wants the swing!! :D

But seriously, if your worried, get it checked - better to be safe!!

Colic is a real diagnosis, other term reflux is the same thing.

My first son had it til he was 8 months. His two favorite things to smooth him was: a swing , and watching the fish in our aquarium. I think the water and humming quilled his nerves. My ped told me that my nervousness was also being sensed by my son ( first time mom anxiety). So i would drink some soothing tea and it helped to calm us both!

Now as a grandma i am more open to how to dissipate a child who is discomforted. The doctors do have gentle meds to help the child.

I hope you garner some useful tips that were shared. You deserve some gentle moments during the early months.

thinkingofhim

My daughter wanted to be jiggled or bounced nonstop between about 5-8 PM... it does seem to be a "witching hour". I don't think you need to worry, I know every day seems like an eternity now but you'll blink once and he'll be long past needing the swing. :)

Is he getting enough naps through the day? My daughter was a nut until we got her napping regularly. Naps make a big difference!

scorpio1978

They say the 5 S's thing works: swaddle, swing, shushing, etc., but if a swing works well, you're lucky. I know it may not seem like that, but imagine how tired your arms would be having to bounce a baby non-stop, or like Shepp said, jog up stairs.

• Like 1