Minor Incident in the Lunchroom

mercuryshadow

mercuryshadow

After school yesterday, my 9 year old son was upset about something that happened at lunch time, and what he expressed to me was this:

"I bought a snack to eat after I finished my lunch, and this mean lunch lady came over with the garbage can and made me throw it away before I had a chance to eat it."

He seemed very upset, and I asked him to reiterate what had happened, asked if he'd been fooling around, etc, and he maintains his innocence. I do know that all children embellish on events, especially when they may in fact play into a situation more than they want to let on. However, in this instance, I believe him. I believe it was possible that he'd bought the snack very close to the end of the lunch period, but I wonder why they'd sell children snacks if they did not have adequate time to consume them? Also, why was he made to throw it away, rather than store it in his lunchbox for later?

This particular lunch lady also works at the after school program at my son's school, and I wondered if it would seem too petty to question what had happened. In all honesty, if things did play out the way my son described, I'd be angry. Thoughts on handling this? Or should I let it go?

I'd be furious. How dare she waste your money and peferctly good food. Not to mention upsetting your child. Grrrr!!

It's a snack. Not the end of the world. I'd buy your kid an ice cream and teach him not to sweat the small stuff in life.

• Like 2
Lernaean_Hydra
It's a snack. Not the end of the world. I'd buy your kid an ice cream and teach him not to sweat the small stuff in life.

I would agree, but I've come across more school employees who were mean, nasty or outright physically abusive to children than I'd like to. This is not so much an issue of sweating the small stuff as it is something to be at least a little concerned about. How do you know a parent's financial situation? Who confiscates unopened food items and demands they be thrown away? And without an explanation, no less.

• Like 2
  • Author
mercuryshadow

That's why I was on the fence about it, but upon further consideration, I thought that maybe it was something that the cafeteria should be aware of. There may be some miscommunication between those doing the selling of food, and those looking after the kids. Also, it's incredibly wasteful... And according to my son, the lady was not nice about it, at all.

nittygritty

First you should read the student policy handbook (if there is one) regarding buying snacks at school and/or cafeteria rules. If there is a school policy that does not allow students to buy snacks or eat junk food during the lunch period then the school needs to ensure that students are not allowed access to buy snacks or junk food during lunch periods, if the snacks or junk food is being sold by the school. Rather than just taking students money and then throwing away the food.

You need to find out the school's reason for throwing away the food by calling the school principal or vice principal and making a complaint against the school cafeteria employee that behaved like a "bully" towards your son. Be sure and fully inform yourself of "the rules" before making that call. ;)

• Like 1
That's why I was on the fence about it, but upon further consideration, I thought that maybe it was something that the cafeteria should be aware of. There may be some miscommunication between those doing the selling of food, and those looking after the kids. Also, it's incredibly wasteful... And according to my son, the lady was not nice about it, at all.

Eh, if it becomes a pattern of behaviour, perhaps look into it. But ONE thrown away snack by ONE "mean" lady, in the grand scheme of things is not a big deal. Mistakes get made. Even lunch ladies can have bad days and be a little cranky here and there. And let's face it...if this is the worst thing that ever happens to your son in his life, he is living a charmed existence.

I think throwing a big fit about this will do nothing but teach your son to OVERreacte to every minor disappointment, probably earn you some eye rolls from the school, and put the lunch lady (who may have just legitimately having an off day) on edge around your son.

Best to let it go.

However, if this was something that started happening regularly, I'd check into it. Maybe casually ask your son every now and again if he's had any snacks thrown away or what kind of mood the lunch lady has been in lately.

• Like 1
  • Author
mercuryshadow

In and of itself, I wanted to let this go, but I failed to mention that my son had mentioned a similar incident going back a couple of months. There is no student handbook or mention on the website about any policy regarding this, but I learned from another parent a little while ago that there are signs up in the cafeteria stating that children must not leave the lunchroom with opened snacks, unless they are secured in their lunch box. I'll have to inform my son of this... I'm not surprised that he overlooked these posted signs.

nittygritty

When my son was in the first grade a cafeteria employee sent him to the principals office and a note was sent with him stating that he was not going to be allowed to have recess for 3 days because he did not eat all of his food. I looked in the student policy handbook and to my surprise the cafeteria rules stated "Students are not allowed to waste food". Of course, I fought for my kid to prevent that from happening and even managed to get that unhealthy, ridiculous cafeteria rule changed.

My point is that parents do need to be involved in their kid's school and education. You are your kids only advocate and the only way to find out the school's reason for their employee making your son throw away his snack at lunch time is by calling the school principal or vice principal so they can find out, get to the bottom of it and let you know "why". It's doubtful that the school will admit to you any wrongdoing on their part but at least you will have more information about it and are also making them aware. Unfortunately, you may also find out that your son had thrown the snack at the lunch lady or someone else before she threw it in the trash or some other wrongdoing on his part that he failed to tell you, so be real nice if you call. ;):laugh:

Edited by nittygritty
  • Like 1
nittygritty
In and of itself, I wanted to let this go, but I failed to mention that my son had mentioned a similar incident going back a couple of months. There is no student handbook or mention on the website about any policy regarding this, but I learned from another parent a little while ago that there are signs up in the cafeteria stating that children must not leave the lunchroom with opened snacks, unless they are secured in their lunch box. I'll have to inform my son of this... I'm not surprised that he overlooked these posted signs.

That makes more sense. It sounds like a preventative "critter control" foodservice health code policy so as not to attract mice, roaches, ants, etc. As well as not wanting food spills or smears all over the school. Mystery problem solved. No need to call the school. :)

• Like 1

I agree!

Sometimes in life you need to stand up and be counted but you also need to know when to just roll with the punches!