"Bad Dads"

Silly_Girl

Equality is massively important to me, in all aspects of life. Years ago I used to be fairly active in campaigning for dads rights. It's appalling how easy it can be for a woman who hates their ex to run the show and pretty much destroy the bond between dad and child.

I used to be furious with the bad dad stereotype knowing full well some guys were living to see their kids, spending every last penny and ounce of energy fighting and fighting to get their children back.

I never imagined my ex-husband would be an ambivalent dad. Or lazy and neglectful. He's mean to our son. My loves him but has to deal with the crap that comes with it all. In the last few weeks it seems two close friends and two close colleagues have had increased problems with their exes and the kids are caught up in it, being let down, being upset. 2 of them cancelling family time several times to work because they're skint, yet both, coincidentally, having had 2 holidays with new girlfriend/family this year.

I get FURIOUS at the way these kids are treated. Personally I've got the hump because for the second time this year I asked my ex to be responsible for our son for a night (not at his house, son isn't ALLOWED in *his* house) and it's too much trouble, he can't do it, and has been a prat about the whole thing. So I do 360+ nights of being a parent to the child we BOTH chose to bring in to the world, and two is too many for that selfish b'stard!

I've felt so low about this subject. The need for decent parenting just can't be overstated and yet still some guys swan around spraying their seed everywhere (5 by 2, 3 by 3, etc) and not paying for the kids is bad enough but not to foster a relationship with them makes me sick.

Anyone have any insight as to how this happens? How parents can find it in them to drop their kids like a toy when it suits them? :( :(

I can't ever imagine being able to walk away from my children. I don't know what kind of void a soul would require to be able to do that.

• Like 1
There are some men who are so devoted to their children and then you have those who aren't. My ex is one that isn't. He walked away from our DD when she was 6. Said he'd never be a part of her life again, and hasn't been. Went as far to ask me to agree to termination of his parental rights. I didn't.

They had a relationship and she adored him and he walked away from her because it ceased to be convenient for him. I will never understand how one can do that.

That is so sad. :(

I can't ever imagine being able to walk away from my children. I don't know what kind of void a soul would require to be able to do that.

Totally agree...

Part of the responsibility of being a parent is, your kids come first and you (general you) sacrifice certain things. It just IS. Even if it sucks and at times you want to put yourself first, or be more selfish, you can't because kids needs comes first.

It's sad that so many parents can't do this, not just dad's but mom's too.