How early can puberty start?

WorriedMom

What is the normal age for a little girl to start growing pubes down there? How about boobs?

My lil' girl is 8 and already has bubes and little pecks....soon I'll have to get her a little bra b/c they are noticable under her shirts.

I'm worried is this normal? She is tall for her age but nothing abnormal.

Talk to the pediatrician. Kids are experiencing puberty earlier and earlier these days but 8 might be a bit young. Still, your doc is really the person to speak to about this; s/he will be up on the latest information about this stuff.

i hope you don't mind me asking but what race are you? i think some stats show that black girls often start the transformation earlier than other races.

i think it's a good idea to check with the doc, just in case. also by all means make sure she's comfortable with herself - don't show your concern, and make sure she dresses in a way that doesn't accentuate the changes so that other kids don't react to them.

that's my 2c,

-yes

Unfortunately, this is normal, although not beneficial. Girls are going through puberty earlier and earlier. Several culprits are suspected, the two most common being certain plastics (foudn in baby bottles, etc.) that mimic estrogens, and the vast quantities of hormones present in the meat and milk supply (cattle farmers now routinely inject their meat and dairy cows with additional hormones, estrogen in particular, to make them more profitable). Being overweight is thought to be another contributing factor, although this is largely because it is thought that overweight girls eat more hormone-laden meat. The concern, beyond the obvious of having to deal with growing up too fast, is that girls who go through puberty earlier are at greater risk for breast cancern, since they will have an earlier and longer exposure to estrogens. Naturally, the plastics and cattlie industries both assert that their products are not to blame.

By the way, boys are also entering puberty earlier.

Here are some links you may find interesting

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2001-08-07-early-puberty.htm

http://www.organicconsumers.org/Toxic/hormoncancer.cfm

http://dir.salon.com/mwt/feature/2001/01/19/estrogens/index.html

http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0073031216/student_view0/exercise48/early_puberty.html

http://www.womenshealthmatters.ca/facts/quick_show_d.cfm?number=316

http://www.kaiserpermanente.org/locations/northwest/newsroom/research/nw011503.html

My daugher and I are latina and no she is not overweight at all, her dad was 6'2 so she is tall and slender.

Doc. says it's normal.

She is not aware of any of this, she is an old fashion 8yrs, meaning unlike todays 8yrs old she doesn't worry about her looks and body she is more into toys and kid stuff.

I am very over protective and I always make sure that she dresses in a way that's not going to catch to sick perv's attention. I was raised to be very protective w/ my body and I teach her the same.

I appreciate everyones feedback so far.

cdn : I've heard about these things before, very interesting and it does make sense.

i wonder if it happens earlier for latinas, too. i'm not sure about this, - just the idea that there's some correlation between race and when puberty starts.

it's great that she's not bothered by it - i think all's well if the doc says it's fine AND she's OK with it!

plz don't be OVERprotective though, i'm a girl and i know it does more harm than good to be overprotected.

best of luck,

-yes

Nah, I think I'll still w/ my guns on showing her to have self respect and be protective of her body. I'm only over protective when it comes to these types of things.

Sorry babe but latinas are just like any other woman....we come in all colors and sizes. Thin, fat, tall short, blonde, brunnette, blue eyed and so on.....we are a very diverse race.

thanks for the words of advice

WorriedMom,

I KNOW how you feel. My 14 year old developed early. NOW, she has a 38 D bra size. I wish she was still 8 and I could be as protective as I would like to be. At her age now though....I've learned to deal with the fact she has the cleavage of a Goddess. To make it worse, I live in a town full of sailors. GOOD GRIEF!

Her best friend is latina and is a close runner up to the breast size. I guess some of us are just blessed with healthy girls. Maybe we drank too much milk when we were pregnant!! LOL!

My concern is about the worried mom's statement" I'm very overprotective". You just need to take that overprotectiveness out of your way and your daughter will be fine. All that you need to do is to relax and let the girl grow. She is just up to an early start. What's wrong of being ahead?

Hi,

I totally understand your concern. with children becoming more and more sexually aware earlier i must just say you are doing an excellent job of being a parent and should count yourself lucky she isnt one of those prissy little sluts who are flaunting themselves for the attention of the opposite sex at like 9 years old. i think this behaviour is disgusting:mad: and it is good to see someone who is bringing up their child to know the right priorities, i.e self respect over looking good for the rest of the world. well done!! :)

sorry i cant put any input on the actual question though! just wanted to say that... :rolleyes:

I totally agree Charlie! I think these young girls emulate all the trash and sluttiness they see on television...and it's sickening parents won't stand up and say NO! I'm a single Mom and am not even close to being a prude.....but the little girls I see walking around on the streets dressed like hookers....make me nauseated!

What's wrong of being ahead?

Lots.

For starters, being ahead physically doesn't put you ahead emotionally. It's a rare 8 year-old who can handle becoming a woman physically. Several studies have shown that girls who enter puberty earlier also are more likely to be promiscuous and engage in riskier sexual behavior. This mom is right to be protective.

Early puberty also puts girls at a greater risk for breast cancer.

Don't hesitate to be overprotective at this age. Although your daugher is only 8, that's not going to matter to the 12, 13, 14-year old boys that she'll be around at school. The most important thing (at least I think it's most important from a dad's perspective) is to do everything that you can to assure that your daughter understands the changes that are taking place and that she is comfortable with who she is and what is happeing to her body- just as you would do if she was 13 or 14 and beginning to experience these changes to her body.

Few in her peer group are going thru the same thing at this time so she could begin to wonder "what's wrong with me," just as WorriedMom was expressing in her post. Understand that it will be difficult for her to discuss this with her friends and they will not be able to relate. Does she have an older sister or cousin with whom she can confide as well?

• 3 weeks later...

ok i am 12 and am very large for my age and i've had my period since i was nine. My doctor and multiple people say it's just how the body works. It's completely normal. According to my doctors.

• 1 month later...
GiveAndTake

My niece developed early as your daughter has. She was 9 when she began her monthly cycle.

It was surprising because she seemed very immature to all of us. She's 10 now and still very immature.

The only thing I can think of is, she's a bit overweight and inactive (not very althetic).

• 3 weeks later...
ramble on rose

This is an interesting topic. I am a single mom of two daughters, and my older daughter, who is 9, is the complete physical opposite of me. I began menstruating at 13, and was tall and skinny with no shape whatsoever!! I developed a shape only after having my children.

My 9 year old daughter is displaying signs of puberty and I'm petrified!! I have no idea how to deal with this other than to reassure her it's normal and be available to communicate at all times. I know that even though I was a late bloomer, I looked older than I was and the sick bastards started coming out of the woodwork at an early age. My #1 priority in life is to protect my daughters against this type of attention. I want to keep my girls innocent but also aware of what's going on with their bodies. My 9 year old is still very much a little girl and I dress her appropriately. Whatever the reasons are that girls are developing much earlier now - you've got to actively take steps to keep them safe. I am prepared for battle with the fierceness of a mother lion. :cool:

• 6 months later...
onehotmamafromMI

you really need to read the article linked to SaferOC I read it and maybe it will help you a little. I started my cycle at 11 where as my sister started at 10 Both of us around the time of our b-days. By the way afer you read the article.. our parents were divorced but not remarried, (either of them) unitl we were much older. But we did live with our grandparents for 8 years. Hope all is well with you and your daughter. Mine is 7 and now asking about Sex. Good luck.

Drawing from what my mother has said to me, my younger sister started into puberty when she was nine years old. I started at about age ten, and began shaving at the age of twelve. Children are growing up earlier, and I can understand how disconcerting that can be. If you have any concerns, you may want to talk to your child's doctor.

Sometimes people start early. There is at least one instance where a five year-old girl gave birth to a healthy baby boy. A google search for five year old mother will fetch some interesting results, if you doubt in any way my claims that this could happen. For persons who have access to more reliable sources of information, such as a college database, it is possible to find many more details on this topic.

NLuvingMemoryRLJ&DJL

[color=indigo] Does your daughter drink alot of milk because recent studies have shown that the hormones in milk are causing children as young as five to become fully developed and that some of them are even going through menopause. the normail age is between eleven and 13 to start your period but to hit puberty i know some one who started at seven and shes fine. I personaly was a late bllomer but just beware of the hormones in beef and milk and stuff like that, Packed with hormones. Hope that helps! :):eek: [/color]