Am I overzealous about my son?

Trinity

I have a 13 month old son that I adore. I have him enrolled in a daycare that at the time, was all I could afford but wasn't up to the standard of care I would have preferred. Since he has been there he has plateau'd or even in my opinion, slowed down educationally. His father and I both agree that he needs to go to a better daycare. Anyway, I bring it up to some of the other moms here at work and they laughed at me. They thought I was being silly for expecting a center to have a curriculum for a 13 month old. I really don't think I'm out of line for wanting my son to have educational opportunities rather than just being put on the floor to crawl around.

Am I really being ridiculous? :confused:

Yes, curriculum is overzealous for a 13 month old. More to the point, it's senseless. At this age, a child's work is play. Not only are academics not needed for young children, they are counter-productive. If you need any evidence, look at the American school system, in which children are pressured to master skills at increasingly younger ages, only to end up less and less knowledgeable/educated. Young children learn through playing and exploring the world around them. This is essential for their development and cannot and should not be replaced with (or "supplemented" with) curriculum.

If you are really concerned about your son's environment, then stay home with him. Yes, this is a financial sacrifice but you need to weigh what will be more important in the long haul. Nothing can take the place of a parent's love and care.

I was a fairly intelligent young baby if I say so myself, and I remember that "curriculum" was counter-productive. Sure they'd attempt to teach me such things as *put the small block under the second-largest table, etc* but all I wanted to do was go outside and play. Kids at a young age like that just want to play and explore, observe everything that they come into contact with. I learned to read when I was less than 18 months old by examining license plates and having my parents sound them out for me. The more you can observe the better, I say.

If you're really gung-ho, you could get some of the videos made by a mom who thought the same way as you. Here's one such (no, I'm not in any way related - just saw it on Oprah)

http://www.babyeinstein.com/index_02.shtml

You can check Amazon.com for reviews and see if you think they're a good idea.

i think that it's totally fine to want more. completely understandable, i say browse around in your community and find one that you really like. I dont get why your coworkers laughed at you when you mentioned what you did?? a lot of daycare facilities are different, and a lot are better than others so it's obvious to me why'd you'd want to check out other ones. good luck! :)

• Author
Originally posted by guest

Yes, curriculum is overzealous for a 13 month old. More to the point, it's senseless. At this age, a child's work is play. Not only are academics not needed for young children, they are counter-productive. If you need any evidence, look at the American school system, in which children are pressured to master skills at increasingly younger ages, only to end up less and less knowledgeable/educated. Young children learn through playing and exploring the world around them. This is essential for their development and cannot and should not be replaced with (or "supplemented" with) curriculum.

If you are really concerned about your son's environment, then stay home with him. Yes, this is a financial sacrifice but you need to weigh what will be more important in the long haul. Nothing can take the place of a parent's love and care.

By curriculum I meant a schedule that changes throughout the day. While I agree that children learn through play I dont agree with leaving them on the floor with some toys and thinking that that is good enough. Unfortunately I am unable to be at home with my son, I am a single mother. Since I do work I expect that the daycare he goes to will read to him, change his playthings and his play environment regularly. I also expect that they will talk with him and work on basic words. I personally dont think Im expecting too much.