Should I sue hospital

My son is 3 years old in november he had his appendix removed he was a perfectly healthy child prior to this. His appendix burst and gave him paritinitus after comming home he had a seizure and we wen't back to hospital. He had 7 seizures in the hospital and then had a stroke! We were in ICU for 8 week's and they told me to make funeral arangements I was horified my sweet little boy was dying FORTUNATLY he's a little fighter and he made a complete turn around he survived with brain damage. The doctors saved his life BUT the appendictimy was sloppy!!! and probably paritinitus could have been avoided.

My son is now at the level of a 6 month child he has lost his speech, has a seizure disorder and severe emotional problems because he doesn't understand what happened to him or why he can't talk.

I am so happy he's alive and grateful he's here but he's also disabled and probably will be for the next several years. and I am a single mother this has ripped me apart as well I could really use the money but wasn't brought up to sue escpecially when they saved him! Should I file suit? Am I greedy or selfish for

thinking so?

I would only sue to cover medical bills

I'm not a medical expert, so I can't tell you if the doctor screwed up or not. Sometimes things just happen.

HokeyReligions

I want to post a reply to you, but I don't know what to say. I'm horrified for what happened to you both and I wish so much that I could make it better. I cried when I read your post.

I don't know. Part of me is so angry that it happened that I want someone to pay for what was done, but part of me thinks - we're all human, it wasn't an intentional assault and I would dread the energy and strength it would take to file and follow-through with a lawsuit. But then again, a single mom needs all the financial help she can so that she doesn't have to carry that burden/worry on her shoulders with everything else she has going on now.

Have you talked to an attorney? What about a minister and family members? I guess I would want to talk to as many people as possible and really weigh what you stand to gain by filing a lawsuit, by what you have to lose.

I'm so sorry for your situation. What is your son's prognosis?

It's horrible what happened to your son, but think of it this way - If there were no doctors, he would have without a doubt died. I really hate people who sue hospitals because of stuff like this. I can understand if it was gross negligence or incometence on behalf of the doctor, but mistakes happen. That's a risk you have to take with modern medicine. Things can't always go right 100% of the time. You're lucky there even are people who are dedicated enough to become doctors and try to save people's lives, they shouldn't have to worry about some idiot suing them all the time. We've become a lawsuit happy society, and it makes me sick.

A good medical malpractice attorney can tell you whether or not you have a case. I seriously doubt us folks at loveshack have that kind of knowledge.

The good thing about plaintiff's medmal firms is that you generally don't pay any attorney's fees unless you win, in which case they take about 1/3. So, it's no skin off your back to get together with an attorney and discuss the situation.

I will warn you, though, don't expect a quick process. Some of these cases can drag on for years unless they settle.

Just A Girl2

What I'd want to know is....was your son in hospital at the time that his appendix ruptured? Or was it a scenario like you could tell he was having abdominal pain, you took him to the doctor/EMERG, they checked him over, didn't pick up on it being appendicitis and they sent him home......only for his appendix to rupture.

It can be more difficult to assess someone for signs of a ruptured appendix if they're a child.....they aren't as able to communicate what they're feeling, but still no excuse.

When your son was found to have appendicitis, was his diagnosis for same based on an ultrasound of his appendix/other abdominal organs? Was bloodwork done? Blood cultures?

As you already know, a ruptured appendix can be very life threatening...and what happened to your son, "peritonitis" can definitely occur......where the infection to the appendix spreads into the abdominal cavity; very serious. Once a ruptured appendix is realized (which can be done through a combo of interpreting ultrasound, bloodwork (white blood cell count, differential, etc), physical assessment of the patient and knowing what 'classic symptoms' to look for...well then it's imperative that the patient is stabilized, starting on major IV antibiotics and taken into surgery ASAP, to remove the ruptured appendix and flush out the abdominal cavity. Although it would likely be difficult to determine, I would wonder how long a period of time passed before your son had obvious indicators of a ruptured appendix and the time they "clued in" and did something about it.

I think you have every single right in the world to pursue this legally....if nothing else, to have an investigation into your son's care take place......to see what went wrong and how things were missed, if things WERE in fact missed.

I would start out by finding yourself a good medical malpractice attorney......doing so doesn't mean you MUST proceed with a lawsuit...but at least you can get your story out there and find out your rights and how an investigation can be initiated..because this surely should be investigated.

I am so deeply sorry for what your dear little boy, and you, have had to go through. I wish there was something to say to take away your hurt and frustration, and the confusion and deficits for him.

Please keep us updated on how you proceed and how things go.

JAG2

I'm sorry to jack your thread here, but where did you get the name stone heather from? A friend used to live on Stone Heather court, and I always thought it would make a great band name.

First album : Statue of a woman.

Second album : Some hippie woman getting high.

Third album : Peasants throwing stones at a woman.

I'm so sorry to hear of your son. It does sound like he's a fighter tho, and if he fought off the seizures, I'm sure he can fight his way thru the brain damage. Good luck and my thoughts are with you.

• Author

I spoke to a couple attorneys and they all want to take my case due to the fact that we sat in the E.R. for 8 hours before my son was seen ( while his appendix was rupturing.) So it would be more of the long wait made this happen. I made a complaint back in November about this and now the Hospital changed their policy that a child under the age of 12 can not wait longer thatn 3 hours. Thanks for everybodys advice, I appreicate it

By the way I got my name stoneheather because my name is Heather Stone.