Kids Taking Baths Togehter??? What Age Is Too Old??

ih8billg8ts

ih8billg8ts

First I want to say hello, I am new to the board and I am so glad that I found it! I am 35 years old married two kids ages 4 and 6 years of age. I am a military wife and have a mother-in-law that I bump heads with all the time.

My question for you is:

Do you feel that it is too old for a girl age 4 yrs and a boy age 6 yrs to take a bath together?

My husband and I went on vacation for the first time in seven years and his mother ended up coming and staying with the kids. I found out last night that his mother would give them a bath together. To me they are too old and I have not let them take a bath or shower together in over 2 years. Do you feel that I am over reacting here? Maybe I am just wigging out with the times of today.

I truly appreciate your honest thoughts and time.

Take Care and God Bless,

Angie

No, I would not think that is too old. They are brother and sister. You can judge how old is too old when your boy starts to become modest and embarrassed about being naked in front of others.

But do as you wish in your own home. However, I woudn't make an issue of it with your MIL unless you want to create resentment. It just seems petty to me. It won't hurt them to do something different at Grandma's house every once in a while. If he were ten it would be a different story. But six? That is such an innocent age still.

My suggestion if you absolutely cannot handle them bathing together at MIL's is to teach him to shower and tell your MIL that he showers all the time now and doesn't take baths anymore.

First I want to say hello, I am new to the board and I am so glad that I found it! I am 35 years old married two kids ages 4 and 6 years of age. I am a military wife and have a mother-in-law that I bump heads with all the time.

My question for you is:

Do you feel that it is too old for a girl age 4 yrs and a boy age 6 yrs to take a bath together?

My husband and I went on vacation for the first time in seven years and his mother ended up coming and staying with the kids. I found out last night that his mother would give them a bath together. To me they are too old and I have not let them take a bath or shower together in over 2 years. Do you feel that I am over reacting here? Maybe I am just wigging out with the times of today.

I truly appreciate your honest thoughts and time.

Take Care and God Bless,

Angie

I think those ages are still fine. I have three children and up until just this year, my oldest boy enjoyed taking a bath with his brother and sister. Just recently he has decided that he likes to shower alone. My 5 year old daughter will sometimes shower alone, however most times she likes to take a bubble bath with her 3 year old brother.

AP:)

I agree with the last two posters. While I have not bathed a girl and boy together (since I have boys), I can say that the two younger boys bathed with their girl cousins when we took care of them in the past. They were all around 4 to 6.

I have noticed that around eight years, boys begin to realize the difference.

Since we have had the boys bathe themselves after nine or ten (with some inspection for a few months), I think six or seven would be the limit for any child to be bathing with other children of any sex.

it's usually about age seven that little kids suddenly become aware of a need for "privacy" when bathing, because they start getting modest. So I wouldn't worry about them bathing together because eventually they outgrow the desire to do so.

something James said ("we have had the boys bathe themselves after nine or ten") made me laugh: Sometimes (not often thank goodness) you run into older kids who absolutely, positively hate bathing, and who smell like a total funk-fest before you can coerce them into a shower! So at this point, encourage bathing in general! :p

it's usually about age seven that little kids suddenly become aware of a need for "privacy" when bathing, because they start getting modest. So I wouldn't worry about them bathing together because eventually they outgrow the desire to do so.

That is exactly what happened at our house. Each one reached about that age and wanted to be alone in the tub. We tried showers, but they did not wash themselves well. Now as they reach ten and older, then a shower is okay.

something James said ("we have had the boys bathe themselves after nine or ten") made me laugh: Sometimes (not often thank goodness) you run into older kids who absolutely, positively hate bathing, and who smell like a total funk-fest before you can coerce them into a shower! So at this point, encourage bathing in general! :p

Correct. That is why the bath is still better. Then at least they soak while in the tub. The worst part is making sure the hair is done well. :rolleyes: