Pulling baby teeth? Dental / Orthadontal question

My daughter's adult incisors are coming in from the back, and pushing her baby teeth forward. Her baby teeth have been loose for a long time but don't seem like they wanna come out. My fiancee is concerned that they may prevent her adult teeth from coming in properly, but our attempts to pull them out don't seem like they'll work without a lot more effort. They will eventually come out on their own right? Do I need to pull them in order for her adult teeth to come in properly? Anyone know? I don't wanna have to get her braces later because I didn't handle this right.

I don't know the answer, but I bet a call to her dentist would help. Or even a visit - when is her next check up scheduled?

My daughter's adult incisors are coming in from the back, and pushing her baby teeth forward. Her baby teeth have been loose for a long time but don't seem like they wanna come out. My fiancee is concerned that they may prevent her adult teeth from coming in properly, but our attempts to pull them out don't seem like they'll work without a lot more effort. They will eventually come out on their own right? Do I need to pull them in order for her adult teeth to come in properly? Anyone know? I don't wanna have to get her braces later because I didn't handle this right.

If you cannot afford a dentist, call your local health department with this question. I truly don't think you should be dealing with something like this with limited knowledge of teeth and dentistry. Pulling teeth isn't for amateurs, even if they're baby teeth.

You might even call a dentists office at random. Sometimes, you'll find an old fashioned dentist who isn't money hungry who will answer you question over the telephone. Please get expert help with this.

Take her to the dentist. I'm surprised they haven't said anything already if you are taking her to regular checkups.

Don't pull them yourselves, that will be horribly painful for her if they are not ready, and could leave her susceptible to infection. The dentist will suggest what to do, perhaps she will need to have them removed by an oral surgeon.

As a child, I had to have 4 of my baby teeth pulled, along with 4 adult teeth, because there wasn't enough space in my mouth. Afterwards I needed stitches, had to take antibiotics, and follow through with a whole list of things.

amaysngrace

She can have a space maintainer fitted for her mouth if the teeth that need to come out aren't due to come out anytime soon.

This way when her permanents come in there will be the proper space for them to do so. A space maintainer keeps her other teeth from shifting into the space. This is mostly for molars though. Not front teeth and not front loose teeth especially.

Do like norajane says and bring her to a dentist, preferably a pediatric dentist.

• Author

No money for a dentist :(

Once I get married I might be able to get her covered by my fiancee's insurance, but it's three months till the wedding and I'm sure it will take at least another month for the paperwork to go through.

...Dammit :(

Edited by Obama08
No money for a dentist :(

Once I get married I might be able to get her covered by my fiancee's insurance, but it's three months till the wedding and I'm sure it will take at least another month for the paperwork to go through.

...Dammit :(

I have no idea if you qualify, but http://www.hss.state.ak.us/dhcs/DenaliKidCare/general_info.htm may help?

• Author
I have no idea if you qualify, but http://www.hss.state.ak.us/dhcs/DenaliKidCare/general_info.htm may help?

Thanks :) She's had kidcare before, but I was under the impression it didn't cover dental. I'll look into it right away.

Thanks again :)

[edit] Damn. Looks like it covers checkups, cleanings and fillings but that's it :(

Edited by Obama08
whichwayisup

Borrow money from family if you have to. Or just lay low for a month and be careful how you spend your money. Eat in, instead of going out. Clip coupons for savings when grocery shopping.

How many adult teeth are coming through?

Thanks :) She's had kidcare before, but I was under the impression it didn't cover dental. I'll look into it right away.

Thanks again :)

[edit] Damn. Looks like it covers checkups, cleanings and fillings but that's it :(

It's still worth going and seeing the dentist. In general, dental health is pretty important.

They'll give you their opinion on her baby teeth, and you could come to realize that you may be worried about nothing. Also, if something needs done, they'll tell you how soon something needs to be done - maybe it can wait 4-6 months until she can possibly be added to fiance's insurance.

I'm not sure about this type of procedure, really, but some with some procedures medical insurance kicks in and covers it.

Plus, you can be honest with them about not having the money for expensive procedures. Many will try to do everything they can to get it covered by insurance. I know dentists who "secretly" charge lower rates to people without dental insurance. And there's often financing options.

• Author

I happen to work under a dentist's office. I've heard he's not taking any more patients right now, but I think I'll still go up and ask if I can chat with him tomorrow. Maybe I'll take some pictures of her teeth...

I had to have braces in high school. I hated them at the time, but later, once I got a sense of how horribly expensive they were, I made a point of calling my parents up and thanking them, and apologizing for all the bitching I did. I'm really glad I have nice teeth...

Anyone else had braces? Remember trying to eat a butterfinger? Remember when they came off the first time? Such a weird feeling...

Edited by Obama08

Don't pull the teeth out yourself.

Sometimes adult teeth come through in a slightly different position than they are supposed to, hence them being behind the baby teeth. There is still a chance that the baby teeth will come out on their own- from what you are saying I imagine your daughter is somewhere between the age of 5-7?

The dentist is unlikely to do anything just yet, but if the teeth are still there in 6 months to a year they might consider taking them out to allow the full eruption of the adult teeth.

In this case, the best thing to do is keep them as clean as possible, and discourage your daughter from sucking her thumb or anything like that.

Its not an urgent problem right now, but I would recommend that you start a savings fund for the orthodontist, because it sounds like your daughter may have some crowding when all her adult teeth come through. (were her baby teeth perfectly straight and aligned? If so, this is a good indicator that there won't be enough space for the adult teeth to erupt in a straight position- also genetics play a big part so if you had braces there is a good chance your kids will too)

Orthodontic treatment isn't usually decided upon or started until all the baby teeth are lost (11/12/13years) so you have time on your side regarding this.

I would still advise seeing a dentist for regular checkups, kids should be going as soon as their first teeth come through ideally.