LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Familial > Family

gift ideas for housebound brother

Family Parents too demanding? Sibling driving you mad? Tell us!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By d0nnivain
  • 2 Post By CautiouslyOptimistic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th January 2018, 9:21 AM   #1
Established Member

gift ideas for housebound brother

He is in a wheel-chair. His birthday is coming up. I thought of a chess computer, but want a few ideas so that I get him something really good. Help! Thanks.
darkmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2018, 12:18 PM   #2
Established Member

Why is he physically housebound? (I'm not asking about his diagnosis just the reason he's stuck) If getting him in & out of the house is the difficult part & budget allows I would think the best gift would be to have ramps installed so he can come & go as he pleases.

I wouldn't get a computer limited to chess but would make sure he had a computer set up to interact with others.

Can you get him a home made "coupon" book of things you will do for / with him like take him to wheelchair basketball games or some other activity where he can be more free? How about a gift certificate to one of those places where wheelchair people can go horseback riding? I saw something else with special skydiving packages. Check out this page: Accessible Travel Info - Trip Ideas & Travel Advice - Wheelchair Traveling

On a more pedestrian scale how about a voice activated computer . . .Alexis or Siri?
JuneL likes this.
d0nnivain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2018, 12:56 PM   #3
Established Member

a hired for sex nurse
Old 6th January 2018, 7:42 PM   #4
Established Member

housekeeper, meal delivery, subscriptions to tv things he can't afford otherwise, Amazon Prime member ship, Gift certificates to places that ship. If he has a pet, pay for monthly delivery (Target subscriptions) of pet food for a year.
Old 6th January 2018, 7:48 PM   #5
Established Member

Amazon Prime membership.

ETA: Oops! Preraph said that already!
TunaCat and JuneL like this.
CautiouslyOptimistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2018, 12:32 AM   #6
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preraph View Post
housekeeper, meal delivery, subscriptions to tv things he can't afford otherwise, Amazon Prime member ship, Gift certificates to places that ship. If he has a pet, pay for monthly delivery (Target subscriptions) of pet food for a year.
Or prepared food for him. I"m sure there's a company who makes home cooked meals.

Is he interested in photography or painting?
whichwayisup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2018, 9:11 AM   #7
Established Member

When I was shut in for 9 weeks years ago with a serious illness, my brother gave me a selection of really calming music that helped take me away in my mind from the physical distress of the respiratory illness I was battling.
So I think anything music is for most helpful very good for taking ones mind away from any physical or mental pain, loneliness etc

Not sure why i thought of this but when I was a kid our neighbor had a telescope in his backyard and I remember how cool that was-- looking up into the night sky at all the stars moon etc
That might not be an option probably those are expensive but it's just an idea
rubyjuly is offline   Reply With Quote