granparents in other state not doing good.

Hello my grandparents moved about 8 hours away from me when they retired 25 years ago or so. I have not been working this summer because I have something wrong with my foot a chronic condition where I can only stand about two hous a day with out being in pain.

But that means I am not working full time so I do have some extra time on my hands and I have gone to my grandparents a couple times in the past year to help out.

Yesterday I called my grandma and she said she fell and broke her leg and is not going in a nursing home( i understand the nursing homes are bad where they live very bad) she want to ER is casted for 4 weeks non wieght baring.. My grandpa is 90 and my uncle lives there he is 64 but has some type of mental health issues he cannot deal with stress so when i go down there dealing with him is always a stressor but it seems like he is helping out with groceries and helping as much as he can but I can tell he is stressed.

SO here is the drama it turns out my grandma broke her leg one week ago and my mom who I have a strained relationship with and lives by me told her not to tell me she broker her leg because she does not think I should be going down there with all my problems like possible divorce, foot problems etc.... to help grandparents.

So I got mad at my mom for persuading my grandma not to ask for my help when I am whiling to go down and help and I told my mom to stay out of it and I can make my own decisions and now we are not talking.

How can my family make it through these times when grandparents are getting very old and health problems? I am willing to go down and help or should I wait if things get any worse like if it does not heal or another emergency?

very confused. I feel I am the only one in the family that can go down and help because I am not working. My parents health is also bad.

Edited by bct2017
spelling
whichwayisup

Go with your gut. If you want to go, GO! They are your grandparents and I'm sure they'd appreciate you visiting and giving them some help.

One thing to think about is since moving them into a retirement home isn't going to happen is it possible for them to hire someone to come in and help a few days a week? Registered RN or a PA?