My sister is something else....

carefreegirl

carefreegirl

Hi

Today I am leaving for Florida on vacation. (My DH and I)

My sister is coming to our house to watch our dog and cat. She willing offered so we accepted....I figured this would be cut and dry.

We are leaving in about 5 hrs. We've already packed just have some loose ties to take care of. Then we are off!

She (sister) wants me to go out of my way and pick up her card that she got our mother for Mothers Day so I can take it to our mom. Shes currently at work. Its out of my way and honestly....I'm on freaking vacation. I feel she should've dropped it off yesterday or get out of work early to give me the card.

She is now drilling me why I cant come to her work and pick it up. I told her I'm busy...she then proceeds to ask "doing?" I taking a crap woman leave me alone!....this is what I really want to text...Lol.

This is not the first time she has done something similar to this. She is 48 years old and she cant even grocery shop alone. She cant look up stuff off the internet etc. I just wonder how she made it this far in life?!

I know I'm venting! Any suggestions on how to tell NO to this woman politely would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Carefreegirl errrr not so carefree today

stillafool

Don't do it. Tell her to mail it to your Mom as she has already missed Mother's Day what difference do a few more days matter?

amaysngrace

I'd do it because it's little compared to watching your animals while you're away and karma is a thing.

• Like 4
I'd do it because it's little compared to watching your animals while you're away and karma is a thing.

If not karma, at least appreciation. Her request seems like little to ask from someone house/pet sitting for a week. I'd be inclined to fit it in...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1
whichwayisup

Your sister may have some issues but she is doing you a favour by looking after your house and pets. Sure it's a pain in the butt to go out of your way to pick the card up but she's your sister and it's just a nice thing to do for her, regardless of how irritated you are with her.

I'm not defending her for dropping this on you last minute, she obviously forgot otherwise the card would be at your place already but pick your battles. Is it worth pissing her off? What if "she says screw you, find someone else to look after your animals and stay at your house!"

I'm trying to understand why your sister wants you to take her card to your mom instead of giving the card to your mom herself. Best I can come up with is that your mom lives out of town and you will be visiting her on your vacation. If that's the case then just go get the card. Sure it's a nuisance to have to deal with this last minute but your sister probably can't leave work to bring it to you and she's doing you a favor by pet sitting.

Yeah, you're pretty much stuck here because you accepted a favor from her, so you kind of owe her one. Just get the card this time, yeah it's inconsiderate and out of your way, but maybe you can be content that it's going to make your mother happy. (Even though it's a week late, I guess?)

In the future when you need to tell her no to something, "No." is a complete sentence. No need to justify it or explain it. Or, "No, that doesn't work for me." "But why?" "It just doesn't work for me and I'm not going to do it. Anyway, how's work/life/hobby going?" Rinse and repeat. And probably don't accept any favors from her anymore because then you'll owe her and she might take advantage of that.

todreaminblue

if it were me i would do it but thats not what you want to hear.....how to say no is what you ask....so i watched this video on saying no on oen fo my fave channels on the internet.... and you do it in three parts so its a yes no yes....

you could say....i really appreciate what you are doing by baby sitting my pets for me i know you are going out of your way to do so.....i appreciate you i really do.....im sorry bu ti cant pick up the card for you i just feel a bit swamped organising things and a bit frazzled.....but when i come back i would really like us to get together and have some girl time together even organise a day we could go spend time with mum together...maybe take her out...what do you think? Would you like that....i think mum would.....a belated gift from the both of us.....let me know how you feel and we can do some brain storming.....i feel we have not spent much time together lately....( i say this becaus ei sense you distance yourself from your sister and judge her a bit mayeb its time you reconnect on a closer level...)

thats my suggestion..she is your sister not just some random annoying woman she is your annoying sister...you need to love her.......she is your family.....and showing gratefulness is always a good idea it makes people feel special.....both giver and recipient.....i wish you well...deb

• Like 2
  • Author
carefreegirl

I'm back from Florida! I had a nice time with my crazy parents.

That said...I didn't end up getting the card and my sister dropped it off. She didn't seemed too bothered by it. I gave her a goodbye hug and that was it.

Maybe I'm the one making a mountain out of a mole hill. :rolleyes:

The house was in one piece and my dog was still alive. Lol. It was a good job for her. Although I think next time Ill board my dog.....;)

• Like 1