I feel like my mother hates me

mia251

I've been noticing since I could understand things that my mum isn't very nice to me. I feel as if she doesn't like me. She always brings me down. Complains about my weight, that I'm not like other girls my own age and I should be. I failed some exams last year but later passed after re-taking them so, she says I'm dumb. I do so much for her and my younger siblings as I'm the oldest yet she says hurtful things to me. She even bitches about me to my aunty down the phone. She's hurt me physically since i can remember. She just brings me down and makes me feel like such a horrible human being. A mother is supposed to be the person of whom you can seek comfort from, who you can tell your troubles and worries to, but not mine. I keep my secrets, troubles and worries to myself. I'm 21 btw. Female. I love my siblings and my dad. i would leave home if i could but i would miss them so much. I'm with a man of whom my mum would never approve of as she isn't from the same culture but i don't really care. If i had a choice to choose between him and my family, it would be him i choose...

If your mother is physically abusing you, leave. Report her to the police & let them handle it.

If you mean that you have a physical reaction to the awful things your mother says, then you can leave the police out of this but you still need to make arrangements to get out of that house.

Mom's are supposed to love you & empower you but not all do for a variety of reasons. Mine said awful things to me too but I recognize it as her deranged way of trying to motivate me to do better. Some encouragement would have been more appropriate but she was also scared for me & was trying to make me tough. She damaged me more than she understood. As a kid I too thought she hated me. As an adult I understood the caring motives behind her actions & came to realize that the damage her mother did to her didn't give her good parenting skills.

For now can you ask your father to intervene? Have you ever said to her when she says stuff like that to you that it hurts your feelings? She may not be aware of the pain she's inflicting.