Sister pressuring me to read a book

devilish innocent

devilish innocent

My sister's been buying me books in a genre that I really don't like that much. Out of politeness, I've been reading the books and telling her they were pretty good, even though I would rather have spent that time reading something else. I finally decided to just stop reading the books she buys me. There was one she was insistent I should read, so I tried to force my way through the first chapter. I had a really hard time with it and told her I couldn't get into it. Now she keeps insisting that the first part of the book is a bit difficult, but if I stick with it, I will really love the rest of the book. I really don't think I will considering how I felt about all of the previous ones. I don't know how to tell her that I'm not interested in the books she buys me without hurting her feelings. Any suggestions?

I dont want to read it.

Please stop giving me these books I am not interested in them.

Easy.

Love the directness ! :)

I can imagine my telling my teachers that in school. A few eyebrows would have gone up...

One is a choice, the other is a mandate...

I think sisters are a combination of both...Oy vey!

i didn't like "harry potter" when i started it but after about 40 pages, i was hooked and so grateful that i gave in to my mom and didn't give up.

i have the same problem with friends when i tell them how great "a song of fire and ice/game of thrones" is. i ended up with two copies of book one because neither my sister nor my nephew will even try to read it. tho they did watch the series.

i have a friend that i meet once a week or so and we exchange books. she liked game of thrones, alot, however i don't like anything she gets for me. and i mean, she pays for books, sometimes full price and brings them to me. i take them home, bring them back and tell her, nope, not for me.

if you say, "i can't get into it" they keep pushing. so just say, "sorry, not for me".

and stick to it.

sometimes my friend and i just discuss authors. it's so much easier because it gives the other person, a generous fellow reader, a guideline to what you might enjoy.

dan brown and dick francis are out. no matter how much people try to push them on me, not gonna happen.

if you can't stand up to your sister and you can't speak up, maybe your next book should be, "how to get my sister to stop forcing me to do stuff".

j/k

good luck

• Like 2
Love the directness ! :)

I can imagine my telling my teachers that in school. A few eyebrows would have gone up...

One is a choice, the other is a mandate...

I think sisters are a combination of both...Oy vey!

In school I wouldn't have said that either. You have to read what you're given as that's how school works.

But in terms of sisters and spending your own free time being pushed to read books you just dont like I would now be losing my patience and being more direct and saying that I just dont want to read them and Im not.

Either that or repay the favour. Get the most dull books on earth in a subject she doesnt like and push them onto the sister and press her to read them!

Miss Clavel I second Dan Brown, I read one and it was just bad. The latest one is apparently so convoluted as to make no sense.

• Like 1

DI "Sorry, I couldn't get into it"

Sis "Stick with it, it will get better

DI "haha yeah....nah"

Seriously, just say No.

• Like 1

Unless she is a bully and much older than you , then I wonder how it's so difficult to say no?

Just say the way you refuse other stuff.

• Like 2

It's easier than you think. Just tell her that you have a different taste in books than she has and you don't want to read them. If she loves you and you have a good contact she will understand :)

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...