LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Familial > Family

How many times a month / meet family?

Family Parents too demanding? Sibling driving you mad? Tell us!

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th December 2016, 6:39 PM   #1
Established Member

How many times a month / meet family?

Quite simply, how many times a month (or year) do you visit parents/siblings?
Trying to see what is "normal".

Thanks!
Satu likes this.
phenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2016, 7:31 PM   #2
Established Member

A month?

I see my folks about 4 times a year, and my siblings more like 2.

We have all moved around a bit, although I live closer to my dad now.

I can't say I have seen any of them on a monthly basis since I left home for college
Satu likes this.
RecentChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2016, 7:36 PM   #3
Established Member

Journal Entries: 124
Never.

I deleted them from my life.
5x5 likes this.

"We fly to get high."
Satu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2016, 7:39 PM   #4
5x5
Established Member

I haven't visited my parents in over 4 years, although I have seen them on 3 occasions during that time.

As to siblings I visit two of them once circa every 3-4 years and one of them circa every 2 years.

I usually visit my wife's family two or three times a year, while she visits them three to four times a year.

My wife and I for the most part, do not enjoy spending time with our own families and respective in-laws. So we both tend to limit the times we see them.

Last edited by 5x5; 29th December 2016 at 7:42 PM..
5x5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2016, 9:03 PM   #5
ASG

I live in a different country to my family, so obviously don't see them as often as I'd like.

However, I do tend to make the trip back home 2 to 3 times a year, usually for extended periods. Right now I'm home for 5 weeks.

During the time I'm home, I stay at my mom's house and see my dad and brother fairly often, at least once a week or more. I see the rest of the family (aunts, uncles, cousins, etc) a few times as well during this period.

When I lived in the same country I went for dinner at my mom's every week and saw my dad every other week/every few weeks.

We have good relations and the only reason we don't see more of each other is life and distance getting in the way.
ASG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2016, 9:10 PM   #6

Both parents are deceased.

I see my son and his wife and children once a month. We talk intermittently between such visits.

When I was married, my husband and I saw our families ALOT! every other day to be fair. My kids loved visiting their grandparents and I think that had alot to do with them growing up to having great family values. My adult children try to have their own life now..But I am ever so thankful that they are not geared towards the ostracizing that is prevalent in some regions of society. We had our differences to be sure. Luckily we had healthy communication to guide us.
Tayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2016, 11:22 PM   #7
Established Member

Dad passed several years ago, but I am very close to mom and love her dearly...I take care of a lot of stuff for her and I see her a few times a week usually, and always at least on Sunday, where we share a nice early dinner as many Italians do...

Quite frankly, without being judgemental, I can't imagine only seeing mom a few times a year....It would really kill me...I am always there for her as she was for me when we were kids and times were really tough...Even though I do a lot, I doubt I could ever fully repay her..

TFY
Old 29th December 2016, 11:35 PM   #8

Weekly, usually. We live nearby and I'm close with my family. We frequently have family dinners.
dklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2016, 1:52 AM   #9
Established Member

Doesn't it depend on how far away you live? How much money you/they have to spend on travel?

But the more important question would be who cares what other people do?

This is the one relationship where you pretty much ought to know if you want to be near them and you can, or you can't, or keep them at arm's length, or have nothing to do with them.

Do what's right for the both of you. That's all.
LargoLagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2016, 12:14 PM   #10
Established Member

My father lives in a different province so once a year, but usually make sure to see him at least 5 or more times in that visit.

My mother is deceased but I visit her grave at least 2 or 3 times a year.

My in-laws live very close, it varies, but I usually see them about once a week on average.
GunslingerRoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2016, 12:25 PM   #11
Established Member

Depends....

I work with a My Brother, one Sister and a BIL so I see them everyday.. or more than I care too at times.

My Dad and Step Mom are deceased so as far as Parents that leaves my Mom, who I see about 6-8 times a year and talk to about 3 times a week, she lives about 3 hrs from where we live.

My other Sisters it also varies, one Sister we are disconnected and haven't seen each other in years but send Holiday cards even though she is local.
Another Sister lives in the same town as my Mom so I see her 6-8 times a year and my other Sister about every month or so and she is local...

Some times life has a way of happening and gets in the way of get together's... Sports, Life, Home and Work take the priority
Art_Critic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2016, 1:09 PM   #12
Established Member

I'm late twenties, life 65 miles from my dad and stepmom. My mom is deceased. I am estranged from the rest of my family.

I probably see my dad and stepmom on average around once per month or six weeks, rarely any more frequently. We're close and stay in touch usually at least once per week via messenger or Facebook, the occasional call every few weeks. Get on like a house on fire but neither of us feel the need to be in each other's pockets.

They have their life, I have mine.
BlackCherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2016, 6:37 PM   #13
vjk

My parents live close, and I see them almost every week. I see my sister almost exclusively on holidays and birthdays. About once a year to once a decade, I see other relatives such as cousins, aunts, uncles, etc.
vjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2016, 10:04 PM   #14
Established Member

We do a family dinner once a month either at my grandmother's house or my mother's. I cannot imagine not seeing my family a lot. We are all very close and we live within ten minutes of each other. This is totally normal to me.

Normal is going to look different for every single person you talk to though.
TunaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2016, 2:27 AM   #15
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dklaw View Post
Weekly, usually. We live nearby and I'm close with my family. We frequently have family dinners.
Me too.

Though my mom annoys me (I'm in my 40's and she still treats me and my siblings like kids sometimes!) but I love her.
whichwayisup is offline   Reply With Quote