Family and Culture

TennisGal

I am the oldest daughter in an Irish Catholic family.

Nobody in our family has ever been divorced. But my husband and I are divorcing (my decision) and meeting with a mediator in two weeks.

I have yet to tell my Irish Catholic parents we are divorcing. In part because I want him to participate in some family event (including Mom's 87th birthday) because he loves my parents. So we will tell them after that.

I'm 61 years old, yet telling my parents (ages 92 and almost-87) that I'm getting a divorce is highly daunting.

I am the oldest daughter in an Irish Catholic family.

Nobody in our family has ever been divorced. But my husband and I are divorcing (my decision) and meeting with a mediator in two weeks.

I have yet to tell my Irish Catholic parents we are divorcing. In part because I want him to participate in some family event (including Mom's 87th birthday) because he loves my parents. So we will tell them after that.

I'm 61 years old, yet telling my parents (ages 92 and almost-87) that I'm getting a divorce is highly daunting.

My DH was a late life baby. He was the youngest of 5 in a Catholic family. His parents are now in their mid-80's and I find them to be surprisingly not mentally rigid. They seemed to have mellowed and taken a more "Eh, that's life. Stuff happens." attitude toward things one would think they'd find really upsetting.

Your STBXH can still participate in family events once the family knows of the divorce. If you're amicable and they have a good relationship with him, there is no reason he couldn't still maintain regular contact with them.